HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2002, 09:35 AM
Austin Texas
Joined Apr 2002
6 Posts
Question
Hitec Eclipse DLG launch presets?

Hello All!

I have upgraded from a Flash 5X to an eclipse. I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to set up that nice springy trainer switch as a launch preset switch? Failing that, anyone have any tips for setting up the eclipse for DLG?

Thanks,

John
http://www.geocities.com/johntestsgo/
johngo is offline Find More Posts by johngo
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2002, 12:38 PM
Winchester; Ohio
Joined Feb 2001
876 Posts
Hi John and welcome.
Does the Hitec have a snap roll switch? On the Futaba radios I have I use the snap roll switch which on the futaba doubles as the trainer switch. It works for either or, I guess they figure that if you have a guy on a buddy box you wont be needing the snap roll switch
The Hitec may have a similar setup or a way to program it as you want.
Adam
Adam Neat is offline Find More Posts by Adam Neat
Old Apr 23, 2002, 02:25 PM
Everyday normal guy.
Sunnyvale, CA
Joined Feb 2002
346 Posts
Ask Mike at Hitec

Post your question here and I'm sure you'll get an answer quickly.

Don
Don Cohn is offline Find More Posts by Don Cohn
Old Apr 24, 2002, 01:03 AM
Ventura, California, United States
Joined Jan 2001
119 Posts
You can set DLG preset with the Elipse 7. Which one you preset depends on whether you are holding the transmitter in your left hand or right on launch.

What you want to do is set up one of the programmable mixers; see page 22 of the manual. I set it up for holding the transmitter in my left hand so I chose to use Mixer 4 which uses the Rudder D/R switch in conjunction with VR2 pot. I set the mixing at 100% for right turn and 0% for left (from what I remember) to make sure VR2 would only move the rudder from Center to Right; No left turn is possible with VR2. To set up the the mixers for right hand you would use (I believe) the Channel 7 switch. I think the VR1 pot works with it, but check it out. I believe this works in both AERO and GLID mode. If you need more data I can check out my transmitters setting. Herb

ps. It's late so no more grammar checking <G>
herbs is offline Find More Posts by herbs
Last edited by herbs; Apr 24, 2002 at 01:12 AM.
Old Apr 25, 2002, 08:25 AM
Austin Texas
Joined Apr 2002
6 Posts
Tanks for replies!

Hello All!

I have been swamped at work, so forgive me for not responding in a more timely manner.

I have scoped out the manual for my Eclipse to understand the programming as suggested in the previous post. I can figure out how to program it eventually. (the V-tail setup was easy!)

However, I have a bit of confusion about what I'm setting up. First, a couple of explanations: I have a plane I built for DLG, but haven't flown it that way yet. For my Flash 5x, I programmed a javelin launch switch, and used a rubber band on the switch so that I would hold the switch at launch and let go as soon as I launched it.

If I program the P-Mix4 switch for DLG, which isn't spring loaded, how do I set up the switch to quickly go from launch mode to flight mode? (I'll be holding the xmitter in my left hand.)

Second, so I can visualize better, which direction should the rudder be deflected and how much for a DLG launch preset. (I don't have a gyro.) Assume I am standing behind my plane with the tail facing me so we have the same explanation perspective.

Thanks for your help.

John
Old Apr 26, 2002, 03:39 PM
Austin Texas
Joined Apr 2002
6 Posts
No one noticed my last post so I am doing this to move it up in the world. Hopefully my last entry will be answered. Otherwise, I have to make a new thread.

John
Old Apr 26, 2002, 04:37 PM
Go Dawgs!!!!!!!
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,860 Posts
John,

For SAL on my bug mhlg, I use the snap roll switch and set it up so that ele and rudd inputs are zero, and ail is 18% RIGHT or so when I hit the switch. This is on a JR 8103, so I dunno if your tx has the same capability, but it should. I just hold the switch on at launch, and let go about 15-20 feet up...at that point it has stablized. Im right handed, and the snap roll sw is on the left side of my tx, so it works great!!

Later,
David
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 28, 2002, 01:10 AM
Ventura, California, United States
Joined Jan 2001
119 Posts
Gofli has it right, the rudder is deflected right for a CCW right hand launch.

As far as the switch goes, your left thumb can throw/push the D/R switch away from you turning off the mixer as soon as the plane is launched, although I am still expermenting when is best to turn it off. A little cumbersome, a momentary switch would be better just under your thumb or index finger, but it works. Herb
herbs is offline Find More Posts by herbs
Old Apr 29, 2002, 07:52 AM
Austin Texas
Joined Apr 2002
6 Posts
Thank you all for your replies. I now can visualize setting the rudder to some small 18% right turn for the sal launch and I can see how to hold the xmitter to turn it off at launch. Someone at my flying field said they saw someone replace one of the three position switches with one that is three position and momentary at the top position. He couldn't remember which switch though. Sounds interesting, but I wouldn't want to void the warranty on my new little toy.

John
Old Nov 23, 2004, 06:33 PM
Joined Sep 2004
2 Posts
spring switch.

Hi there,
coping with the same problem Icame up with a simple but effective solution.

I am using the r/d switch and modified it with a carbon tube and a elastic band. The elastic band pulls the switch toward the handle of the transmitter. To ensure the band has enough leverage on the switch use a spacer or tube of some kind. Iuse ac arbon scrap tube from 14 mm. Everything works like a dream.

eric
speedsweets is offline Find More Posts by speedsweets
Old Nov 24, 2004, 12:36 AM
United States, AZ, Arizona City
Joined Sep 2001
4,999 Posts
My Eclipse is in a box somewhere in the garage (haven't unpacked yet) but I always set the launch preset on the first mode switch on the left of the xmtr. I hold my index finger on it and just flip it off when necessary. Seems to work fine.

On the camber settings, I tried setting them up on the throtle stick, but it's hard to get a consistent middle setting. I think that you could set up three modes, one for launch, one for thermal and one for landing. I didn't do that because I talked myself into a Futaba 9C instead.

Then I found it should have been the Futaba 9H to get the momentary switch on the left side.

Oh well.

Gary
GaryO is online now Find More Posts by GaryO