HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 15, 2005, 10:09 PM
ontheweekend
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2004
202 Posts
What can I use for my work bench underlay to put pins into?

Hi,

I was wondering what everyone used as an underlay on their workbench so you can push pins into it?

I have tried MDF and Ply, but they are a little hard, the pins will bend, and it can be a real pain to put them in.

Is there a product or something that serious builders use?

Many thanks
Rob
ontheweekend is offline Find More Posts by ontheweekend
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2005, 10:15 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
acoustic cieling tile is popular.. it conforms to the surface under it... so you need a flat surface and can't be moving it off the workbendch. gives you a 2 ftX 4 ft pinning surface.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Jul 16, 2005, 10:46 AM
Joined Jun 2005
26 Posts
Cork board

I bought a cork board from staples. Tape down the plan and pin away!
Plus it's got a wood frame and is more durable and movable than ceiling tile.
Greg
construkt is offline Find More Posts by construkt
Old Jul 16, 2005, 10:47 AM
Northford, CT
Joined Feb 2005
532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhhuber506771
acoustic cieling tile is popular.. it conforms to the surface under it... so you need a flat surface and can't be moving it off the workbendch. gives you a 2 ftX 4 ft pinning surface.
What he said.

I've tried most of the non-commercial surfaces. I was partial to gypsum board (sheet rock) for awhile, but I gave that up because I was getting pieces that were not uniform in thickness, also my town considers gypsum to be building material and wont accept them in the trash.

I'm using ceiling tile right now and that seems to work OK. The thickness is uniform and it's easy on the pins. Celiing tile will not stand to be used as a cutting surface-- you need someting else for that.

Just make sure the surface under the tile is straight and uniform (Check with a metal straightedge/yardstick available at Home Despot. You can also use spray on contact cement to insure the tile stays flat.

Good luck.
Yardbird is offline Find More Posts by Yardbird
Old Jul 16, 2005, 11:38 AM
the-plumber
Joined Feb 2003
1,094 Posts
It sometimes helps to note where the respondent lives . . .

Referring someone in Oz to The BORG or Staples won't do him much good.

Acoustical ceiling tile works (as was noted above), as does sheet foam building insulation, if you lot use that stuff.

For example, the Owens-Corning web site indicates their "Formular" is available in Oz.

That's what I use on my building table.
the-plumber is offline Find More Posts by the-plumber
Old Jul 16, 2005, 04:57 PM
Marion
USA, NC, Hillsborough
Joined Oct 2003
1,020 Posts
acoustic cieling tile works great for me ....
Marion is offline Find More Posts by Marion
Old Jul 16, 2005, 06:45 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
I use big piece of high density foam..
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Jul 16, 2005, 06:54 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
I'm using a piece of drywall - it's huge and easily takes pins. The downside is the same as ceiling tile in that you need to have a flat surface underneath it.

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Jul 17, 2005, 05:06 PM
Melbourne, Eastern Sub.
Joined Sep 2004
306 Posts
I just got a 1200 x 900 sheet of partical board (cant remember how thick), and used builders wood glu to glue 300 x 300 cork flooring tiles directly to it.

All at your local Bunnings store.
ravencsr is offline Find More Posts by ravencsr
Old Jul 29, 2005, 09:18 AM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,335 Posts
So far this one has been my ultimate building board for pinning things down to. A 2' x 4' untextured ceiling tile with 1/8" cork laminated to both sides and banded around the edge with wood. Total thickness is 3/4". http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=42

I used to use cork covered bulletin boards but they are expensive and usually have a frame that needs to be removed to get the board to lay flat on the bench.
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Old Jul 29, 2005, 06:28 PM
Vintage wood is the best!
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,835 Posts
Homasote board is by far the best thing to use.........you need to go to a lumber yard to get it....a real lumber yard....not Home Despot or Slowes! It's grey in color and made from recycled paper....takes pins real easy and as long as you don't get it wet it will stay flat.......it comes in 4 x 8 sheets for about $20 http://www.homasote.com/
If you look at this site they have a supplier locater that will tell you where to get it.
SZD16 is offline Find More Posts by SZD16
Old Sep 02, 2006, 05:51 PM
INOVATE
CLEVELAND UK
Joined Aug 2006
4 Posts
I use that brown card type of laminated flooring underlay, takes pins very well and also deals with minor cutting very well, it come's in packs's of six each 3' x 2.5'. you have to use a nice flat building board but the underlay come's in a thickness range from 1/4" to 1.5".... Im in the UK and franks flooring is the place....
techno-shaman is offline Find More Posts by techno-shaman
Old Sep 02, 2006, 06:25 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,517 Posts
I like cork floor tiles glued down onto flat top things dont slide around as the cork tends to grip,and you can pick them up cheap from remnant sales.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Sep 03, 2006, 04:46 AM
Joined Aug 2006
74 Posts
I went to a school junk sale and picked up 4 large cork boards, i un framed them then I laid a copy of my plans on top. Then i taped a large piece of butchers or wax paper on top of every thing. That way i can see the plans and not get glue on them. Total thickness is about an inch (each sheet was a little over a 1/4" thick and i glued them all together using a rubber cement)
lvmike is offline Find More Posts by lvmike
Old Sep 07, 2006, 05:20 PM
Austin Tx
Joined Dec 2003
14 Posts
foam board works great for me on top of a glass pane or a sturdy bench<dining table>. its light, cheap, can be easily cut down for smaller projects, and can be used for many other things. I generally use a stack of two sheets and pin then together at the corners.

Nicholas
jaggeedfire is offline Find More Posts by jaggeedfire