HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2005, 11:42 PM
Checking the wind
Aubry Township, Kansas South of KC.
Joined Jan 2002
1,403 Posts
Too many Parkies too many radios. Help me pick a new transmitter

I am going crazy with 8 or 9 flyable models and 3 transmitters. Most of my stuff is JR or GWS. I need to consolidate into one transmitter as much as I can. I'm ready for a computer radio if there is one that is easy to use. Can't be as difficult as changing all those reversing switches everytime I fly and finding the right transmitter for the right receiver.

Can you guys suggest something that will work with my GWS and JR receivers.

Thanks for all you help.

Mike
kansascloud is offline Find More Posts by kansascloud
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2005, 11:52 PM
Registered Boozer
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Sep 2003
1,768 Posts
<original post deleted>

I wrote this beautiful post about the Futaba 9c Super and at the end of it I re-read your post and realized you need to be JR compatible.

Oh well....my bad.

-Ralph-
Ralph_D is offline Find More Posts by Ralph_D
Old Jul 06, 2005, 11:56 PM
Checking the wind
Joined Jan 2002
1,403 Posts
Thanks Ralph!

Will it work with my JR and GWS Stuff? Is it frequency specific or will it work with any frequency?
Old Jul 06, 2005, 11:58 PM
Registered Boozer
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Sep 2003
1,768 Posts
Woah, you're quick...re-read my post above.

Sorry for the mixup.

-Ralph-
Ralph_D is offline Find More Posts by Ralph_D
Old Jul 07, 2005, 12:01 AM
Checking the wind
Joined Jan 2002
1,403 Posts
Thanks just the same Ralph.

Anyone with any experience with the Multiplex?
Old Jul 07, 2005, 12:40 AM
Singapore , Singapore
Joined Sep 2004
410 Posts
JR 9xII would suit your needs with 30 memory and 9 ch ofcourse it a JR.
fuse is offline Find More Posts by fuse
Old Jul 07, 2005, 03:36 AM
BFU Pilot
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Apr 2005
514 Posts
Are all those flyable planes on the same channel? Hitec's Optic 6 is a computer radio with 8 model memory that is available with a Spectra module that lets it use any channel in the 72Mhz band. The transmitter (Spectra or not) can be set for both positive shift (JR, Airtronics, Multiplex) and negative shift (Futaba, Hitec) so should work with your receivers, assuming they are all FM PPM types. Doesn't have as big a model memory as some of the bigger transmitters, and I don't know how many channels you need, but it might be a bit easier on the wallet depending on where you shop.
EdrickV is offline Find More Posts by EdrickV
Old Jul 07, 2005, 08:07 AM
What power line?
Rocky Mountains
Joined Aug 2004
3,507 Posts
I got an Optic 6. It has that spectrum module that allows you to change channels. You can also do positive and negative shift. They say it works with all radios, and I've been using it exclusively. Give it a try on your Beaver, EdrickV.
PoudreDerf is offline Find More Posts by PoudreDerf
Old Jul 07, 2005, 08:15 AM
Edison, NJ
Joined Mar 2005
1,044 Posts
Some people I know love the Polks Seeker. 99 model memory, hi and low shift, resonable price.
grouchy1 is offline Find More Posts by grouchy1
Old Jul 07, 2005, 08:17 AM
Houston
Joined Jan 2002
642 Posts
I have a optic 6 with spectrum module, know, I like it a lot
hokonghing is offline Find More Posts by hokonghing
Old Jul 07, 2005, 09:24 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,248 Posts
I second the vote for a Polk's Radio. The Tracker is the TX - available in 6 chan and 8 chan. THere is a new verison with upgraded features - the Tracker III (more ergonomic, also).

The Seeker is the Polk RX - again, 6 or 8 channels. Both can go neg or pos shift -so will work with any FM (ppm) TX -

Reasonable price - charger and 1 servo with each radio. I love mine -

www.polkshobby.com - catalog - radios

JimNM
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Jul 07, 2005, 09:47 AM
"$$Crashable Income$$"
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2004
1,068 Posts
im not sure about compatability, but, ive gotten an optic6 recently that im very happy with. the programing works fine and the price is great. its a very solid feeling tx in hand and i like the dark matte look it generaly has. im not femiliar with the rest of the radios people are mentioning but if you gave me 170 bucks to spend on a new tx i would just get another optic6 and have money left over for some servos or a kit or something.

the one (actualy very picky) gripe i have is that the antenna is too darned long. so ive ordered a rubber ducky antenna from the smiley antenna company that i hope will preform well and will reduce my feeling of dwebishness when im holding the radio.

it has an 8 channel memory but i dont have multiple models flying at once usualy so i cant clame to have used several at once.
maux is offline Find More Posts by maux
Old Jul 07, 2005, 12:53 PM
Newton, NJ
Joined May 2003
1,884 Posts
Hitec Eclipse 7 and Optic 6 are your "bargain" radios--best bang for the buck and will do everything you need. Eclipse has 7 model memories and 7 channels, Optic has 8 memories and 6 channels. If not all of your receivers are on the same channel, the spectra module will be a lifesaver for you. You might also want to take a look at the often ignored Airtronics line. They are JR compatible, and I believe that the RD6000 and RD8000 are both JR and Futaba compatible, with selectable shift.
BuzzBomber is offline Find More Posts by BuzzBomber
Old Jul 07, 2005, 01:24 PM
Checking the wind
Joined Jan 2002
1,403 Posts
As usual, you guys are a wealth of knowledge. I appreciate everything.

I see no end to this addiction, so I'll need lots of capacity. Right now I'm on 3 different freqss, but It would be easy to change all the crystals at this point. If an aircraft is set into memory does the transmitter remember the freq. as well?
Old Jul 07, 2005, 01:40 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Put me down for the FIFTH person recommending a Hitec Optic 6 transmitter. It's a great computer radio which won't cost you an arm and a leg. It also has a feature to transmit positive OR negative shift.

I've got one, and (aside from some throttle / elevator mixing difficulties) I love it!
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61