SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 23, 2002, 06:30 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,458 Posts
A Moment Of Silence For Mr. C Hawk

I request a moment of silence for the sudden death of my good friend Mr. C Hawk who died suddenly today from a fall of about 200 feet. I met Mr. Hawk at the Hobby Club booth at the Pasadena AMA convention. We became good friends and I took him home with me. He has gone to our monthly glider contests and has had a great time competing. He was young and in apparent excellent health when after a high start launch today he suffered a rupture to his elevator clevis pin at the servo connection. After that he plunged to the ground at a 90 degree angle. The injury itself was minor and a repair might easily have been performed if Mr. Hawk hadn't fallen from 200 feet. The fall killed him as he suffered major breaks to every major part of his body. death was quick but noisy. Please share a moment of silence for Mr. Hawk as I/we mourn his passage. Contributions for his replacement fund can be sent to Mike Heer, the grieving companion. And now a moment of silence.....
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2002, 07:51 PM
KLH
Pack Rat
Hayward CA / Valley Springs CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,778 Posts
My deepest sympathy to you and yours!

(moment of silence)

Kern
KLH is offline Find More Posts by KLH
Old Apr 23, 2002, 07:54 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Booo...Hooooooo!! Blease excccept ourrr deeeppes sympothys.... snnnifff.....
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old Apr 23, 2002, 08:14 PM
Function Over Form
Connecticut
Joined Feb 2000
1,043 Posts
so what are you going to do with the body? Put it in a wood chipper, set it on fire, or blow it up?
BillH is offline Find More Posts by BillH
Old Apr 23, 2002, 10:10 PM
Almost a Pilot
NorCal
Joined Oct 2001
3,759 Posts
My deepest sympathy for your loss. At least he was doing what he loved most.
Mauilvr is offline Find More Posts by Mauilvr
Old Apr 23, 2002, 11:19 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,458 Posts
What to do with the remains.

There were some who thought Mr. Hawk could be sold as slightly used but I chose to follow his wishes of donating his body to science. The radio equipment was harvested and will be transplanted into another plane in need of such organs. The tow hook and ballast were also harvested for other members of my fleet that might someday need these organs. The rest of the corpse was donated to science for tolerance and stress tests or whatever else Dr. Frankstein does with his science class. No matter what is done with the corpse the essence of Mr. Composite Hawk, those smooth lines and curved graceful wings are gone forever. A friend offered to sell me a new Mr. Hawk in a different color and at a good price...but it is to soon to consider another, if ever. The good news is that he went as he would have wanted to, flying out in the country, not crashing through the roof of a car or home here in the city, making a pest of himself.
Thank you for your concern, go forth and fly, he would have liked that.

And to Bill Holland, the FBI monitors these sites and you may have some explaining to do.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Michael Heer; Apr 23, 2002 at 11:22 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2002, 11:51 PM
SSP#14 aspirant
Fort Lewis, Washington, United States
Joined Feb 2002
1,289 Posts
my condolences

I want my morbid curiosity satisified lets see some pictures of this horrendous accident. Close ups of the SHATTERED body! Is there a video of the incident?

Soar Dude...
Soar_dude is offline Find More Posts by Soar_dude
Old Apr 26, 2002, 07:38 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,458 Posts
No Video or police photos available

What was I thinking? There are no photos or video of the deceased. The fiberglass fuselage shattered so that the nose completely broke off about an inch back from the front. There were stress cracks around 80 % of the circumference of the fuselage just in front of the wing mount area and half way back in the tailboom. There were stress fractures just above the wing area on both sides. The top of the rudder was cracked and a small area shattered and there was a stress fold crack half way up but only on one side. The wings look fine for the first two feet from the root but then there are several stress folds and both tips were shattered. The flying stabs showed little sign of damage. No pictures of the deceased but here is a long shot zoomed in on in the computer in happier times.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Michael Heer; Apr 26, 2002 at 07:40 AM.
Old Apr 28, 2002, 05:11 AM
Torrance, CA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
139 Posts
Michael,

My deepest sympathies to you and yours.

If it is not to painfull, could you give me some info on how this ship performed. Does she have any bad habits? I have one that is just about ready to fly.

I have the CG set at the front of the wingrod. I replaced the pushrods with Don Brown FG arrow shafts as the ones supplied felt very brittle and a little weak. I am using JR DS3421 digital servos with metal clevis at both ends!

With a 800MAH battery pack she still required 3.5 ounces of lead in the nose to balance at the front edge of the wingrod.

I fly mainly slope at Harbor Soaring Society site in Costa Mesa.

Regards,

Steve
Steve Diebolt is offline Find More Posts by Steve Diebolt
Old Apr 28, 2002, 09:28 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,458 Posts
How she flew

Balance: I used a 1700 battery pack and two ounces of lead in the nose to balance the plane on the front half of the wing rod.
The majority of my flying was thermal and I found it it be a very nice handling plane despite all the negative comments I got from people who had flown or seen the Hoby Hawk years ago. I had no Dutch roll problems and if I kept speed up I had no wing stall problems. But if I cranked in too much up elevator to try and climb too fast I could stall and drop up to twenty feet before I recovered. But that was pilot error. I was thinking of adding a v of fiberglass at the end of the tail boom to give a little bit of a vane in front of the full turning rudder to help get a little more stability in thermal turns. I was very happy with the plane but without landing aids it wasn't a competition plane for thermal contests but it launched and flew very well.
I gave the remains to a friend and the Dr. Frankinstein in him has put it back together with bands of glass cloth around the fuselage and repairs to the wings. I will see it Monday for the first time since he repaired it. Good luck with yours. Mike
P.S. With your modifications you should have no problems with your control rods and clevises...are you sure they aren't Dave Brown carbon fiber rods?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Michael Heer; Apr 28, 2002 at 04:44 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2002, 04:02 PM
Santa Rosa, Northern CA, USA
Joined Oct 1999
2,472 Posts
Michael,

So very sad about your Hawk, hope you called "Landing", which is the proper thing to do in this situation.

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Diebolt
Michael,

If it is not to painfull, could you give me some info on how this ship performed. Does she have any bad habits? I have one that is just about ready to fly.

Regards,

Steve
Steve,

Hope this helps a little with your first flight. Make sure the wings are very true, with the same washout in each tip. Check this by laying them flat on a table LE to LE with the center sections held flat. Then rotate so they line up TE to TE. If they are not even for washout, use a heat gun (carefully) and get the same washout in each panel. (don't melt the foam)

Next, the Hobbie visually flys nose down. Fly it fairly fast at first and watch the airspeed. Many pilots will watch the angle of the fuse instead of the flight speed. If you let the fuse get level, you just stalled Try stalls "three mistakes high".

A real nice mod is to drill another hole in the fuse, just above the front wing pin. This is real easy and should be just high enough to slip another brass tube thru the fuse, pretty much touching the stock front tube. This will level out the fuse and make the visual flight of the fuse easier to judge. (PS: This new hole is hidden by the wing, so you can still fly stock. It will make the wing to fuse fit gap a bit, but if you like the mod, you can add a balsa filler to the wing.)

Let me know if you need a pic.

Happy Landings.
Dave
Daveairway is offline Find More Posts by Daveairway
Old Apr 28, 2002, 04:41 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,458 Posts
Bad Form on my part!

What was I thinking? As it came straight down from 200 feet I didn't even think about yelling: "Landing." I yelled: "Oh Shoot!" or something like that.
I have passed on the information about the failed clevis to the owner of Hobby Club. It might have been my previous zoom launches off a winch that did the damage to the clevis, but still...
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 28, 2002, 05:31 PM
Santa Rosa, Northern CA, USA
Joined Oct 1999
2,472 Posts
Landing

“Landing”, almost funny in a way. I picked this term up during the old winch wars that left “flaming arrows” as the wings folded during the zoom portion. It does show a little class (?), calling “Landing”, as there is often very little else to do.

BTW: It is not proper to call landing for others, should they be in this situtation.
Daveairway is offline Find More Posts by Daveairway
Old Apr 29, 2002, 12:08 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,458 Posts
F3B and my Sagitta memmories

Your comments on winch wars reminded me of the time a destroyed two Sagittas in less then two months. Shattered the wings on zoom launches. The Sagitta was the new hot plane at the time but the winch was even hotter. One exploded at the top of the winch and with dark clouds behind it it was beautiful in a beam of sunlight with tiny bits of monocoat in yellow and blue and little bits of balsa dust sparkling in the sunlight. That was a lot of work to build those as they had the wood fuselage and that was a lot of shaping. Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 29, 2002, 06:19 AM
Punta Gorda, FL
Joined Apr 2002
4,952 Posts
Confetti

"Crinkle, crinkle, little spar,
strained beyond the yield-point far.
Up above the world so high,
bits and pieces in the sky..."
-Darrol Stinton

Why settle for a spar that isn't strong enough to break the winch line?

Too heavy? No, the 2-meter Allegro Lite can do it at a flying weight of 18 ounces.

Too expensive? Nah, the carbon fiber and kevlar wrap are less than $20 for a 2-meter wing.

Too much trouble? Ah, now maybe we are getting warm.

Don't know how? Getting warmer.

Cheap ARF's? You are hot!

Out of date structural design? Bingo!
Ollie is offline Find More Posts by Ollie
Last edited by Ollie; Apr 29, 2002 at 06:35 AM.