SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 25, 2002, 12:15 AM
Shirley, New York, United States
Joined Apr 2002
250 Posts
micro coaxial helicopter design ideas

Hi all... I've been kicking around the idea of designing a micro heli with coaxial rotors. 4 lifting blades would allow the blades to be much shorter, plus the tail rotor would be eliminated. What you gain is one heck of a lot of complexity. In my search for some info, I came upon a great site for coaxial info.

Has anyone here heard of the Gyrodyne qh-50? These were RC helicopters built for the armed forces. They began flying off the back of destroyers in the 60s. Though they were RC, these heli's are really more full scale... they were ment to drop bombs and torpedos on the enemy. Check out www.gyrodynehelicopters.com
There are some great pictures there of how the transmission was done, and some of the control linkages. I really was impressed at how they controled yaw. They used rotor tip brakes! there are pictures of the tip brakes on 'our founder' page.

These helicopters are still being flown today as target drones out at the white sands missle range. Sadly, the site where they were built (about 10 miles from my home) is now rented out mainly as fairgrounds.

So, how about it? anyone here ever even seen a coaxial? My first design quandry would be about motors... would it be better to use one motor and gear it, or 2 motors wired in parallel or series?

-Adam
afabio is offline Find More Posts by afabio
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2002, 12:22 AM
Dangerous
LA
Joined Nov 2001
871 Posts
I just saw a show on the discovery channel(I believe) that showcased r/c flying machines for the military. There was a little foamy disc about the size of a small frisbee that had a camera on it that flew about 25mph. They also showed about 3 designs of helicopter type robots. One of them was just like the design you mentioned but it was about a 60 size heli rotorspan. They could pretty much fly by themselves with the use of gyros. All these were battery powered I believe because they were very quiet and meant for surveillance. Did anyone else see that show?
Spaulding is offline Find More Posts by Spaulding
Old Apr 25, 2002, 12:26 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,803 Posts
I have recently seen a 2 rotor IC heli (link posted here) that had a rotor above and below the fus.

In EFI there was a coaxial a year or so ago.
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Apr 25, 2002, 08:48 AM
Sticky Shepherd
Oxford/England
Joined May 2001
4,017 Posts
Have a look in the "Firefly, the smallest heli experiment yet !" thread, we have been discussing all manner of daft concepts. No that this is daft but it's along a similar line.

Graham
Graham Stabler is offline Find More Posts by Graham Stabler