HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 01, 2005, 02:57 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Larry, as mine "came out of the box" and with the CG set to the book the "automatic lift" took the form of the plane performing continuous loops under power. If you want one of those then build it with the AOI as moulded into the plane. If you don't then I think you have two choices (and an infinite number of combinations in between) - add weight to the front to tame it (but I can't see how that won't affect the flying characteristics) or reset the AOI (and maybe add a little extra downthrust by sanding the forward top surface of the motor stick). The topic is dealt with in detail in the Zero thread but basically the AOI was set up for early Zeros which had a less powerful motor and GWS have never changed the moulds. How I did mine (not quite the same as others, but it works) was to mount the wing component of the mounting peg as high as I could without it sticking out above the wing, and the fuse component right at the bottom of its recess. I then sanded maybe 1/16 away from the underside of the fuse towards the rear of the wing slot. This had the effect of dropping the leading edge of the wing maybe 3/32 - 1/8 and lifting the trailing edge by 1/16. When you tighten everything up you'll have a gap between the upper wing surface and the fuse which you fill with lightweight spackle. Its much easier than it sounds but I have a Zero with neutral flying characteristics balanced by a 50-60gm 2 cell Lipo in the normal battery postion with no added clay. I say have and it should be had - I've just fitted a BP12 outrunner to it - remains to be seen what the outcome of that is! HTH
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2005, 11:55 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS4CEO

As I mention in the beginning how to match the system and props, You may try EP9050HD for 3 cells, or other similar size prop near 9050.

9075 is a little too much heavy in this application.

Overload will make you feel the performance like soft, yet battery energy lost quicker. Unless, the above set up is too hot for you, you may try 2 cells with EP1060HD.
Mr Lin,

I think you were right. The Spitfire flew faster than with the 350B motor and even though the performance was up the weight of the 400 seemed to help - the plane was nicer to fly and not twitchy as it was with the lighter motor. But the battery was too hot when I brought it back, even though I was not flying on WOT, so next time I try smaller pitch on 3 cells or 10x6 on two cells
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Aug 02, 2005, 05:13 PM
victoria,B.C.
Joined Mar 2004
70 Posts
Is anyone using the 4oo "d" gear motor with nimh batteries in a warbird?If so can you suggest a prop and battery size to me?thanx
keet is offline Find More Posts by keet
Old Aug 02, 2005, 08:48 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
lighter weight alwyas fly better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keet
Is anyone using the 4oo "d" gear motor with nimh batteries in a warbird?If so can you suggest a prop and battery size to me?thanx
Flight duration will be relative shorten! Yet, lighter weight alwyas fly better.
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Aug 02, 2005, 09:24 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,349 Posts
Mr Lin:

I just built a stock GWS Spitfire with the 350C motor gear (c) spinning a 9070/1080 prop most of the time 9070 with the new GWS lipo esc and the gws 7.4 volt 2 cell lipo 1300
all gws gear only using Aileron/Elevator/Throttle and th eplane flys great. I get about 2 flights of about 8-10 minutes out of each pack using throttle managment. I dont use landing gear and build all planes stock. no fiberglasing no extras. just GWS gear.

I uce a battery belt to hold the lipo in place and this setup works great on most of the Warbirds!
tallflyer is online now Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition
Old Aug 02, 2005, 10:33 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keet
Be sure to create a NiMh battery with lots of voltage for that 400 speed motor. hEight cells should do the trick.
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Old Aug 05, 2005, 02:03 AM
victoria,B.C.
Joined Mar 2004
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 61
Be sure to create a NiMh battery with lots of voltage for that 400 speed motor. hEight cells should do the trick.
I am thinking 8 cell 800mah (AAA) and a10/8 or 9/7 prop,abot 27 watts out.
That sound like I am on the right track or do I need a bigger cell size?
Old Aug 05, 2005, 08:05 AM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,561 Posts
Mr Lin,
Great to see some improvements to already great designs - Thankyou
I have now changed all my GWS sp300/350 models to sp400 (except Beaver)
In all cases the extra nose weight was a positive improvement when I worked out the best gear/prop ratios.
3S LiPo seem to be by far the best as the higher volts= lower current for same Watts.
I have found the flight envelopes expanded and cope well with 5-10 kt winds.
landing speed increase is negligible.
My 10 cents worth, keep up the great job.
Oh and thankyou for working to sort out Aussie distribution problems, all my flying buddies are dizzy with excitement.
Best Regards - Phil
Smokin' Beaver is offline Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver
Old Aug 05, 2005, 08:37 AM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,561 Posts
keet - sorry I overlooked your post.
I'll detail what I used in my Spit. bear in mind I now run lipo & power is +25% better & duration is 200% but Nimh are great bang-for-buck

NiMh Sp400 Spitfire
GWS 7.2V sp400
7x KAN1050 8.4V (5.5oz) 2/3A size
GWS 9050 HD prop
GWS pico servos x 3 (Ail/Rud/Elev)
CG = as per instructions.
Control throws = as per instructions. DO NOT add any more up elevator throw, it will bite you. (personal experience here- 1/4" is tons! & what I still use for full aerobatics)
Flight times 6 to 9 mins
Flight report - Full throttle hand launch @ between 10 & 11 o'clock, very stable climbout. not a fast climbout but authoritive, torquey & predictable.
Once at altitude you will have all the speed you need once you level off or start manouvers. also plenty of thrust to correct slow speed pilot errors.
Landing - (belly landing) come in @ 2 o'clock, level off at touchdown. very docile & predictable.

I also used a KAN 600 8cell 9.6V 2/3AA pack (4.5 oz) with all other details the same. flight times around 6 mins, more power at start but diminished within a few minutes. plane was quite a bit quicker and a bit twitchier (CG is further aft now due to 1 oz less nose weight). batteries got warm but never too hot.

I am very wary of NiMh AAA's with sp400's. I find them OK for 6 or 7 amps but no more. All sp 400s run well at around 9 to 10 amps. KAN 600 cells can do 10amps with good life expectancy , KAN 1050 are good for up to 15amps with long life.

Would love to add more but family committments now, sorry. PM me if you would like more?
Best Regards - Phil
Smokin' Beaver is offline Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver
Old Aug 05, 2005, 08:44 AM
crazy builder
United States, CA, Santee
Joined May 2001
222 Posts
Smokin' Beaver, Yhanks for the info , what gearbox ratio were you using ?
flying_pig is offline Find More Posts by flying_pig
Old Aug 06, 2005, 12:05 AM
victoria,B.C.
Joined Mar 2004
70 Posts
Thanx for the detailed answer Smokin' Beaver.Ive been searching these forums till my eyes bled,and only found one post (from 2004) from someone who was happy with nihms with this motor/gear combo.He used 8 kan1050's in a corsair
Used moto-calc aswell (for some reason never thinking of 2/3aa),but without alot of first hand knowledge the numbers are really only numbers.
I have 2 7 cell kan 1050 packs,unfortunatly they are in a "hump" config,but I should be able to resolder them into stick packs,no?That will still fit in my other planes.
I will order 1 new pack ,8 cell,in your opinion should I go for the 2/3 a 1050's (6oz+/-)
or the 2/3aa at 4 0z +/-?
Old Aug 06, 2005, 12:11 AM
victoria,B.C.
Joined Mar 2004
70 Posts
oh-ps,were you using a direct drive or geared?
Old Aug 06, 2005, 01:48 AM
Cliff
Chattahoochee,Fla
Joined Dec 2004
205 Posts
correct parts tree ( Black) wrong parts on it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS4CEO
Flight duration will be relative shorten! Yet, lighter weight alwyas fly better.
Mr. Lin. Am almost done with my Zero but ran into a snag. The black parts tree is double the items it should have and does not have the correct wing landing gear mounting plate. Wing cutout is 40mm and all mount plates provided are 50mm long. The gear strut rods are for 40mm.There are also many parts not for this kit. Called California and was told I was right and the correct parts just aren't available. Check on this please as I am very pleased with the quality of your products and this is just silly. Thank You Cliff
cwksr is offline Find More Posts by cwksr
Old Aug 06, 2005, 02:21 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,349 Posts
cwksr

The black parts tree should have two sets of gear holders double check your trees again!
tallflyer is online now Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition
Old Aug 06, 2005, 11:37 PM
Cliff
Chattahoochee,Fla
Joined Dec 2004
205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallflyer
cwksr

The black parts tree should have two sets of gear holders double check your trees again!
Tallflyer the only plates for the gear are 50mm long and the gear rod and wing cut out are 40mm. The Cal plant told me this was just discovered and I'm 100% correct and the correct part is not available.
AirWarrior said he has many so will send to me. Cliff
cwksr is offline Find More Posts by cwksr