SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 22, 2001, 08:54 AM
DLC
Houston, TX USA
Joined Jun 2001
359 Posts
Micro-light Build Questiions

Thanks for your help. Based on your suggestions, I have decided what to do with everything but the battery. For several reasons I want to be able to replace it quickly and easily. I haven't found a straightforward way to do that with the Micro-Bipe design. I may, at least for initial flights, take a brute force approach and just strap it under the fuselage.

[This message has been edited by DLC (edited 06-23-2001).]
DLC is offline Find More Posts by DLC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2001, 10:24 AM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
I use scotch tape to hinge my tail surfaces on my DuskStik. Works great so far.

Doug
www.duskstik.com
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber
Old Jun 22, 2001, 11:12 AM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,730 Posts
I'll second the tape idea. I used to use really cut down CA type hinges, but tape is easier and I think it works better. I use Magic tape which is much stronger than scotch tape.

I glue components in. If I'm trying to save weight, I cut the mounting tabs off of servos- rails are too heavy anyhow. Rxs I generally let flop around- they're so light the wires attached keep them around. I use Zap a Dap A Goo II for gluing motors on, batteries etc. The stuff is strong, sticks to nearly anything- watch out on foam though-sets up quick and if you're really determined you can pull it off. I've glued a Turbo 450 motor on an airplane with this stuff, and I'm not worried about it. Use small amounts of CA to make sure that the position of your battery is correct, mark it, break it loose, and use this stuff.

Sam Brauer
Norwalk, CT
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Jun 22, 2001, 01:38 PM
WAR
Austin, TX, USA
Joined Apr 2001
70 Posts
I have a Micro-Lite which is a prebuilt ARF balsa/covered slowflyer (8.5oz).

I was built by the factory with some type of clear cellophane tape (scotch or magic). Anyway the horizontal control surfaces on the elevator were misaligned so I had to remove and replace with my own tape.

I used Crystal Clear Scotch tape as replacement and has worked great. I used Clear Scotch Packing Tape on my Litestik and that has lasted forever. Very good stuff, easy to get, easy to install, lightweight and cheap!!!
WAR is offline Find More Posts by WAR
Old Jun 22, 2001, 01:45 PM
WAR
Austin, TX, USA
Joined Apr 2001
70 Posts
To clarify:

The Micro-Lite uses tape as a hinge for the built-up tail surfaces. The tape sticks very well on the Litespan covering.

In my Micro-Lite (built-up fuselage, not a stick) the servos are secured with double-sided tape. The battery is secured with hook and loop fastener (Velcro). And the 280 motor and Horst geardrive are mounted with screws to the firewall on the front of the plane.

These are very light-weight solutions. Like I mentioned previously, it weighed only 8.5oz complete including battery. Pretty light for a 280 speed plane with 8-cell 300mAh NiMH.
WAR is offline Find More Posts by WAR
Old Jun 22, 2001, 02:17 PM
RPV builder & operator
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2001
2,303 Posts
There's a clear medical tape, like band-aid material, but I forget the exact name, which is great for full length hinges. It's about 1" wide, comes in a 'scotch tape' like dispenser, it's waterproof and very flexible. Available at most drugstores.
Pierre Audette is offline Find More Posts by Pierre Audette