HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 24, 2002, 12:51 PM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Newest Addition to fleet...The Bat

I've finally finished Balsaman's "The Bat". I've included a pic below. Fuse and formers are all balsa and covered in red and green packing tape. I would've tried something like monocote but I don't have any. Wing is foam and covered with packing tape. For wing spars, I used 2 inch filament tape. HS-81 servos are mounted underneath wing and buried in the foam. Permax direct 400 6 volt motor with zagi prop. Dymond 20 for esc and Hitec Feather on channel 36 is the rx. Batteries will be primarily
600 mah nicads, 7 and 8 cell. There is a battery hatch cut out
in the top wing. Since I have different battery configs, I will use velcro to hold battery in its bay. Motor is mounted via aluminum 400 mount that is glued and taped to the front. This kit wasn't very difficult to build. Maiden flight will be this evening provided winds cooperate.

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2002, 09:33 PM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Okay, got the maiden flight in. Flew 3 packs in it. There was a slight breeze. On the 7 cell 600 AE's, The Bat flew pretty quick.
Had to give it a little right trim. It got up to a couple of hundred feet in no time! It was hard to see since the bat isn't a large plane. Did a few loops and a roll. Rolls pretty quick. The more I flew it, the more I like it. About the same performance as my Razor. After the 1st pack, I toned down the dual rates and expo.
I also cut the throttle a little. As compared to the Razor, I got about 1 minute more flight time. Last pack was the 7 cell 600 nicad that comes with the scooter. After launch, I barely got it to climb because of the punch of the pack. Definetly, the 7 cell 600 Razor packs work good. I think an 8 cell would be a little better.
No crashes in 3 flights. Hehe, even hit the CG pretty much on.

Dave...
Old Apr 24, 2002, 11:16 PM
It's just PLANE silly!
Ontario
Joined Jan 2002
915 Posts
congats!

Congrats Lucky on succesful flights! What was the AUW? I think you will like the bat on 8 cells. Give it a try.

Eric
balsaman is offline Find More Posts by balsaman
Old Apr 25, 2002, 06:59 AM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Eric, AUW with the 7 cell 600 AE's is 16.7 oz. Flying takes a little
finesse with the sticks as it doesn't take much control to get to
loop or roll. And, how I have the motor mounted per your instructions and the aluminum mount, it is very quiet at full throttle. The model is really zippy!!! I didn't expect it would be that quick. Then again, there isn't all that much drag to the design. The hatch door in the wing, I just used clear packing tape
as a hinge and two clear strips folded over at the end as opening
tabs. Seemed to work well. What would be cool if you designed
a bigger version. Something like a 600 or 700 version. 52 to 60 inch wingspan. Then I'd have something to combat the C-130's
that fly a few hundred feet over my house every night. I am completely satisfied with the model!!!

Dave...
Old Apr 25, 2002, 05:53 PM
It's just PLANE silly!
Ontario
Joined Jan 2002
915 Posts
bigger

I have had a couple requests for a larger Bat. Currently, the Giles kit is consuming most of my extra design time. I am building a third prototype and writing the instruction manual based on the build. I had Beta test kits cut and will be sending those out as soon as the instruction manual is ready.

When I get caught up I will consider a bigger Bat. I prefer the smaller birds right now though and I like to design what I like to fly....someday maybe.

Happy flying!

Eric
balsaman is offline Find More Posts by balsaman
Old Apr 25, 2002, 07:46 PM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Giles sounds interesting! Let us all know when it is finalized.
I may grab one from ya!

Dave...