HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 15, 2001, 09:17 PM
volt flyer
n/a Posts
IFO Mark3: Any last minute building tips ?

Just taped the 'IFO mark 3' plans on the bench, thought maybe you guy's might have some building tips.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2001, 08:07 AM
Camberley, Surrey, England
Joined May 2001
147 Posts
It's probably to late for any tips for us now, as mine is almost built after last nights battle with the sticks and glue with all the binding! How's yours coming on? What batteries are you going to use? Regards Paul.
Paul15 is offline Find More Posts by Paul15
Old May 18, 2001, 03:03 AM
United States, CA, Imperial
Joined Apr 2001
114 Posts
Paul, do the number of wraps that the instructions say and don't over do the hot stuff, one drop will do, voice of experience. Do a double light, REPEAT LIGHT, coating of 3M 77 for the covering, REPEAT LIGHT, a dusting at the most. I did both sides when I recovered and didn't need to apply Schotch tape to the edges. Get your wife, girlfriend, friend, dog, cat, ET(your son or daughter)to help you put on the mylar covering. It's a son of a gun to do, it wants to stick to everything. It's a pain. The covering wants to stick to everything inculding your fingers, hands, elbows and the Colorado Cool Aid. Make sure the masking tape that you put on to prevent the 3M 77 from adhering to can be easily taken off from the bottom, don't press it on to hard, just gently, you will have to take it off before you can put the covering on. Repeate, take the masking tape off before you put the covering on. Don't put it on too hard, just squeese the tape gently. remember, it has to come off. Make sure you can get it off from the bottom easily. As to flying, a slight reflex (up elevons), REPETE SLIGHT, otherwise it will climb at a high angle real fast, and don't exceed the recommended throws to start off with. You might even reduce the throws to start with. If you have expo. on your Tx, set it for -50% and high rates at -50% expo at recommended throws. Best of luck, bill.
billchas is offline Find More Posts by billchas
Old May 18, 2001, 09:59 AM
Terry Dunn
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Jan 2001
879 Posts
I would say use thick CA and have CA Accelerator handy. The thin CA will run down the CF rods and onto your fingers in an instant. The thick stuff stays where you put it and gives you some time to get things in the right place. Once you have things where you want them, a quick shot of the accelerator locks it in.
Good Luck,
Terry
mopar_man is offline Find More Posts by mopar_man
Old May 19, 2001, 08:52 AM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,509 Posts
..and don't let any CA get in the elevon hinges!

I know I'm not alone!

tim
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old May 21, 2001, 04:02 AM
Joined May 2001
147 Posts
Hi billchas, good words of advice, but guess what I did Sunday night, after a dew beers in decided to cover the IFO frame in Ripstop Nylon, after many attempts of trying to stitch it on I gave up, and reached for the thin Cyano bottle which promptly stuck all to my fingers and thumbs, but I got there in the end and was pleased with the result. Has anyone noticed that the frame has a slight warp in it due to the overlapping of the main rods? It seems you can't get around that, also the rudder is slightly offset to the right when you fix the guide post to the left hand side of the main fus boom, is this to counteract the torque of the motor? Regards, Paul.
Old May 21, 2001, 07:02 AM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul15:
.....after a dew beers.....

I can't type after a dew beers either!

tim

tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old May 21, 2001, 08:00 AM
Joined May 2001
147 Posts
Well-spotted Tim, I am always in a mucking fuddle. I can spell FEW see! I will spell check for typo's in the future!
Regards, Paul.
Old May 21, 2001, 08:08 PM
United States, CA, Imperial
Joined Apr 2001
114 Posts
Paul, with ripstop nylon I think your supposed to use some kind of double sided tape. I haven't found it in my little town, so when I recovered I just used 3M 77 again . I think your right about the rudder offset but I also put a little right thrust in when I recovered. Bill
billchas is offline Find More Posts by billchas
Old May 21, 2001, 09:23 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
The double-sided tape mentioned for use with the Ripstop Nylon is supposed to be available at the same kite stores that typically stock the lightest weight Ripstop. I haven't gotten around to visiting a local kite shop yet to take a look at it. But it seems pretty logical that the lightest slowflyers would benefit from sharing construction materials that have proved to work so well with kites -- lightweight carbon fiber tubes, Ripstop Nylon covering and double-sided tape.
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old May 21, 2001, 09:37 PM
Sandston Va USA
Joined Mar 2001
294 Posts
Paul15, I had the problem with the main rod overlap. My frame was completely out of shape. I had to take some nylon string and do a x across the frame to pull the frame into shape so it would match up with the plans.
busheadfox is offline Find More Posts by busheadfox
Old May 22, 2001, 03:57 AM
Joined May 2001
147 Posts
Hi busheadfox? strange name that one! What really got me is the oval rods supplied with the kit, I thought carbon rods were round rods, looks like who ever kited mine bought some crappy reject carbon rod. Regards, Paul.
Old Jun 21, 2001, 04:14 PM
Stockton NJ
Joined Dec 2000
43 Posts
About the covering: I'm not familiar with the IFO, but I just built a Stubenfliege that has similar construction. The way it's covering is applied is to paint on Balsaloc adhesive, which seems to be just hot-melt glue in liquid form. Once it's dry it's not even tacky, but it works beautifully when you iron on whatever covering you want. The seven micron mylar for the Stubenfliege has no adhesive, but it does shrink nicely. I was worried about the heat breaking the CF rods, but it didn't. I guess you just shouldn't overdo it.
Chuck Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Chuck Taylor
Old Jun 21, 2001, 04:33 PM
CharlieR
bay area, california
Joined Nov 2000
315 Posts
2 people make it easier when bending some of the large rods.

spy0o7 is offline Find More Posts by spy0o7