SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 06, 2005, 01:29 PM
glasgow, scotland
Joined Mar 2004
11 Posts
Your Thoughts on The Walkera Dragonfly 36 Zoom T450 RC Helicopter

Hi All

Hope you are all well.

I have discovered what seems to be a really good buy on EBAY for a NEW 6CH Walkera Dragonfly #36 Zoom T450 RC Helicopter which would cost around £130 including shipping.

I was wondering if anyone had this bird or had any thoughts on it. I currently have the Aerohawk but I was looking to get in to the 3D flying side of things and this looks as if fits the bill. However I really don't know much about 3D flying and I may be "barking up the wrong tree with this bird."

I would really appreciate your comments.

Kind Regards

The Duke

PS here is the link to the site on EBAY

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2563&item=59853958 77&rd=1
theduke is offline Find More Posts by theduke
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2005, 12:09 AM
throttle down
Alaska
Joined Dec 2004
199 Posts
Havent had experience with this copter, but i am willing to bet the electronics arent very good, they werent on my walkera . what i can see, its got (stay away) written all over it. But hey thats just me. Good luck.
Dragonslayer is offline Find More Posts by Dragonslayer
Old Jul 08, 2005, 04:21 AM
And... Gravity Wins Again
Joined Sep 2004
346 Posts
I had a customer bring in one to my shop and basicly what i have to say is dont get it. One of the main problems for it is that because it is an off brand it will be hard to find correct parts for (You will break parts learnig). The other problem is that the electronics that it comes with are very low quality and you would have to basicly strip it and put all new gear to have a decent flyer.(no comp mixes in radio and you need lipos, brushless and stiffer blades) I know it might cost alot but the only real way to go is with a Shogun or a T-rex.

Dom
AnimalKracker is offline Find More Posts by AnimalKracker
Old Jul 08, 2005, 04:38 AM
Joined Mar 2005
1,879 Posts
contact303 is online now Find More Posts by contact303
Last edited by contact303; Feb 14, 2006 at 02:36 PM.
Old Jul 08, 2005, 06:31 AM
glasgow, scotland
Joined Mar 2004
11 Posts
Hi All

Many thanks for your advice which certainly says stay away. I have seen many comments on the T-rex, any ideas/ experience on the best place to buy from the UK.

I meant to mention in my original post that I currently own an Aerohawk but it has seen better days. I was wondering what you would recommend to replace it but allow me to still use the same 4ch transmitter that came with it.

Again many thanks indeed for your help.

Kind Regards

The Duke
Old Jul 08, 2005, 06:47 AM
glasgow, scotland
Joined Mar 2004
11 Posts
Hi Again

I have also seen this bird advertised which is another CP type for £160 incl shipping. Again your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

The Duke

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5985576303&ssPageName= MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores
Old Jul 08, 2005, 07:08 AM
Monmouth UK
Joined Oct 2004
1,043 Posts
I would rather buy this http://www.rcscale.co.uk/eshop/prodd...p?prod=ESKY3D6

Or the FP verison which is probably better as a first heli (this is were I brought mine form, excllent service). Use the savings for spares http://www.rcscale.co.uk/eshop/prodd...p?prod=108eSky

There's another shop which may be slightly cheaper (I also had very good service from them for spares) http://www.heli-fever.com/product_in...roducts_id=331
http://www.heli-fever.com/product_in...roducts_id=332

Make sure you order the 35MHz verison for UK.

Good luck.
hb888 is offline Find More Posts by hb888
Old Jul 08, 2005, 07:55 AM
glasgow, scotland
Joined Mar 2004
11 Posts
Hi hb888

Many thanks indeed I especially like the rcscale site, have never been on thier site before. Great prices, in the UK and they give you links to all the spare parts. They even have spares for my Aerohawk so it may fly again.

Great advice again many thanks

Regards

The Duke
Old Jul 08, 2005, 08:26 AM
Crowthorne, Berkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2002
211 Posts
The Duke
If you want a bare bones 400 size helicopter from the UK at a good price, how about a Zoom 400 from Sussex Model Centre for £99.99? Looks good to me.

Trev
TrevC is offline Find More Posts by TrevC
Old Jul 08, 2005, 08:32 AM
Sponsered By My Wallet!
Colwyn Bay, North Wales, UK
Joined May 2004
5,559 Posts
Wow, thats quite a good deal! (Well, for the UK anyway...)

Heres the linmk if any is interested:
http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk...+Heli-2665.htm

Duane
Minimole is offline Find More Posts by Minimole
Old Jul 08, 2005, 10:20 AM
adicted to FFF...!!!
Caracas/Venezuela
Joined Jun 2005
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by contact303
Same answer as always
ITS RUBBISH and the electonics will kill it or worse you
DO NOT BUY if you have to have cheapo walkera you will regret it and end up throwing mucho money at it afterwards just to make it fly

Barebone is the only possibility but then again get a trex or shogun
DONT DONT DONT
I can confirm that. I have a walkera 22d and the thing only ask for money and replacement parts, even using MS Compossit replacement parts. And also, the electronic equipment that came in mine doesn“t work after a few test flights (it still can“t hover)

now I have a Shogun, and the history is diferent.

the best you can do is buy a shogun/zap it“s cheap and an exellent heli
luis104 is offline Find More Posts by luis104
Old Jul 08, 2005, 12:37 PM
Girls? RC? School?
Phoenix, AZ 85017
Joined Sep 2004
187 Posts
I've got to disagree here. I used to have a CP hummingbird and had nothing but problems with it no matter what equipment I used. I bought the walkera and was a little dissapointed with the electronics but I kind of expected it after dealing with some of the other RTF helis. Just like with all micro helis I would suggest getting your own electronics and just buy the bare bones heli. With just a cheap brushed speed control and receiver this thing flies just as good as the name brand ones IMO. So far I have had zero problems with it. I have had two pretty good crashes already too and all I managed to do was break the ball off one of the blade grips and break the landing gear. I work at a hobby store and deal with these things all the time. So far I am pleased with mine. Just beware of the electronics.

That's my rant.
falcon247 is offline Find More Posts by falcon247
Old Jul 11, 2005, 08:46 PM
glasgow, scotland
Joined Mar 2004
11 Posts
Hi All

Sorry have not been back in touch have been away. Lot's to thinks about, I really do appreciate all your advice.

Will need to review all my options and make a decision soon.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 06:13 AM
Sunday Flier
Sweden
Joined May 2005
1,488 Posts
Look at a Trex instead, that's what this is (mostly) cloned from anyway, and has cheap parts when and if you break it.
Rickenbacker is offline Find More Posts by Rickenbacker
Old Oct 28, 2007, 12:08 AM
Joined Oct 2007
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickenbacker
Look at a Trex instead, that's what this is (mostly) cloned from anyway, and has cheap parts when and if you break it.

I actually took my Walkera 35# to a few hobby shops, only to find that all the parts can be replaced with Hirobo parts. There was a website that I saw a while back, I think it was europe based, which listed the walkera parts, and the Hirobo counter parts.

That being said, parts aren't cheap, no, but they are available in great abundance.

The stock rotor blades are ugly as heck, and they get bashed around pretty quick, so once you learn the intricacies of the model itself, I would highly recommend switching the fiberglass main/tail rotors to CF......

Motor itself could use an upgrade, but hey, for the price, its RTF, and the motor goes just well with this rotary wing aircraft.
DopeMarty is offline Find More Posts by DopeMarty