HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 05, 2005, 08:28 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Norfolk Intl, Virginia, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
Build Log
Fly the “NASTY”! Free Plans, Build Guide, and Videos

A 3D plane that takes a beating and keeps on flying!
Are you a beginner in Sport/3D flying? An intermediate who wants to move to the next step in flying? An advanced flyer who wants something stronger to practice your “down low” routines? Want a plane that is stiffer in flight, but still able to auger into the ground and fly again? Then you’ll have to try the “Nasty”! It’ll take a “nasty” beating and keep on flying! I’ve smacked this into asphalt repeatedly and only broken props! It’s designed with enough wing loading to take the heavier brushed motors and batteries, yet still retain its slow flight characteristics for beginners and budgeted flyers. Go brushless and lipo, and you will have a stiffer, lighter 3D trainer that will float happily along while you practice your harriers and hovers at a ¼ throttle. Punch the throttle and it becomes an aerobatic animal that’s stiff enough to take snap rolls, blenders, and ballistic ascents! Either way, you’ll fly a little more relaxed and confident that it won’t turn into Styrofoam popcorn on your next “oops”!

There are many 3D plane plans and kits available and most are wonderful, providing you’re a good flyer who doesn’t crash much! But to get good, “you will crash a lot if you practice a lot.” And I’d rather fly then repair. This is an excellent trainer that is cheap to build and fly. I’ve flown and built Yaks, Sukhoi, Caps, Funtana’s, and Shockies of all types here on ezone. I took the attributes of what I like about each, drew them up on CAD, tested, flew and had others fly, until all bad habits were erased and refinements were complete. You’ll see bits and pieces of each plane in the “Nasty”.
There is no X-body/shockie style fuselage. Its profile shape flies 3D very well, as there is no deflection of the prop wash from a wide fuselage. Every bit of air is washed over the surfaces to control the plane. Its body is designed for easy to learn “knife-edges”, while still being able to eat its own tail in flat spins and loops. Body strength is achieved by strategically placed triangle balsa pieces that are braced against the main carbon fiber supports. Fly for over 20 minutes on a 1500 ma 3cell, 12 minutes on an 830 ma.
Build is exceptionally easy and fast for beginners and quick for those who would rather be flying then building. Scan the Build Guide and plans to see why. The first two videos are flown with the 2nd prototype, the last video with the finished version. Don’t expect to see Martin or Chip Hyde flying in these as I’m not that good yet. But neither are most of the people in the hobby! And that is where this plane fills the void. Most of us don’t have “still air” Gyms to practice in or get many days with no wind, let alone time to fly. These videos were filmed in a school yard with 5-10 mph winds, which is typical of the average flyer. It gets the “thumbs up” at the field.

Video showing crash testing: www.ozonefoam.com/nasty.wmv 6mgs (CG issues on this one)

Video showing “slowfight” testing of the original prototype: www.ozonefoam.com/3d.wmv 12mgs Cable
www.ozonefoam.com/3ddu.wmv 7mgs Dialup (Wing changes made after)

Video showing it’s “in close” 3D capabilities, using the Helmet Cam:
www.ozonefoam.com/nasty4.wmv Dialup 9mgs
www.ozonefoam.com/nasty4c.wmv Cable 18 mgs (Final version)

Here is Ted Uroskie's (Spelled wrong in video,oops) first flight with the "Nasty". He designs planes commercially and is an accomplished pilot. Plane was a tad nose heavy for the flight but he gave it the "thumbs up".

www.ozonefoam.com/ted.wmv

Sometimes the server is slow with many viewers, so check back.

If you would like to try one, here are the Plans and Build Guide below.

Do not use them for commercial purposes or duplicate and reproduce them. Please do not ask for DXF, DWG, files etc. They are for your use only, so go have fun!

Tiled Plans: www.ozonefoam.com/nasty3.pdf
One Page plans: www.ozonefoam.com/nasty1.pdf
Build Guide: www.ozonefoam.com/nbg.pdf

Oh? What's that you say? You've built "flat" planes and now you want more?
Alright, hot stuff, let's see if you're ready for a Full fuselage, Full symetrical wing, blazingly fast plane called the "BIGNASTY".
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&page=13&pp=15 Click it if you think you're good enough...

Happy Flying,
WaterDog
WaterDog is offline Find More Posts by WaterDog
Last edited by WaterDog; Mar 10, 2011 at 05:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2005, 09:00 PM
Joined Oct 2003
15 Posts
Nice.

R
Ratchet is offline Find More Posts by Ratchet
Old Jul 05, 2005, 10:36 PM
Build...Crash...Build...
Williamsburg, Virginia
Joined Apr 2005
570 Posts
Great job!!! Can't wait try one for myself
slowracing is offline Find More Posts by slowracing
Old Jul 05, 2005, 11:02 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Great guide, again WD... Video's are great as well.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Jul 05, 2005, 11:25 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
Thank you!
Old Jul 05, 2005, 11:51 PM
Arlington,Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,239 Posts
Thumbs up again WaterDog. The build guides you put together are top notch. Makes it a lot easier for builders.....like me . The music on the 2nd video was right on time.
bass3587 is offline Find More Posts by bass3587
Old Jul 06, 2005, 10:45 AM
Build...Crash...Build...
Williamsburg, Virginia
Joined Apr 2005
570 Posts
WaterDog,

I hate to ask, but is there any way you can post a full scale PDF file for those of us that have plotters A DXF file would also work.

Thanks!!
Last edited by slowracing; Jul 06, 2005 at 02:59 PM.
Old Jul 06, 2005, 09:32 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
Landing gear set up.

Will add this to the Build Guide. For landing gear use two pieces of solid carbon fiber with 1/16 music wire wrapped in thread and CA'd to the CF for the hubs. Add wheels of your choice, 1-1/2 inch works fine.
Drill two holes in the Balsa triangle and insert the wheels. Easy, fast and can be made removable.

slowracing- sorry I don't.
Last edited by WaterDog; Jul 07, 2005 at 12:12 PM.
Old Jul 07, 2005, 10:32 AM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,616 Posts
Awesome.

I've been for some tipo browsing the forum searching for plans for the first plane i'm going to build!
And now i found this one. It's choosen!
As a beginner, and after seeing the pdf's, i could only ask for some things.
First the measure be in mm too! For the metric guys, we pass most of the time converting everything. And a mark to chek in the full sized pdf, that after printing the size is correct. (I don't know the exact name for that mark)
The second is that is missing some info, about the main body part building, regarding the CF rod placement and size.

I found all the info and stuff excellent. I'm going to get some materials and start building this one today.
Btw what depron should i use? 3mm or 6mm?

NOTE: These are comments from a real beginner, so if they are very unappropriate please don't have them in mind or send some emails threatning me...
IceWind is offline Find More Posts by IceWind
Last edited by IceWind; Jul 07, 2005 at 11:17 AM.
Old Jul 07, 2005, 01:33 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
Icewind- you're right! I fixed that and added the landing gear too. Thank you. No metrics this time. I don't think this is a good beginner plane if you haven't flown before. You should start with the "STC" or equivalent then build one of these. "STC"-http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354237&page=31#post3993165

You should also use 6mm depron for this plane.

Where are you from?
Old Jul 07, 2005, 01:45 PM
Arlington,Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,239 Posts
Hey Waterdog did you get my PM?
bass3587 is offline Find More Posts by bass3587
Old Jul 07, 2005, 01:52 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
bass3587- Just checked. I don't think anything less then a 11inch prop will work with this. It really needs the thrust to hover. Sorry.
Old Jul 07, 2005, 02:03 PM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterDog
Icewind- you're right! I fixed that and added the landing gear too. Thank you. No metrics this time. I don't think this is a good beginner plane if you haven't flown before. You should start with the "STC" or equivalent then build one of these. "STC"-http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354237&page=31#post3993165

You should also use 6mm depron for this plane.

Where are you from?
I'm from Portugal.
I'm a beginner in terms of building planes from scratch.
Not in flying, i'm no expert but i've other planes.

But, i liked this one. I got addicted to the name. LOL
I went and buy some stuff to do it this afternoon.
I'll start building it soon.

Thanks for the reply.
IceWind is offline Find More Posts by IceWind
Old Jul 07, 2005, 02:51 PM
Build...Crash...Build...
Williamsburg, Virginia
Joined Apr 2005
570 Posts
WaterDog,

Looks like you're from my neck of the woods VA, I'm in Williamsburg. Where do you guys fly on your side of the water??

Sonny
Old Jul 07, 2005, 02:58 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowracing
WaterDog,

Looks like you're from my neck of the woods VA, I'm in Williamsburg. Where do you guys fly on your side of the water??

Sonny
We fly the local school yards here, Debbies RC in Chesapeake, Mt Trashmore for sloping, and lots of water for the seaplanes. How about you?

(Nice website you have)