Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 24, 2002, 02:05 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Herr 1/2a Cub! Gotta love laser cut!

OK, I'm totally sold on laser cut kits. Here is a picture of my 48" Herr cub after about 1 hour of work on it. My fingers are coated in thin CA to prove it! I did this as per the recommendation by Doug at Mountain models on how to build the switchback: hold things in place and use a drop of thin CA. Voila! Instant airplane. Also, this thing, to this point, is built like a brick outhouse. I can see no reason not to cut a few lightening holes in the aft fuselage. Does anyone know better? I mean, I've seen .40 sized slimers that weren't this strong aft of the cockpit! Besides, this thing will never ever see inverted or departed flight. I plan to fly her totally scale and fly the Switchback when I feel like ripping up the sky.
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2002, 12:35 PM
ny
Joined Dec 2000
1,270 Posts
The Herr kits are good but Doug at Mountain Models takes it to a Second level. I have seen laser cutting but his has to be the best I have seen. Now you want to see junk try a Spirit of Yesteryear kit. I just had to put it away after two days of recutting and buying more Balsa most of there's is junk. But I should have made new fusalage sides one side was so hard I couldn't get to bend so NOW I have a warped fusalage. I had to recut every rib on the wing they didn't even cut theTrailing edge slots. After the wing was done and putting the two hafes together found I had two different size leading edges. I almost put my fist thru it so I put it away moving soon don't think will make the move. I don't get mad I get even
russ6421 is offline Find More Posts by russ6421
Old Apr 24, 2002, 02:26 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
I totally agree about Doug. My Switchback took about 3 hours total to get framed up and ready for final sanding, painting and covering
Old Apr 24, 2002, 02:41 PM
Big Member
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2001
138 Posts
LOL!

Back in my day we had to mill our own balsa from trees in the back yard! And we stuck the pieces together with chewing gum! This "laser-cut" and CA nonsense isn't really building! You kids don't know the meaning of building!

Capslock <-- j/k. I usually buy ARFs!
Capslock is offline Find More Posts by Capslock
Old Apr 24, 2002, 02:43 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
in your back yard? Pshaw! We had to walk uphill in the snow to get a piece of spruce to make airplanes from! Held together with spit
Old Apr 24, 2002, 02:59 PM
ny
Joined Dec 2000
1,270 Posts
Caplock

KIDS! I have been building models since I was eight years old now 63 there where A few years in there that I didn't build but not to many I even built when in the service except when at sea to messy.Would I go back to the good old days not on your life to sit and cut out all those nasty little ribs and formers that you just know will break, to glue that never dryed except the Extra Fast. Do I love laser cutting you bet I do, love CA OH YEA! So just call me spoiled
russ6421 is offline Find More Posts by russ6421
Last edited by russ6421; Apr 24, 2002 at 03:04 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2002, 03:19 PM
Bonney Lake, WA
Joined Jan 2002
788 Posts
Laser-cut is incredible. I built a Bruce Tharpe Venture .60; the pieces were a work of art. I wonder why Herr had the entire aft fuse sheeted, since all that strength isn't really needed back there. It's just making the aircraft more tail-heavy, and you lose the look of the stretched fabric. I love the looks of my Great Planes Cub because it emulates the fabric covering very well.
flyfalcons is offline Find More Posts by flyfalcons
Old Apr 24, 2002, 04:53 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
flyfalcons, I agree... I'll definately be cutting lightening holes in it. I've made that decision. I'm even considering making a second fuselage without any of the light ply, and using balsa instead. It should cut the weight in half
Old Apr 29, 2002, 03:09 PM
Name it, I've crashed it
JAX, FL
Joined Feb 2002
1,556 Posts
Herr 1/2 A conversion

Dreamer, Very timely thread on the conversion of a Cub in that I've been looking at the options for a kit to build. I have to agree that there is not much more you could ask for in a kit than what is being delivered by Herr except for one thing.

I wish it had ailerons...

You mentioned that you were considering adding them to your kit. Please elaborate on your approach?

Thanks,

rclist (Bill Germanson)
Bill Germanson is offline Find More Posts by Bill Germanson
Old Apr 29, 2002, 05:14 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
For the ailerons, I'll simply be cutting the back however much off of the ribs in the scale locations, and adding a 1/8 by 1/4 strip along the back of the remaining ribs as a base for the hinges and to stiffen the trailing edge. The aft remaining parts of the ribs and attached trailing edge piece will get the same 1/8 by 1/4 size strip along it's "leading" edge, such that the two 1/8 by 1/4 strips will be back to back. Bevel the forward edge of the aileron side to however much control throw you want and sand to the same height as the ribs. Hinge with packing tape.

The torque rods for the ailerons will be simply 1/16" rob with 2 L-bends in it, and pieces of clear plastic pushrod material over the middle to allow you to glue it in place.

On the other side of things with this cub, I have already started cutting pieces for a second fuselage out of 3/32" balsa in place of the 3/32" ply and 1/16" balsa in place of the 3/32" balsa. I will be making 2 wings as well and 2 sets of tail feathers, so in effect, I will have 2 cubs when all is said and done. The first will be built stock minus a few lightening holes in the fuselage, tail feathers, and wing ribs, and will have ailerons controlled by torque rods. The second will be built with lighter material and will have scale location pull-pull cables, as well as being modified to look more scale than the stock setup, in terms of fuselage planform and control surfaces. I'm hoping the second, with it's lighter airframe, will be even more of a floater than the original. Should I shoot for Tiger Moth speeds?
Old May 09, 2002, 08:59 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Just so any of you following this thread don't think I shoved it in a box and forgot about it... here's fuselage #2 up to this point, most of this construction done in about an hour last night.
Old May 09, 2002, 09:18 PM
Name it, I've crashed it
JAX, FL
Joined Feb 2002
1,556 Posts
Kit 2 is looking good, especially after just 1 hr working on it...

Have you gotten to start on the wing for Kit 1 and the ailerons? If you can, take some build sequence pictures for posting.

Thanks for the new picture.

- Bill
Old May 09, 2002, 09:23 PM
The One....
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
5,813 Posts
Dreamer,

I don't know If you seen the pic, that I sent you, now that I found your thread on the Cub. Have you covered it yet? White and Blue, right? Well I found a pic. on the net, that has a similar concept of colors as you, but without the blue. Man, your Cub is gonna look nice.
genovia is offline Find More Posts by genovia
Old May 09, 2002, 11:39 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
rclist, no I haven't started the wing or the second wing yet... I need to buy more wood so that I can recut some ribs for wing #2. When I start on them, I will post pictures galore. I'm a picture freak.

Btw, the 1 hour of work is after cutting out the pieces based on the original pieces

genovia, thanks for the pic! That's a sharp looking cub. I did see it earlier but didn't comment. Keep watching for cub updates
Old May 10, 2002, 11:33 AM
Name it, I've crashed it
JAX, FL
Joined Feb 2002
1,556 Posts
Genovia,

I guess that is not your plane but thanks for the picture. Making me think twice about using the classic yellow for mine.
Last edited by Bill Germanson; May 10, 2002 at 11:35 AM.