HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2005, 03:37 PM
Going Home
Mighty Midwest
Joined Apr 2004
760 Posts
Found some 10 year old 15% Nitro fuel. What should I do with it?

Went digging through the closet and found some 10 year old 15% Nitro fuel. What should I do with it?
Starguard is offline Find More Posts by Starguard
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2005, 03:39 PM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
Still sealed??? Give it a try.

Read this

VP
Viper Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
Last edited by Viper Pilot; Jul 10, 2005 at 03:46 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 05:37 PM
gwh
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Dec 1996
1,607 Posts
As long as it has been sealed it should be ok. I've used some 5+ year old fuel with no problems. The $7.95 price on the bottle really got the LHS owners attention.
gwh is offline Find More Posts by gwh
Old Jul 10, 2005, 07:02 PM
Going Home
Mighty Midwest
Joined Apr 2004
760 Posts
Its been opened. The gallon sized bottle is only 3/4ths full. The price tag is still on it, but its faded so bad that it can't be read.
Starguard is offline Find More Posts by Starguard
Old Jul 10, 2005, 07:22 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
Use it at the field in the winter time to get the fire in the barrel going..
I'd bought some 50% nitro some time ago to use in a .061 motor.. never got around to running the motor, but did watch the fuel bottle get skinnier and skinnier as the nitro evaporated thru the plastic over the years.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Jul 10, 2005, 08:59 PM
Professional Crasher
Joined Apr 2004
1,035 Posts
I say give it a try and have some new fuel around. If your old fuel is good, use it up! ...though you may notice better performance off the new fuel once you start getting into it.
lectraplayer is offline Find More Posts by lectraplayer
Old Jul 11, 2005, 05:57 PM
Joined Jan 2005
60 Posts
put a match in it
NewbtoRC is offline Find More Posts by NewbtoRC
Old Jul 11, 2005, 08:57 PM
Professional Crasher
Joined Apr 2004
1,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbtoRC
put a match in it
If you're gonna do that, you might as well put it on a stump. Get some use out of it! Maybe it might be just what you need to get rid of that stubborn stump!

Otherwise, I suggest you see how it does in the engine. The lubricants in it shouldn't be too much concern, though the nitro may be (though nitro mostly only affects the acutal running, as it is the fuel, along with the alcohol). Only really burn the stump if the fuel's a wierd color or if it don't run worth a crap and new fuel runs great.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 11:17 AM
In Massive Debt
Northampton Massachussetts
Joined Jun 2005
2,001 Posts
Usually open fuel that is 10 years old wont perform very well. I would burn it also, but dont mention my name when the fire department asks what your doing.
blizzardwarrior7 is offline Find More Posts by blizzardwarrior7
Old Jul 12, 2005, 11:52 AM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,389 Posts
I'd mix a 8 oz. of the old fuel with 8 oz. fresh 15% nitro fuel and run it in one of my engines. If it works as good as 10% nitro fuel, I'll mix the rest of it with the same quantity of fresh fuel and use it. If not - you had some "good" suggestions.
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2005, 04:44 PM
Vintage Flyer
Treasure Island, FL
Joined Jan 2002
553 Posts
use it to break in that next engine during the "slobbering rich" stage.... that's what I did with a 15-20 year old jug of FAI fuel.... my Saito 180 broke in just fine....

FenceMagnet is offline Find More Posts by FenceMagnet
Old Jul 12, 2005, 09:00 PM
Professional Crasher
Joined Apr 2004
1,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenceMagnet
use it to break in that next engine during the "slobbering rich" stage.... that's what I did with a 15-20 year old jug of FAI fuel.... my Saito 180 broke in just fine....

That doesn't sound like a good idea to me as it may make break-in a pain, as you don't know how the fuel will even run. I suggest you do break-ins with fresh fuel, and then get it tweaked for performance with that fresh fuel. After you get it rockin', then give it some of the old fuel and see how it runs. If it runs good, burn it up!
Old Jul 13, 2005, 06:32 AM
Vintage Flyer
Treasure Island, FL
Joined Jan 2002
553 Posts
Break-in IS a pain !!!! Even bad, waterlogged fuel will run real rich at part throttle with the ignitor attached.... as long as the engine is getting plenty of lube (i.e. very rich) all it needs to do is spin a while in the beginning.... not for ABC/ABN though !!!

FenceMagnet is offline Find More Posts by FenceMagnet
Old Jul 13, 2005, 11:30 AM
Wheels up!!!
Pelham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2005
262 Posts
Sounds like a good ant killer to me.
Fordplay is offline Find More Posts by Fordplay
Old Jul 13, 2005, 11:48 AM
DS JUNKY
DA VALLEY, CA
Joined Jun 2004
1,445 Posts
I've never had success with fuel stored this long. From what I understand the fuel can pull moisture right through the plastic bottle at hte moleculor level. My guess is engine will run very badly and unreliabley if it starts at all. But give it a shot if you don't mind landing dead stick a few times till you figure out its the fuel.
Z06kal is offline Find More Posts by Z06kal