HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2002, 12:05 AM
Santa Barbara/Roseville, California
Joined Dec 2001
306 Posts
Need crystal for Futaba Skysport 4 channel transmitter, where to buy??

I just won a 4 channel skysport transmitter (just the transmitter and battery) and I need to get the crystal that goes in the transmitter, where would I find one or which site should I check. I only paid $27.00 for a almost new radio, not too bad, I already have everything else!!

It was kinda by accident that I won, but I am stoked because now I can fly a 4 channel plane!!

Thanks for your time,

Mike Arnoult

(Time to get a Zero!! or?????)
mike93 is offline Find More Posts by mike93
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2002, 12:11 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,803 Posts
Xtal

You cannot legaly get a TX xtal in the USA per FCC rules. They must be sent to the mftr or repair station for tunning to do so.

RX xtals are OK, just not TX.

Now you may find someone who has a spare, just be sure it is compatible with your Futaba. The above rule still applies though.

Good Luck
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Last edited by Fred Bronk; Apr 25, 2002 at 12:14 AM.
Old Apr 25, 2002, 12:14 AM
Stow, MA
Joined Mar 2002
1,041 Posts
Mike,

Do you have any idea what channel the Tx was originally on? Is there still a sticker on the back with the channel number?

You can buy crystals at www.towerhobbies.com (and other places I'm sure) for the Futaba radios. Normally you should try to stay in the same half (hi/lo) of the frequency channels that the original crystal was on. Otherwise, it might be a good idea to send the Tx in to get it calibrated with a new crystal.

Good luck.

Carl
cfossa is offline Find More Posts by cfossa
Old Apr 25, 2002, 12:14 AM
Dangerous
LA
Joined Nov 2001
871 Posts
Ebay? It's a buddy box. If the seller didn't mention this then you might want to dispute it and ask for your money back.
Spaulding is offline Find More Posts by Spaulding
Old Apr 25, 2002, 12:16 AM
Stow, MA
Joined Mar 2002
1,041 Posts
Re: Xtal

Quote:
Originally posted by Fred Bronk
You cannot legaly get a TX xtal in the USA per FCC rules. They must be sent to the mftr or repair station for tunning to do so.

RX xtals are OK, just not TX.

Now you may find someone who has a spare, just be sure it is compatible with your Futaba. The above rule still applies though.

Good Luck
Mike,

Fred is correct. Sorry. Only Rx crystals for sale at Tower

Carl
cfossa is offline Find More Posts by cfossa
Old Apr 25, 2002, 12:44 AM
Santa Barbara/Roseville, California
Joined Dec 2001
306 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I did not purchase it yet!! I did write the seller a email stating my case and I will have to wait and see. I hope that I don't have to buy the radio if it does not have the crystal. I guess that I should have asked, but I assumed that I could get a crystal. Assume: Ass out of you and me. (ASS-U-ME)

I think that ebay is a waste of time and will stick with buying my stuff elsewhere.

Anyone selling a 4 channel futaba/hitec radio??

Mike
mike93 is offline Find More Posts by mike93
Old Apr 25, 2002, 12:53 AM
Dangerous
LA
Joined Nov 2001
871 Posts
Mike, I have to say that I've heard that one before from ebay newbies. It's too easy for someone who has no feedback to just back out of an auction they won. It gets to be really aggravating. I don't know if you are new to ebay but I would suggest you carry out your end of the deal. I hate it that you got taken but if the seller described the product accurately then it is your responsibility to research it. If he did not describe it accurately then dispute it. Sorry for whining.
Spaulding is offline Find More Posts by Spaulding
Old Apr 25, 2002, 07:05 AM
Eat, Sleep, Fly!
Joined Mar 2001
659 Posts
ebay

I have bought hundreds of items on ebay without a single problem (kow). Just be sure to ask the right questions and get the answers before you post your bid. It is a great place to get good deals. [I do not deal with anyone with negative feedback]

BTW: I do not sell on ebay now altho I did sell some old radio tubes several years ago. I decided it was a buyer's market, not a seller's market. [kow = knock on wood]
realglow is offline Find More Posts by realglow
Last edited by realglow; Apr 25, 2002 at 07:08 AM.
Old Apr 25, 2002, 08:37 AM
Just an average RC'er
Laurel, Maryland USA
Joined Aug 2000
4,291 Posts
I know off topic, but you should really be careful on eBay. In my experiance ebay is a sellers market. I sell things on ebay all the time and find that there are a LOT of people who don't do research before they bid. For example I typically sell RC related items for 10-30% ABOVE retail price...that is just plain silly. There is a Futaba 9CAF tx on ebay right now, the bid is up to $330.00, you can go to bruckners or national hobby supply right now and buy the same thing for $259.00... I just bought 4 9c's to resell on ebay.
Jim McPherson is offline Find More Posts by Jim McPherson
Old Apr 25, 2002, 05:04 PM
Mad Scientist
South west, Va
Joined Nov 2001
385 Posts
You can get the skyport 4 transmitter with battery and crystal for $29 and National hobby supply, You can spend $5 more and get the charger also =) You will have to call or e-mail them to get the deal, It is not listed on the website.

http://www.nationalhobbysupplyinc.com/

Later
Jay
jayboy is offline Find More Posts by jayboy
Old Apr 25, 2002, 05:59 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Mike, look on the bright side, now you have a perfect flight sim interface.

I have to agree with Spaulding that it's not right to back out after the auction. Contact the seller with your concern and ask if he will let you out of the deal. Explain you made a mistake and see what he says. A lot of times the seller doesn't care, some will insist you pay for it, others will just put it back up for auction. Not that I've ever backed out, but I've had sellers tell me that if I changed my mind, no problem, or offered to send it for me to examine with a full money back guarantee, I find most of the sellers on EBay are resonable to work with.)

And I also have to agree with Jim all the way. If you don't do the research EBay can be dangerous. I hardly ever look there anymore because of exactly what he said, things selling OVER the street price.

my 2 cents,

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Apr 29, 2002, 05:03 PM
MK
NJ
Joined Feb 2001
1,198 Posts
Re: Re: Xtal

Quote:
Originally posted by cfossa

Mike,

Fred is correct. Sorry. Only Rx crystals for sale at Tower

Carl
OK, maybe I'm confused. Then why don't you just buy the Tx/Rx set to get the Tx crystal?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXH282**&P=7
MK is offline Find More Posts by MK
Old Apr 29, 2002, 05:39 PM
Worcester, MA.
Joined Nov 2001
1,408 Posts
Quote:
Then why don't you just buy the Tx/Rx set to get the Tx crystal?
Now I'm very confused. Fred is correct; it is illegal for an individual to change the broadcast frequency (channel) on a transmitter in the US. Only licensed technicians/facilities can do this legally, so why (HOW) is Tower selling crystals?
DBCherry is offline Find More Posts by DBCherry
Old Apr 29, 2002, 06:03 PM
Bonney Lake, WA
Joined Jan 2002
788 Posts
It is legal to buy tx crystals of the same frequency which you use. You are also allowed to replace your crystal as long as it is one of the saem frequency. Receivers are fair game, however. I recommend finding out which channel the tx came on and buying a replacement crystal.
flyfalcons is offline Find More Posts by flyfalcons
Old Apr 29, 2002, 09:49 PM
Arkansas
Joined Sep 2001
252 Posts
Surely Someone Out Here Knows...

(Originally posted by Abfliegen)

Quote:
My understanding of this situation is:

1. You can replace Tx crystals of the same frequency as Tx was manufactured with no (legal) problem. If you change frequency of Tx crystal, it must be done by a "licensed" technition who can test/tune the rf (radio frequency) output stage of the Tx to meet FCC requirements.

2. You can change Rx crystals to any frequency you desire within the same band (27mh, 72mh, etc.) No problem.

FCC only regulates transmissions -- not receptions.

If I'm wrong on any of this, I welcome any corrections. I am not FCC affiliated.
A small point still unresolved here, like, whatever an FCC rule is, or something like that! Surely someone out here knows the scoop. Can you replace a Tx crystal of the same frequency and type at home -- legally? Whadda ya say Fred B....?

Happy Flying,
Abfliegen ~
abfliegen is offline Find More Posts by abfliegen