HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 14, 2005, 11:43 AM
Sudbury, Ont. Canada
Joined Apr 2005
63 Posts
Any Foam Sea Planes Out There?

After reading about all the squirrelly take offs, lack of power issue due to added weight (using stock motors) and position/alignment problems when adding floats to a parkflyer sized plane (in the 10-25 oz range) I'm wondering if there are any inexpensive Sea Plane/Flying Boat type foam planes on the market that I haven't come across yet?

I would think that a pusher prop type setup (similar to the Hobbico Aerobird), or a smaller foam version of the Aventura might be a good. I'd bet if GWS put something like this out it would be a good seller!

Bill
sheleb is offline Find More Posts by sheleb
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2005, 12:29 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jan 2003
1,284 Posts
Bill:

From what I have seen so far the Formosa on GWS floats is a good bet.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=formosa+

I am flying a Soarstar with floats - but it is a real handful on takeoff. I hand launch and recover to water.

David
Toronto
Ironsides is offline Find More Posts by Ironsides
Old Jul 14, 2005, 12:37 PM
Sayre,PA
Joined Sep 2002
1,664 Posts
Well sort of a Seaplane is the Slow Stick Flying Boat. Very stable on the water and will fly fine with the stock motor. Assuming you have some motors on hand, buy the Slow Stick Glider version for about $20 and you can make the flying boat part for about $5 worth of materials. Post is here.
jimsp is offline Find More Posts by jimsp
Old Jul 14, 2005, 03:06 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Arrow 5 posted pics a few months ago of a GWS BN2 that he had converted to seaplane (not floats), a project that I will attempt soon. If he chimes in here, he may have some performance info to share. It looks SO cool...
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Jul 14, 2005, 03:21 PM
Plane psycho
Trondheim Vaernes, Norway
Joined Jan 2003
85 Posts
Arrow 5 is not the only one that have mod'ed the GWS BN2...
Here is my "Sea T Islelander", still not ROW...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341165
Insanety is offline Find More Posts by Insanety
Old Jul 23, 2005, 01:10 AM
More props are better than One
United States, AL
Joined Nov 2004
2,161 Posts
STS SeaPlane

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372857
TaSaJaRa is offline Find More Posts by TaSaJaRa
Old Jul 24, 2005, 02:54 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,823 Posts
i have built several from fanfold and one GWS plane .. pics follow..

i couldnt find a pic of my tigermoth on floats but it was a favorite till the Brother In-law killed it with a box of books
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Old Jul 25, 2005, 02:40 PM
Sao Paulo, Brasil
Joined Aug 2004
600 Posts
I made some waterplanes, but the first ( Canadair CL215 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377440 ) is still my favorite.

I made a dozen floats for my friends too, the best results are:

- Twin-engine flying boat (Canadair CL215 or any flying boat with this setup) with brushed direct-drive motor and small propeller (the hull didn't add much weight or drag, and the motors on top of wing don't have moment enough to make it dive when full power). Anythink with this setup will probably be a good flyer and takeoff from water easly too.

- SlowFlyers with floats (GWS SlowStick, GWS PicoTigerMoth, GWS E-Starter, GWS Beaver). The floats adds some weight and drag, but the thrust line is near the CG, so it didn't try to dive when full power too).

- Any WIG-like model, when ground effect helps takeoff from the water. The Twinkle is a excelent example, my friend made one and it ROW easily.

For the first float plane I suggest the first setup, for some good reasons:

1) The risk of roll over the nose and become upside down is much lower due to lower Center of Gravity;
2) This kind of setup will not fly worst just because needs to takeoff from water;
3) This setup can handle hard landings on water or on margins;
4) In this setup if the waterplane falls upside-down on water you will be capable to drive it back to you, with a small amount of power on motors and using rudder for direction;
5) Brushed motor ESC is simpler and will not lock if motor is running under water.

The great hint to make any model takeoff from the water is the format of the hull or float. The best results I got are with flat hull with an step after the CG (on the leading edge of the wing on CL215).

An important thing is the corners of the hull (between the bottom and the sides) must be sharp angles, not rounded. Sharp corners make it plane over water. Round corners make it dive on the water (due to coanda effect).

I make then from expanded polystirene foam, because it is the most logical material to make something to float. To lower the drag I cover the hull or float it with color (or transparent) packing tape (some 3M#77 spray glue helps the packing to keep in place).

Wing tip floats can be simply a flat depron rectangle (2" by 3" is enough for a 50" plane) with 15 degrees incidence.

On my SeaPlanes I try to place all electronics on mid-fuselage, 2 inches above the bottom and 2 inches below the top. This is enough to prevent it from got wet even when the plane crashs on the water.

I use a small party baloon, or plastic film, packing tape or anything like that to pack the receiver and the speed control as an extra protection.

An small extension of the tail rudder below water (water rudder) is a good idea to make it more easy to control when taxing on water.

I know it is a bit list, but looking at my CL215 post is easy to see how it was done.
alexcmag is offline Find More Posts by alexcmag
Old Jul 27, 2005, 04:47 PM
Lyon (France)
Joined Apr 2004
258 Posts
Two depron and foam flying boat : a Sea Otter and a large (2m wing span) Latecoere 631.

The Late build thread : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328968
Eric.Payan is offline Find More Posts by Eric.Payan
Old Jul 28, 2005, 06:12 AM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,467 Posts
I've got a Flying Styro Kits Bumble Bee kit in the cellar waiting for me to find the time to build it.

Neat looking model IMHO.
ChrisP is offline Find More Posts by ChrisP
Old Jul 28, 2005, 11:05 AM
I can't fly
Sammamish, Washington
Joined Sep 2003
336 Posts
sheleb,
Try this all foam Pelican from Foamfly.com, I am pretty happy with it!

Chris P,
I also have a yet to be completed Bumble Bee – in the process of making the wing detachable so I can adjust the wing incidence, some said it can not do ROG (ROW?). The tip floats in your picture looks different then mine.
EP_Soarer is offline Find More Posts by EP_Soarer
Old Jul 28, 2005, 11:51 AM
Sao Paulo, Brasil
Joined Aug 2004
600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EP_Soarer
sheleb,
Chris P,
I also have a yet to be completed Bumble Bee – in the process of making the wing detachable so I can adjust the wing incidence, some said it can not do ROG (ROW?). The tip floats in your picture looks different then mine.
If your BumbleBee can't ROW you can sand the "V" hull to make a "flat hull" with a 1/2" step 1" or 2" after the CG.

A less destructive aproach if you just want to make a test is make a "flat hull" extension you can attach to the hull with packing tape. The top of this "extension" must match the current hull shape, and the bottom must be flat with a step as above.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 09:31 PM
I can't fly
Sammamish, Washington
Joined Sep 2003
336 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion alexmag, appreciated.

The Bumble Bee’s V hull is a thin plastic over foam; it would require a major “surgery” to change it into a “flat hull”.

For now I would just play with different setting of wing incidence. If she still refuses to “ROW” then I’ll try your “flat hull extension” method!

Happy flying over Sao Paulo!
EP_Soarer is offline Find More Posts by EP_Soarer
Old Jul 29, 2005, 07:38 AM
Sao Paulo, Brasil
Joined Aug 2004
600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EP_Soarer

The Bumble Bee’s V hull is a thin plastic over foam; it would require a major “surgery” to change it into a “flat hull”.

For now I would just play with different setting of wing incidence. If she still refuses to “ROW” then I’ll try your “flat hull extension” method!
Be carefull with wing incidence, or it can be impossible to control.

Have you tried to push the elevator to get some speed and then pull it to get airborne? It worked sometimes with my friend's flying boat.

Later I used this "extension" method on his boat, make a flat hull and sanded to fit the original hull, the result was perfect, now it can ROW smoothly.

Other method I used on a friend's flying boat is to add hydrofoils, my friends called it "Johnny Quest" style

Quote:
Happy flying over Sao Paulo!
Thanks, flying anyplace is always happy
Old Aug 17, 2005, 10:39 PM
Joined Apr 2005
81 Posts
ive got an14" machi m-33 out pink styro witm an air hogs electric and a double a battery flys great takes forever to kill the battery ,lost it a couple times lukly it floats good. sorry i cant find any picks
sackas-6 is offline Find More Posts by sackas-6