Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 10, 2005, 10:02 AM
Columbus, Indiana
Joined Nov 2004
323 Posts
building your own turbine part II

I have built my own turbine from scratch. It is not a turbo charger takeoff, or a reverse engineering of an existing production model, it was designed by myself and a friend . THe only part I didn't make myself was the compressor and the bearings. Everything else was machined by me on manual (not cnc) equipment. Yes even the turbine wheel was made by me. If you would like to see some pics, I would be happy to disassemble the engine and show some pics. I have seen a (very) few pictures of turbines people say the have built, but these are just pics of the outside, they could be from anywhere. I would like to continue to discuss building turbines without the bickering back and forth. Use this group for what it was intended. I feel I have some good information to share and I'm sure there are lots of people who have info to share with me. I will try to post some pics of mine if anyone is interested. I would also love to see pics of other homemade turbines. I think there is a lot to learn out there and the only way to learn is to share info. Off my soapbox now, thanks.
Martin
mcjustis is offline Find More Posts by mcjustis
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2005, 09:08 AM
Edmonton
Joined Dec 2004
36 Posts
That is quite an accomplishment. You must love machining - there is tons of intricate work to be done. I know several people who have built KJ-66's and have seen the machined and fabricated parts before they are assembled. Is your design similar to the kj66 layout, or have you broken some new ground??

Have you run it yet???
Nony is offline Find More Posts by Nony
Old Jul 11, 2005, 09:29 AM
Joined Apr 2005
18 Posts
Congratulations. I think amazing what you did. I'm impressed.

I was trying to built my own turbine because it is to expensive to by one in Brazil, but I didn't have any idea how to start.
I tried to find a turbine plan to get more details but I didn't find anything.

Do you have a plan of your turbine? Could you please send me pictures of your work?
I appreciate any help.

ps: Sorry for my poor English, my mother language is Portuguese.
cboliveira is offline Find More Posts by cboliveira
Old Jul 11, 2005, 11:39 AM
Columbus, Indiana
Joined Nov 2004
323 Posts
Nony,
yes it is similar to the kj 66, but I only had a 60 mm compressor, so it is just a little smaller. My friend and I figured the ratios of things and designed basically around that. We started with the one piece we had which was the compressor and went from there. If you check out Shreckling's and Kamps' books you should be able to do the math and make what you need. Yes, I do love machining, that is what I do for a living and also for a hobby at home. There is a lot of work, but it's really not that bad. If you get a good match on the radii of the compressor and front end you will get decent efficiency. I finished mine about three years ago and run it once in a while. I have two small children which eat up alot of my time and money so I am waiting for some money to buy a plane, or a decent plan to make one from. When I finished the turbine I checked the thrust and was getting right at 11 pounds. I know that's not quite what the production 66mm turbines are running (ok not even close) but I don't think that's too bad for a first try at it. I am a little leary of pushing it too much as if doesn't have a cast wheel on it. I have blown up a wheel before and while not too big a deal, they are not fun to make or remake. I will put up some pics hopefully tonight if I can.
CB check for books by Kurt Shreckling and Thomas Kamps they will give you pretty much all the info you need. I wouldn't make the first Shreckling model as it has a plywood compressor. If you have the machinery they really aren't that bad. I'll post some pics...
Later

Martin
Old Jul 11, 2005, 11:32 PM
Columbus, Indiana
Joined Nov 2004
323 Posts
Sorry for the poor quality, may try another camera setting later. If you really need to see a better pic just let me know.
Martin
Old Jul 12, 2005, 07:17 PM
Columbus, Indiana
Joined Nov 2004
323 Posts
Anybody else out there have a turbine they want to show?? Love to see it...
Martin
Old Jul 17, 2005, 11:34 PM
Columbus, Indiana
Joined Nov 2004
323 Posts
BIG turbine

Since no one else is posting in this thread, thought I'd put up some more pics of another turbine project I'm working on. This one isn't quite done yet, so all I have are pics of the front end. I have the front housing, diffuser, shaft, canister, and bearing tube done. I can't take credit for the canister, a buddy rolled and welded that. He's a welding god. I did however machine all the rest of the pieces, except for the turbine wheel. Once again on the same manual lathe and manual mill that I did the other turbine on. I'm gonna try to start the rear end NGV this week and can post some pics of that if you'd like. The compressor and turbine are out of a large Cummins turbo. Well, actually Holset makes the turbos for Cummins, but anyway...I did have to shorten the shaft up a bit and rethread the end, for use with ball bearings instead of the oil bushings the turbos use. This engine will never see flight (hopefully...) but will live it's life on the back end of a go cart or bike. I'm hoping for a hundred or so pounds of thrust. We'll see... Anyway, just thought someone might be interested...

Later,
Martin
Old Jul 18, 2005, 07:22 AM
Newhampshire USA
Joined Jun 2003
69 Posts
Cool stuff, nice work.
I'm going to post pic of my Wren MK 54 2/3. tomorrow. Trying to find a way to make a case for it.
timfly1 is offline Find More Posts by timfly1
Old Jul 18, 2005, 02:05 PM
Columbus, Indiana
Joined Nov 2004
323 Posts
finding a case

I happened to find the case for my small turbine at Bed bath and Beyond. I think it was a toothbrush holder. I just had to cut the end off to length and open the end for the NGV. then I made the front housing to fit it. Not too much work. I would check that place and maybe target and walmart, never know. I've been known to rummage through canisters at dept stores with my set of calipers looking for the right size. What size can are you looking for? I have some I was going to use for a smaller turbine and they might work. Later...
Martin
Old Jul 19, 2005, 10:27 AM
Newhampshire USA
Joined Jun 2003
69 Posts
MW54 2/3 turbine parts

Hi all
Well here a couple of photos of my MW 54. Trying to find a spun case for it, dont like the welded sheet.
Tim
Old Jul 19, 2005, 10:50 AM
Up and Dowwwwnn
Tampa, FL
Joined Jul 2004
411 Posts
Wow, that is great work mcjustis. I am really surprised that not a lot of ppl are taking intrest in this. If I had the techinal knowledge or tools, I would jump on this oppurniuty to talk to a person like you and kill you with my questions lol. I alwsy had a dream to make a really small turbine (not make but Buy, lol) and use it in a scale F-16 or F15. Is that possiblle? like to make one that gives you about 4-5 pounds of thrust and put it in a 4-5 pound scale frame? Just wondering.

Virat
Virat is offline Find More Posts by Virat
Old Jul 19, 2005, 11:27 AM
Newhampshire USA
Joined Jun 2003
69 Posts
small turbines

When I was a kid 15-16 years old there was a turbine advertized in some machanical magizine the U-22D. the kit 80% finished was I think $180.00, finished turbine was $240.00. This was 1968 I think. Cost was too far out there. But WOW a miniture turbine. And now there here, very very cool toys.
Tim.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 11:13 PM
Columbus, Indiana
Joined Nov 2004
323 Posts
Virat,

I'm getting about 11.5 pounds of thrust from my little turbine. I guess if you only wanted 4 or 5 lbs you could just set the high end throttle lower. You probably would have a tough time finding a plane capable of holding a turbine that is only a couple of lbs. The engine itself will weigh about two lbs, so that doesn't leave you with much airframe to work with. As for the size issue, they don't go much smaller than the wren 44. When you start getting smaller the combustion chamber gets smaller and the fuel will only burn so fast. Also smaller size means you must get the rpms up, WAY up to become efficient. When you do that, then you must start worrying about shaft ocillation which will kill the motor quickly. So in short, the larger the turbine, the easier it is to make. On the machining side of it clearances get smaller and tolerances get tighter on the smaller ones. Parts also get a little harder to find. If you don't want to make a certain part, you can find just about any part you need for the larger ones (56 mm) for sale somewhere.
Timfly, nice work, do you know what size case you need? I found a nice stainless spun canister at Walmart. I think it was actually a bacon grease holder, but it was going to be for a turbo prop project, but we couldn't find a suitable compressor anywhere. That was about two years ago, so maybe I'll start looking for one again. Anyway let me know what size you need and I'll keep my eyes open.
Later...
Martin