HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2005, 09:08 PM
RC is Lekker!
Johnson City, TN
Joined Feb 2004
879 Posts
GWS Formosa Build Thread

Well - I got sucked in....was at the LHS just looking around and ended up picking out a Formosa Slope Glider kit.

Plan on installing my Himax 2015-4100 in the plane with a 3S lipo.

Noticed something about the kit though. First - It came with Formosa II decals instead. They are larger and with an American Flag design. Second, The wing spar is a carbon rod instead of the standard wood.

Is this normal for the formosa kit? Or did I end up with some special model? It was only 29.00 - what a deal!

Picked up some monokote to wrap the control surfaces in - makes them alot stronger and looks great too. Leaving the landing gear off to make it as light as possible.

Also picked up some balsa stock for the airlerons to stiffen them up and help with the rolls.

Very impressed with the kit so far. Will post some photos tomorrow.
nitroaddict is offline Find More Posts by nitroaddict
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2005, 06:01 AM
Purdue Engineering
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
2,624 Posts
That is a normal Formosa kit. The Formosa is now supplied with different decals. I just finished mine and maidened it on Sunday. It flies great, even with the stock motor. You won't regret your purchase.
Rocketman1092 is online now Find More Posts by Rocketman1092
Last edited by Rocketman1092; Jul 12, 2005 at 06:08 AM.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 07:20 AM
RC is Lekker!
Johnson City, TN
Joined Feb 2004
879 Posts
Thanks for the info - just caught me as unusual compared to the other GWS kits I have purchased.

One interesting thing that I am doing, which so far is looking great, is a technique I learned in a Quiet Flyer magazine. After filling the molding holes and seem lines with white balsa-rite spackling, I thinned it with water till it was the consistancy of merenge. Once complete, I painted it on the foam with a brush and let it dry. After it was dry, sanded it about 90% off and was left with foam that now has all the little indentions and open areas between the foam beads filled. The plane is now silky smooth, you wouldn't even know it was foam!!!

Tested the weight difference on the wing and fuse, and after this modification, weight gain was only .05oz for the fuse and .08oz for the wing. Basically, none.

I would recommend this to anyone. I will post some photos either this afternoon or evening.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 05:30 PM
San Jose ca USA
Joined May 2005
102 Posts
The decals your refering to are the 3-d formosa stickers.I don't no why there there using them maybe to get rid of extra stock
The black rod is actualy fiberglass,wich used to be white fiberglass.
The formosa never used wood sticks.
Warbirdflyr is offline Find More Posts by Warbirdflyr
Old Jul 13, 2005, 07:25 AM
RC is Lekker!
Johnson City, TN
Joined Feb 2004
879 Posts
Well - the build is coming together nicely - the spackling really smoothed out the foam. Using econocote to cover the control surfaces added alot of structural rigidity to them, but I might take it off, as covering foam is no easy task. The airlerons are about the same size as stock, maybe just a hair bigger, but made of balsa and are much much stiffer. Here are a couple of quick photos showing the start of the paint job. I just layed everything together for the pic - the model is not as completed as it looks.

Old Jul 13, 2005, 11:00 AM
Purdue Engineering
Joined Jan 2005
2,624 Posts
Wow, nice paint job! Here's mine:
Old Jul 14, 2005, 03:22 PM
RC is Lekker!
Johnson City, TN
Joined Feb 2004
879 Posts
Question for everyone - I chose not to install any landing gear for weight savings and aerodynamics. Is anyone covering of filling in the holes for the landing gear mounts to improve the looks, or to increase airflow over the lower part of the wing?
Old Jul 14, 2005, 04:17 PM
Purdue Engineering
Joined Jan 2005
2,624 Posts
You could glue the langing gear mounts in or just cover the holes with plastic from a plastic cup or hand soap bottle.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 04:18 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroaddict
Question for everyone - I chose not to install any landing gear for weight savings and aerodynamics. Is anyone covering of filling in the holes for the landing gear mounts to improve the looks, or to increase airflow over the lower part of the wing?
I would just cut to fit peice of white matching foam and insert it under pressue or with a double sticky tape/foam reel peice and go fly. This way you can remove it and try out the landing gear setup, if you chance your mind.

I replaced the landing gear wire with a thicker wire and it holds up much better and still use the stock Black Plastic Fixed Landing gear mounts but, I carefully drill out the holes to accept the thicker wire. The bending is super easy.

Here's my thread and a couple of pic's my mine.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269342
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Jul 14, 2005, 08:20 PM
RC is Lekker!
Johnson City, TN
Joined Feb 2004
879 Posts
Great idea guys - I like the idea about just filling it in with foam and double stick tape - I have foam from the original airlerons, so I guess I can use that.

Update on the build - got alot acomplished today. About the only thing left to do is install the rudder and elevator servos, rcvr, batts, and powerplant. Here are some photos of the plane now - you can really see how nice the monokote came out once it was ironed down and shinking was done.

Old Jul 14, 2005, 08:35 PM
victim of the system
Home of the Toledo RC show
Joined Jul 2003
2,486 Posts
I chose to use the landing gear on mine....I like ROG's and nice smooth landings. Depending on which wheels you use there is some drag , but in the one I used to fly I had the rz2500 with 3s TP2100 , so drag was not too much of an issue...it performed well but my have better without landing gear...just never tried it ...there was no need....a pic of my first formosa with the razor 2500a ...
TooTall is offline Find More Posts by TooTall
Old Jul 14, 2005, 08:40 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
There was a thread about Aileron Flutter and it dealt with the GWS FORMOSA and that threat is at:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...on+Fiber+Reel+

I posted a tip on what I did to stregthen those foam ailerons on my Formosa.
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Jul 14, 2005, 09:45 PM
RC is Lekker!
Johnson City, TN
Joined Feb 2004
879 Posts
Tootall - nice looking formosa - I see you went with a burst pattern too.

Guapo - Interesting - The balsa airlerons I made are extremely stable, so no flutter should exist. No play either, as the control rod fits very snugly.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 07:56 PM
RC is Lekker!
Johnson City, TN
Joined Feb 2004
879 Posts
Well - The plane is complete - came out extremly light - only 15.25oz!!! Amazing - I didnt really do anything to lighten the plane, either. Very suprised with the addition of the monokote and balsa that it came out so light - that weight was AUW as well, 3S lipo included.

Cant wait to fly tomorrow morning - COG came out about 3-4mm behind the wingspar - is this ok?

Here are some pics.

And here is a picture of my GWS collection. The pink beaver is my girlfriend's plane. Boy, she's gonna kill me for that comment.

Old Jul 16, 2005, 07:49 AM
RC is Lekker!
Johnson City, TN
Joined Feb 2004
879 Posts
Well - today is the day guys - headed out to the flying field in about 15mins for the maiden flight of the Formosa - I hope I am ready. I have become very proficient on the clipped wing ES, and can fly my PT-17 pretty well, but am unsure if I am ready for this bird. Set the control throws very low on the airlerons, so we shall see. Running the 2015 on C gearing with a 9x6 prop and a 3S pack. Flight report in a couple hours.