HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2005, 12:08 PM
United States, CA, Nevada City
Joined Aug 2003
1,923 Posts
Yippee!
Pitts Special Park Flyer Vol V

Welcome to Part V of the Aero-Labs Pitts Speacial thread.

28" Wingspan, IPS/CDROM powered, lasercut short kit (contains wood only). $40.50 from www.parkscalemodels.com.

Part I : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308441
Part II : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331015
Part III : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348206
Part IV : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365693

Pitts Homepage : http://www.aero-labs.com/?page=pitts
Build Manual : http://www.parkscalemodels.com/downl...bly_Manual.pdf
Virtual Aerodrome page : http://www.virtualaerodrome.com/hang..._aircraft_id=6
Martin Hunter's build thread : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336806

-James.
jamesgood72 is offline Find More Posts by jamesgood72
Last edited by jamesgood72; Jul 08, 2005 at 01:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2005, 12:14 PM
WAA pilot #21
Princeton NJ
Joined Dec 2003
3,166 Posts
Im in!
Vanning is offline Find More Posts by Vanning
Old Jul 08, 2005, 12:33 PM
Southern California
Joined Feb 2003
1,352 Posts
Me too!

John, I did put in a little right- and downthrust, easy since I'm using a pedestal-mount motor. I haven't flown mine yet...it needs another 1-2 hours of detail work, and I leave today on a 5-day business trip ...so I can't say if it works or not.

Aileron linkage is a little tricky. I've got a bit of a bind and I can't get the ailerons to center. I may end up using little pieces of nylon guide tube to smooth out the linkage.

AUW is now about 12.8 oz., lacking only side & wheel pants trim, Pitts decals and starburst graphics on horiz. stab. A little porky, but that's with 3s Etec 1200 Lipos.

Will post photos and flight report soon!

--Doug
dk944s2 is offline Find More Posts by dk944s2
Old Jul 08, 2005, 12:46 PM
Let er Rip
Long Island, NY
Joined Oct 2003
3,111 Posts
Jamesgood,

Heya, should not that read welcome to part V

Jim
Pilot44 is offline Find More Posts by Pilot44
Old Jul 08, 2005, 01:24 PM
Joined Aug 2003
1,923 Posts
Thank you Jim, corrected now.

-James.
Old Jul 08, 2005, 02:53 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
*subscribed*
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Old Jul 08, 2005, 06:16 PM
For the Birds
California
Joined Jul 2004
400 Posts
Checking in
Stagger_Wing is offline Find More Posts by Stagger_Wing
Old Jul 08, 2005, 11:59 PM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,372 Posts
Dropping by...

I added some down and right thrust to mine. I only noticed needing it when at full power. But that could also be the wing wanting to climb so much.
Vintauri is online now Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 15, 2005, 06:55 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,634 Posts
I have definitely got to put some down thrust in mine to. The Lens 22.7 17T really pulls her skyward when full throttle.
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Jul 15, 2005, 10:12 PM
Kingsport Tn.
Joined Nov 2001
535 Posts
Putting in downthrust was the point where I stopped my build. I got it to the point shown below and then decided to add down and right thrust. I’m using the CD mount so I first I thought I could take care of it by lowering the hole in F2. Well, that made the shaft exit the cowling too much off center. So then I took the motor stick back out and lowered the holes in both F2 and F3, while adding some additional balsa for support.

Finally everything was perfect… had the correct amount of down and right thrust and shaft exited the cowl dead center. I CA’d everything back up and then decided to slip the motor mount on the stick one last time. Guess what?? CA wicked through the motor stick and PERMAMANTLY glued the mount to the stick.

Ever get mad at a plane? Boy was I hacked! That’s when I quit this one and started building different plane. Actually, I still love this plane and I’ll get back to it when I cool off.

John
Aspen is offline Find More Posts by Aspen
Old Jul 15, 2005, 11:45 PM
Southern California
Joined Feb 2003
1,352 Posts
Hi guys,

Success! She flies! I needed to put in several clicks of down elevator and right aileron to trim. This was my first bipe, and a small bipe on top of that, so I didn't know quite what to expect.

It likes anywhere from 3/4 to full throttle, as there's so much drag from the thickish wings that it gets slow and mushy in control response with anything less. Power is adequate from the PJS motor to do loops, which are tight and kinda elliptical. Aileron rolls are pretty snappy! Ailerons don't want to center vey well, though; as a result, I was always over-correcting and rocking the wings. If I had it to do over, I think I'd hinge the ailerons with stiffer tape (for less slop) and run a small aileron servo in each wing, like Martin did.

I need to fly it some more in the still morning air, because the breeze was no doubt making the ailerons feel even touchier. Here's a couple pics...I'd like to get some airborne ones, but I can never get my photographer friends to come out to the field.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 10:01 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Okay guys -- here's the current status of my Pitts build. The motor is not glued to the motor mount yet. The motor mount is not glued to the stick yet. The top and bottom wings are not glued to the fuselage. The rudder is not glued to the vertical stabilizer. Everything else you see is glued.

I'm pretty happy with the cowl -- I had to buy some 40 grit sandpaper to sand it down (then I followed up with some 220 grit sandpaper).

I've got some 30 pound, teflon coated "Spider Wire" (fishing line) which I'm going to wrap around the 9mm bullet shell I used to mount the motor, to attach the motor to the motor mount. I haven't decided if I'm going to use CA or Gorilla Glue though...

Oh -- I had to use a rotary reamer to get the 9mm bullet shell to fit in the supplied 8mm hole. The rotary reamer was about $2.50 at Lowe's, and attaches to any cordless drill. It worked like a charm.
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Last edited by Red 61; Jul 17, 2005 at 10:06 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 12:40 PM
Southern California
Joined Feb 2003
1,352 Posts
Looks good, Red 61! The cowl does take some work, but the "stacked rings" approach is much, much easier than trying to carve it out of a solid block. For mine, I carved as much as I could with an X-Acto, then 80 grit, then 220 grit.

It's worth taking some time on to do right, as it's one of the first things you notice.

--Doug
Old Jul 18, 2005, 12:54 PM
Joined Aug 2003
1,923 Posts
Red, your's looks like it's coming along really nicely, and Doug, the finished article looks amazing. I especially like the colours, and the arrows Doug!

-James.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 02:16 PM
Dayton, TN
Joined Jul 2003
81 Posts
Has anyone used a Torque 34T / Hacker A20-34 in the Pitts yet? If so, what modification is needed to make it work ? How about performance ?

Scott
eastbail is offline Find More Posts by eastbail