SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 08, 2005, 11:47 PM
Joined Feb 2005
17 Posts
Graupner Voith-Schneider units

Has anyone built the Graupner "Parat"? I have two of the Graupner units in a scratch built tug and need help in the coordinating of my JR six channel computer radio with the airplane receiver ( modified for ground frequency) which has airplane control jacks (rudder, aileron, etc.) and the Graupner diagram and how the radio sticks coordinate with the servos. I can manage (with difficulty) to control the boat, but it would be so much better if I could set it up like the Graupner diagram.
floatem6 is offline Find More Posts by floatem6
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2005, 01:50 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,479 Posts
We have a couple of threads you can look at.

Unfortunately Antoine's must have taken down his images.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166844

Perhaps we can get him to re-attach the images directly to the thread as opposed to linking them.

And the Fire boat thread

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77749

What you need to do with your sticks, is co-ordinate them for boat direction, and NOT for thrust. Matching the joysticks for thurst vectors is very counter intuitive. Pulling backward to make the boat go forward just isn't right.

So for example, Forward, push both sticks forward, back both sticks back. Left both sticks left,...etc.
if you want to crab the boat sideways and to the right, you would push the left stick back and to the right., and the right stick forward and to the right. Essentially, set up the drives to "thrust" opposite of the direction you push the joystick. That way you could watch the boat move and think less about the drives.

The drives will thrust at a 90 degee offset,
("counter to the direction of the drive rotation)
to the direction, that the control lever is moved ON the drive itself.
I Said this correctly, so think it through, I still have a hard time remebering this.
And this gets screwier...
The right drive should be rotating clockwise. The left drive should be rotating counter clockwise.
Set the servos between the drives to pull the control lever IN(toward the centerline) to make the boat go forward. And to push the control lever OUT(to either side) to go in reverse.

I hope that helps.

What several of us have ended up doing, is setting two sticks for forward, and backward controls, and then ganging the left and right (rudder) servos to one stick. See the images below.

Feel free to ask more questions, I know these drives can be confusing.
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Last edited by Umi_Ryuzuki; Jul 09, 2005 at 01:57 AM.
Old Jul 09, 2005, 09:23 AM
no wings any more, just dust!
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
not a pilot of a VS boat, just reading the thread on how to drive those boats is enough to confuse me! just how does the VS actually work cos it sounds very complicated!
Ghost 2501 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost 2501
Old Jul 09, 2005, 10:25 AM
victoria, bc
Joined Oct 2003
782 Posts
Thanks Umi! I've screwed mine up - I push left stick fwd, goes in reverse, right stick, goes fwd. Looks like I have to reverse the starboard forward servo or I've got those leads (port/strbrd) reversed going to the sticks. I've got the two rear servos ganged together on the right side for steering, I think! Somewhere back in the older posts I thought I found the setup info although might have come from Gary in Van and I mixed his info up.
mike_victoriaBC is offline Find More Posts by mike_victoriaBC
Old Jul 09, 2005, 10:56 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,479 Posts
Mike,

Just pull the servo arm off and put it back on 180 degrees, then it should move opposite of it's current setting
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Jul 09, 2005, 07:19 PM
victoria, bc
Joined Oct 2003
782 Posts
I've just done it! I had to remove the mounting plate again and resize the opening to shift the servo forward in order to keep the 90 degree angle as close as possible. Also discovered that two of the nuts holding the balljoints to the servo arm had vibrated off so now all have been fixed with some Loctite. A test is next.....
mike_victoriaBC is offline Find More Posts by mike_victoriaBC