HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2005, 02:36 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,701 Posts
Does berg5 DSPII cut power on signal loss?

I can't find any info on this in the instruction sheet that came with this RX. I accidentally flew my plane too close (and beyond) the top of a hill yesterday. It obviously lost signal and got all squirrelly. I cut throttle on the TX immediately since it disappeared behind the hill and I assumed was going down. 20 sec. later I was at the top of the hill looking for my plane but no where in sight. It's natural wetlands, with lots of tall grasses, reeds, weeds, etc. It could be nestled in there somewhere, but I need to know if the RX cuts power to the motor on signal loss or not... it will help limit my search radius by about 1/2 mile!
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2005, 03:08 PM
Always right
Chicago
Joined Feb 2003
5,924 Posts
It should go to "idle" or no signal to servos/esc, so if your esc cuts power when signal is lost then it stopped the motor.
Hovertime is offline Find More Posts by Hovertime
Old Jul 10, 2005, 03:22 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,756 Posts
As far as I know it does not go to idle. You need PCM fail safe for that.
What it does do is stop sending junk signals to the esc and servos.
While a good esc will ignore junk signals and shut down, almost all of them should turn off with no signal.
Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Jul 10, 2005, 03:32 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,939 Posts
It's not the receiver's job to cut power - that's an ESC function.

The Berg 5s will hold the last good signal for a short time, then the ESC should do whatever it does when it loses signal. ESCs vary from cutting almost immediately to holding the last good command for about 1.5 seconds first. A few go longer. What ESC?
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Jul 10, 2005, 03:41 PM
Always right
Chicago
Joined Feb 2003
5,924 Posts
Pat - no motor will not go to idle, all servo signals become idle ie no signal, or standby . Basically servos/esc see clean "radio silence" .

Then it depends on the esc if it cuts power when signal is lost or not.
Sorry for confusing terms.
Hovertime is offline Find More Posts by Hovertime
Old Jul 10, 2005, 04:38 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
It's not the receiver's job to cut power - that's an ESC function.

The Berg 5s will hold the last good signal for a short time, then the ESC should do whatever it does when it loses signal. ESCs vary from cutting almost immediately to holding the last good command for about 1.5 seconds first. A few go longer. What ESC?
It's a PHX25. I knew the last good signal was held, but wasn't sure if this was true for the throttle channel, too.

I have the docs for the ESC around here somewhere, but didn't think of looking there.

Looked all over hell's half acre this morning... the plane and about $300 worth of power and control gear is gone. There's something about wading around in a swamp with reeds and cattails over your head and water over your boots that says "Kiss it goodbye, it's not worth the trouble of finding it!"
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 10, 2005 at 09:21 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 05:12 PM
Dimension Engineering
Akron, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
1,705 Posts
Maybe get a high resolution camera and do some aerial recon?
Comatose is offline Find More Posts by Comatose
Old Jul 10, 2005, 05:32 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comatose
Maybe get a high resolution camera and do some aerial recon?
I thought of that too!... if I had a small camera I'd try it in another plane! Luckily this plane did not have my ServoSense in it, although I had planned to put it in since I had 4 servos on board.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 06:07 PM
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,404 Posts
Another good reason to install a lost plane locator. Recently had a students plane go down. We knew where it went down but couldn't find it for over a week due to the massive growth of blackberry vines and nettles.
GBR2 is offline Find More Posts by GBR2
Old Jul 12, 2005, 01:35 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
It's a PHX25. I knew the last good signal was held, but wasn't sure if this was true for the throttle channel, too.

I have the docs for the ESC around here somewhere, but didn't think of looking there.

Loosing a plane is no fun - been there a couple of times. Perhaps an AP sortie, as suggested by others, will work.

The Rx has no idea what channel does what - it just decodes the frames in order and then sends the signal (if good) out to the outputs. Throttle is on channel 1 on JR, 3 on Futaba and Hitec, 4 on Multiplex.........
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Jul 12, 2005, 02:29 PM
Olathe,KS,USA
Joined Oct 2000
2,654 Posts
The DSPII will cut signal if it loses signal from the TX after about a 1/2 "hold". However, it depends on what kind of ESC you were using as to what the behavior would be on signal loss.
Castle Creations controllers will shut down after about 1 second of signal loss, so you would have at most 1.5 seconds or so of motor run after signal loss.

Patrick
Patrick del Castillo is offline Find More Posts by Patrick del Castillo