HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2005, 11:47 PM
Joined Dec 2004
27 Posts
Spoilerons or Flaperons

I have a super stick .40 that comes in a little fast on landings. What would be my best option for slowing the plane down. Flaperons or spoilerons.
Batten35 is offline Find More Posts by Batten35
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2005, 07:59 AM
Yerington,nevada
Joined Jun 2003
133 Posts
do you have room on your radio for another servo? as you might put a single
same size wide as your aileron in the center of the fuse,say on channel 6.mike
cornbinder is offline Find More Posts by cornbinder
Old Jul 10, 2005, 02:55 PM
Joined Dec 2004
27 Posts
I don't really want to get into anything like that. I just want to start experimenting with either spoilerons or flaperons.
Batten35 is offline Find More Posts by Batten35
Old Jul 10, 2005, 03:28 PM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
Good discussion on spoilerons/flaperons here
Viper Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
Old Jul 10, 2005, 10:50 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,416 Posts
I did it (experimenting with flaperons/spoilerons) with my GP Super Sportster 40 ARF - built it with 2 aileron servos. The Super Sportster tends to bounce on landing if proper sink/speed rate is not observed.

Spoilerons cause the plane to drop the nose in flight and bounce even more on landing. Spoilerons reduce lift so the plane has higher stall speed and as a result the landing speed increases - that and the pressure created between the wing and ground surface cause the plane to bounce.

Flaperons have the opposite effect on the plane - they make the plane tail to drop in flight, increasing the lift As a result the stall speed is reduced and the plane bounces left. Using flaperons is quite treacherous though as they cause the wing tips to stall before the root of the wing and the plane drops the stalled wing tip really fast.

Using separate flaps (close to the root of the wing) creates the desired effect (reducing the stall speed) without stalling the tips of the wing - even when most of the wing surface next to the root is stalled, the wing tips are still flying (creating lift) which makes the plane fly level.

As a result, my personal preference after the experiments is not to use spoilerons/flaperons.
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2005, 12:33 AM
Joined Sep 2004
71 Posts
Nice post, Ivanc! Very concise.
SpadZombie is offline Find More Posts by SpadZombie