HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2005, 06:50 PM
New Hampshire
Joined Jul 2004
235 Posts
tx for 1.2 Ghz cam can be used with a Nikon

Hey All

It was very windy today, so I couldn't fly, I didn't know what to do with myself .

Before I put the money down on a Black Widow system ( to down link my Nikon 5600 ), I wanted to test the concept, and this is what I came up with.

I have a 1.2 Ghz cam and rx, I got it for $50, it actually works quite well, I get at least the 1000 foot range they claim.

Because I have had this cam apart before, I knew there was a video board and a tx board.

I probed the tx card ( only 3 wires +9, Ground, and video in) and found the video in wire, so I put a RCA connector on it.

I tested it and it works ( bench test ), the movie I have included is the same 34 sec segment, but recorder to computer in different ways.

http://www.aerialstudios.net/cam1.wmv

First clip is the Nikon connected directly to my computer via the Nikon cables.

Second clip is the Nikon connected to the 1.2 Ghz tx and the rx to the computer.

Third clip is the movie as captured by the SD card ( this should look the best), this clip looks like crap, I had to convert it from MOV to WMV then compress it, in MOV format it looks great.

The first clip look good, so does the second one ( you can see some minor ghosting), and the third one did look great ( need to look for some better converting software)

Now I get to do some testing before I plunk down the money for a Black Widow system.

Well I hope this helps someone

Brent
afineman is offline Find More Posts by afineman
Last edited by afineman; Jul 10, 2005 at 06:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2005, 07:13 PM
Miami
Joined Dec 2001
1,641 Posts
So, Why do you need a new system That ones seems to work great!

You seem to get no interference, are you using the stock antennas?

Thanks,
Vova
reznikvova is offline Find More Posts by reznikvova
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 10, 2005, 09:39 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
Cool, that's an idea similar to one I had. I also have one of the $50 1.2GHz setups. (from Computer Geeks) I had thought about buying a nicer CCD camera and using this little transmitter as a temporary fix until I could get a nicer transmitter and receiver. I never did buy a CCD camera though... lol

Now that I'm using two digital cams with TV out, I just might add an RCA connector to the board and use it.

Glad to know it works!
Keith
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Jul 11, 2005, 01:56 PM
avf
Joined Oct 2004
481 Posts
gr8 if this works then why spend money anyway i need this just to frame my shots
avf
avf is offline Find More Posts by avf
Old Jul 11, 2005, 06:33 PM
I'm a leaf on the wind...
Harrisonville, MO
Joined May 2005
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by afineman
Third clip is the movie as captured by the SD card ( this should look the best), this clip looks like crap, I had to convert it from MOV to WMV then compress it, in MOV format it looks great.
So, if the MOV looked better, why convert it to WMV???
riffrafff is offline Find More Posts by riffrafff
Old Jul 11, 2005, 11:52 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
'Cause the "mov" compression is far inferior to WMV compression, which means that you get a much larger filesize!
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Jul 12, 2005, 12:56 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
If all you are using the Tx for is a downlink I don't see spending the extra bucks on a high dollar system. The only time I'd go with a high dollar video tx is if I was using it as a means to transmit to a recording device. Otherwise, the Nikon is an exceptional video recorder as well as a damned fine digital camera. Let it do the recording and just use the cheapie ebay unit as a means to frame your shots. That tx you have is more than adequate to do most AP.
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 12, 2005, 06:07 PM
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Nov 2003
487 Posts
Randall, that is almost exactly what I did. I used a cheap ebay system connected to my nikon 3700. Use the downlink to fram shots or when to start and stop video. That's it. I can watch as my camera is recording or record on the ground what the camera is seeing. Which ever, it works fine. Of course the pics and videos on the camera are much better than the tranmitted stuff due to limitations of the system.

Rick.
azfrench is offline Find More Posts by azfrench