HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 29, 2006, 10:24 PM
Columbus, Indiana
Joined Nov 2004
325 Posts
The first three we built at work were rolled up sheet and welded. The guy who did the welding has been doing it for about 35 years, so he knows what's up. On mine I got lucky, we figured what size to make the canister and I was gearing up to roll one when I found one at Linens and Things store. It was originally a stainless toothbrush holder. It just happened that it was only about .010" difference in diameter than what we had originally figured. With a little modification like locating the NGV, drilling for the NGV and cutting to length it was done. Of course I had to locate the pressure tap holes, the glow plug hole, and the fuel tap. You might check Wally world or Target for small stainless canisters. You never know where one will turn up. Of course you can always use an old propane canister. That's what Schreckling uses in his books. They don't look that good, but many have used them. If you're feeling really spunky you could spin one from some sheet...
Later...
Martin
mcjustis is offline Find More Posts by mcjustis
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2006, 01:55 PM
Love is like Pi: Irrational
USA, ND, Grand Forks
Joined Jan 2005
2,159 Posts
I'm off to linens and things then LOL.
Martin are you talking about one of those coleman propane canisters?
Like the ones for camping stoves, or welding propane canisters (long and skinny as apposed to short and fat)
ronmeister is offline Find More Posts by ronmeister
Old Mar 31, 2006, 08:02 PM
Columbus, Indiana
Joined Nov 2004
325 Posts
The small propane canisters used for camping, short and fat. Although you would probably have better luck checking the dept. stores for a spun stainless one. I have gotten some crazy looks from people as I check canisters with my calipers in the middle of Wally-mart.
Later...
Martin
Old Jul 20, 2006, 11:39 PM
Columbus, Indiana
Joined Nov 2004
325 Posts
Old Jul 21, 2006, 12:53 AM
Love is like Pi: Irrational
USA, ND, Grand Forks
Joined Jan 2005
2,159 Posts
I see your "..." and I raise you this:
Martin, hows the engine?
Any new progress?
Videos?
Things have been slow here, very slow.
I haven't touched my engine since the last time we communicated via PMs.
ronmeister is offline Find More Posts by ronmeister
Old Jul 24, 2006, 04:39 PM
Joined Jan 2005
88 Posts
Does anyone know where to get turbine plans?

I have some CNC equipment that I built and now I want to try building a gas turbine with it.
Thanks
PS I will be congerting to 3D cad models if that is of any help.
dserratt is offline Find More Posts by dserratt
Old Jul 30, 2006, 12:37 AM
Columbus, Indiana
Joined Nov 2004
325 Posts
Dserratt,

Check Thomas Kamps book on building your own jet engine...maybe..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/095...e=UTF8&s=books

This book is very similar to what I did. I think the price is too high though here...I'd check Traplett publications first. Kurt Schreckling has a few good books, but I wouldn't make the FD3/64 turbine. You could do a whole lot better...

Ronmeister,

I run mine once in a while, now I'm just waiting to get some ideas for designing the plane it will go in. Someday.....
Later...
Martin
Old Jul 30, 2006, 08:56 AM
jimi hendrix
Joined Apr 2006
1,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjustis
Here are some more, guess the pic post worked...
Martin

THAT IS UBERLEAVABLY COOL!!

how long did that take u to make?
spitfire123 is offline Find More Posts by spitfire123
Old Jul 30, 2006, 11:10 PM
Columbus, Indiana
Joined Nov 2004
325 Posts
Spitfire,

The small one took about a month of hour or two here and theres. If I wanted to make another one now I'd say probably about 25-30 hours. They're not that hard. I'm having more trouble with a small four stroke than I ever had with this thing.
The big one has about 20 hours in it so far. It's (I know it doesn't look like it in the pics) actually almost done. I need to do the rear end NGV and then my buddy will do the welding and sheet metal work there. I just need to s#!t or get off the pot. Just been lazy. Hope to get back on it soon.
Later...
MArtin
Old Aug 17, 2006, 05:16 AM
Joined Jun 2006
18 Posts
mcjustis,
just found your posts
very imressive.... surprised more people have not responed.
ive built two turbocharger based jet motors and about fifty different buner tubes for them(no joke)
latlely been working on the micro version/s.... and i gotta say its driving my fekin nuts!
got the two versions of the bible(kamps/schreckling) tryid the schreckling version first,
god that combustion chamber is a nightmare in practice to get it working properly.
but at the mo im making mw54 style burner instead and really hoping it works better than the last attempt.
about your pics... i noticed that in one of your photos your using a auto(car) style turbine wheel(radial) rather than axiel??? any luck making it work???
ive got a few of these and would really like to find a way to utilise them....
ive been down the same path as you as far as machining a turbine wheel from scratch,
so i know what your saying....(made mine from the top of a oil filter, works ok)
look forward to your reply Adam
jet fellar is offline Find More Posts by jet fellar
Old Aug 20, 2006, 10:45 PM
Columbus, Indiana
Joined Nov 2004
325 Posts
Adam,

The big turbine you see in the pics is not really a car turbo, it's off of a very large Cummins Diesel. It's a holset turbo. I live in the town where Cummins calls home, so they take their scrap to the local scrap yard. I was there one day and asked if they had some large turbos, the guy took me to a shed full of them. I did have to fork over $7.70 for the entire turbo. Then the geniuses bought the aluminum back from me for about $6.00. I thought it was a good deal...Anyway, if you check the Gas turbine builders association website they have plans for sale that use a radial turbine wheel. I don't know how well they run though. The big one I'm working on just needs the rear end NGV done and we'll be making some noise. I hate to say it, but it's been about a year since I've touched the thing. I've got so many hobbies going on it's hard to find time to work on it.
You're right about the Schreckling comb. chanber, what a nightmare. I really like the vaporizor tube. Now that's a piece of work. I wonder how many people have started out trying to make that engine only to quit out of frustration. Schreckling does have another good book about turbo props that has a nice set of plans in it. The comb. chamber looks pretty good too.
So how far are you on your small turbine project? I'd love to see some pics if you've got them. Or a movie of the two you've got done.
Just out of curiosity did you get any useable thrust from the homemade turbine wheel? I know the ones we first made were stainless and they blew apart about 65,000 rpm. Just when you get it going good...boom...hisss...
Well, I hope this helped...
Later...
Martin
Old Aug 23, 2006, 10:08 PM
Joined Jun 2006
18 Posts
Quote:
Adam,

The big turbine you see in the pics is not really a car turbo, it's off of a very large Cummins Diesel. It's a holset turbo. I live in the town where Cummins calls home, so they take their scrap to the local scrap yard. I was there one day and asked if they had some large turbos, the guy took me to a shed full of them. I did have to fork over $7.70 for the entire turbo. Then the geniuses bought the aluminum back from me for about $6.00. I thought it was a good deal...Anyway, if you check the Gas turbine builders association website they have plans for sale that use a radial turbine wheel. I don't know how well they run though. The big one I'm working on just needs the rear end NGV done and we'll be making some noise. I hate to say it, but it's been about a year since I've touched the thing. I've got so many hobbies going on it's hard to find time to work on it.
You're right about the Schreckling comb. chanber, what a nightmare. I really like the vaporizor tube. Now that's a piece of work. I wonder how many people have started out trying to make that engine only to quit out of frustration. Schreckling does have another good book about turbo props that has a nice set of plans in it. The comb. chamber looks pretty good too.
So how far are you on your small turbine project? I'd love to see some pics if you've got them. Or a movie of the two you've got done.
Just out of curiosity did you get any useable thrust from the homemade turbine wheel? I know the ones we first made were stainless and they blew apart about 65,000 rpm. Just when you get it going good...boom...hisss...
Well, I hope this helped...
Later...
Martin
mc justis(martin) how goes?
okay then.... here goes.... $7.70 for a turbo off of a truck!! sounds like a good deal to me!(i paid $150 for a turbo off of a subaru wrx secondhand!) r.e the gtba, they have had issues for a while as far as joining up goes. so when its working ill be sure to find the radial turbine plans... cheers for that.
looking forward to seeing your big version when its done.

as far as my micro goes, ive made the outer case and nvg (its not your run of the mill either) built 2 different comb chambers that fit this case, comp wheel, still havent decided on choice of shaft yet, built my own version of the front diffuser(jury still out on that one!)
got lots of video in operation(the auto turbojet) but my laptop dosent support it. but as youd said youd like to have a look, ill find a way to get it on here so you can see it for yourself. they have some issues though, some times it wont run on its own i.e. everytime you remove the blower it shuts down! AAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!
as far as useable thrust goes.... not alot, and thats a little disapointing(i had planned on fitting it to my downhill bike) but it did spool up ok and brought all the neigbours to my driveway one afternoon asking where the plane landed!!! so at least it sounds right. ill try to make another i think one more time before trying a cast wheel made of inconel or similar.
but the one i really want to get under way... ive got a burner from a venom or similar jet motor. was thinking about a turbine wheel from a tourque converter from an automatic gearbox and also use the impeller from the same as the front diffuser... not to sure about comp wheel for this one, theres major heat in a working gearbox so i think the turbine wheel will be up for it.(how else do you get your hands on a wheel thats is 300-500mm dia?) cheers till next Adam
Old Aug 25, 2006, 08:37 AM
Columbus, Indiana
Joined Nov 2004
325 Posts
Adam,
You made your own compressor wheel? If so, I'd like to see a pic of that. I just used the compressor from a car turbo. As far as the turbine wheel, I made a disc of inconel 718 slotted it and bent the fins with a tool I made. I made my shaft from stress proof steel, some call it fatigue proof. Turns easily and looks good. If you have access to a rotary table and a mill you shouldn't have any trouble with the front end diffuser or the rear end NGV. I'd love to see the BIG one you're talking about. That sounds interesting.
Later...

Martin
Old Aug 27, 2006, 11:14 PM
Joined Jun 2006
18 Posts
Quote:
Adam,
You made your own compressor wheel? If so, I'd like to see a pic of that. I just used the compressor from a car turbo. As far as the turbine wheel, I made a disc of inconel 718 slotted it and bent the fins with a tool I made. I made my shaft from stress proof steel, some call it fatigue proof. Turns easily and looks good. If you have access to a rotary table and a mill you shouldn't have any trouble with the front end diffuser or the rear end NGV. I'd love to see the BIG one you're talking about. That sounds interesting.
Later...

Martin
gday martin,
Err, perhaps i should have been a little clearer. my comp wheel is from a nissan rb25 turbo, so what im saying is ive got most of the parts, just need some more time and money to make it all happen. and im breaking arms at the mo to get someone to lend me their digi camera so i can show you where its all at.
the big one i refer to is a professionally built and designed comb chamber from a full size jet fighter(yes i will include it in the pics when i get the camera) i think the issues will be a shaft at least 1500-1600mm (shaft flex might be a real problem at this length) a compwheel large enough to supply needed amount of air flow. will have a turbine wheel(as mentioned in my last) fuel supply is going to take some thought to. have you ever spoken with "Marty C" on here?(rc groups) he has various jet motors and is quite knowledgable in all areas of micro turbines, relevence being that hes got stuff just like yours. so when it startsto happen ill pick your brain for possible methods of making "the big one work" pic will be on here as soon as possible. cheers till next Adam
Old Aug 28, 2006, 07:12 AM
Columbus, Indiana
Joined Nov 2004
325 Posts
Adam,
I've seen people address the issue of shaft oscillation by using a two piece shaft with a carrier bearing in the center. Where did you get a full scale jet engine from? That I've got to see...Probably a little more than you put on a go-cart.
I've seen much of Marty C's posts, but I don't think I've actually talked with him.
I sure know what you mean about the $$ and time. I don't have either. My wife and kids have plenty, but you know how that goes. Anyone with cash can have a turbine, it takes a real craftsman to make one of his own that works.
Later...
Martin