HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 22, 2002, 11:17 PM
new york
Joined Dec 2001
40 Posts
stinger #10 conversion

I just purchased a lanier stinger no 10 , can this be converted to and electric with a 7 cell car pack 1500mah? you can please email me direct, ronplanes@cs.com
Marcos is offline Find More Posts by Marcos
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2002, 07:07 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,070 Posts
E mailing someone direct defeats the puropse of these forums. We all want to learn from these discussions. I, for one, would like to know if the Stinger 10 would covert well to electric. I have had one sitting here for years. I just can't bring myself to put an OS 10 in it. Tom
Tom Smith is offline Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Old Apr 25, 2002, 07:43 PM
United States, NY, Spencerport
Joined Oct 2001
2,801 Posts
Yes, asking for direct email does put forth an air of laziness and selfishness that I'm sure you didn't intend. Let's keep the discussions in the discussion groups please.

You have been doing your homework, though. Cell count is the important factor in glow conversions, not what motor you use. You asked the right question.

I took a look at the Stinger 10 just now, and it appears to be a lead sled in its natural glow habitat. Add to that a huge battery and you'll be lucky to make the high end of their predicted all-up weight.

7 cells at 25A will give you between 70 and 80 watts per pound, provided you can keep it under 40oz. Not too shabby. Just be warned that the wing loading at that weight is over 21oz per square foot, so it's gonna be fasssssst.

Now, you need a motor that will do 25A on 7 cells. Kyosho Magnetic Mayhem, perhaps? Direct drive will give you the best thrust at speed. I plugged the numbers into Pcalc (I know, not the most accurate) and a 7x6 Master Airscrew prop on direct drive gives pretty good numbers.

By the way, I'd like to make a disclaimer here. This is my best guess based on the knowledge I've accumulated thus far. I reserve the right to be totally wrong, and you are fairly warned that this setup could very well burst into flame 30 seconds into the maiden voyage.
mkirsch1 is offline Find More Posts by mkirsch1
Old Apr 25, 2002, 09:55 PM
Schumacher USA
Tampa FL
Joined Jul 2000
3,038 Posts
I'm glad you included the disclaimer there mkirsch1, I once took your advice and sure enough - 29.5 seconds after handlaunching my plane it turned into a falling flaming ball, and caught our flying field afire!

Just kidding of course!

If you can find one, a T450 direct drive with a 7X8 prop and 7 cells works well too. I use this on my (4th -5th -6th? revision) of my .20size Lanier Shrike.

Shawn
Shawn Palmer is offline Find More Posts by Shawn Palmer
Old Apr 26, 2002, 08:46 AM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,273 Posts
Marcos - I looked at this plane a few months back, also did a search of "stinger". The threads that I did find felt it is too over built for EASY e-conversion. I decided on a Mini-Kaos form the MAN plans, I will start cutting the "kit" of parts this weekend if the rain continues.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and your progress though, there are two Stinger .10's in the LHS.
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old Apr 26, 2002, 09:08 AM
Product Manager at Hobbico
United States
Joined May 2000
5,163 Posts
The stinger 10 is a a bit overbuilt for E-flight, that's for sure. I'd think cutting the "rib bays" out after sheeting and putting cap strips on would be a first step, then a LOT done to the fuselage. Tail is built up stick, so it should be OK. The stinger 10 is actually a really fun plane. There's a "trend" in the south georgia area to greatly overpower them. The one I've flown up there has a Webra 36 in it with tuned pipe, and one of the apc 7.8 inch props, I think the pitch is around 6 or 7 inches. WAY over 100mph! A real blast to fly. They use an extremely long drill bit to drill a hole through the wing spanwise at the thick point,, lather up a fiberglass tube with epoxy and stick it in to take the stresses of putting 4 or 5 times the intended power in them . I would think, however, for e-flight, you'd need some serious lightening, and CP1300 or 1700 cells to keep the wieght down to fly with the relatively "low" (comparatively speaking) power levels.
GWRIGHT is offline Find More Posts by GWRIGHT
Old Apr 26, 2002, 10:47 AM
new york
Joined Dec 2001
40 Posts
stinger 10

Quote:
Originally posted by GWRIGHT
The stinger 10 is a a bit overbuilt for E-flight, that's for sure. I'd think cutting the "rib bays" out after sheeting and putting cap strips on would be a first step, then a LOT done to the fuselage. Tail is built up stick, so it should be OK. The stinger 10 is actually a really fun plane. There's a "trend" in the south georgia area to greatly overpower them. The one I've flown up there has a Webra 36 in it with tuned pipe, and one of the apc 7.8 inch props, I think the pitch is around 6 or 7 inches. WAY over 100mph! A real blast to fly. They use an extremely long drill bit to drill a hole through the wing spanwise at the thick point,, lather up a fiberglass tube with epoxy and stick it in to take the stresses of putting 4 or 5 times the intended power in them . I would think, however, for e-flight, you'd need some serious lightening, and CP1300 or 1700 cells to keep the wieght down to fly with the relatively "low" (comparatively speaking) power levels.
Yes I started to build the fuse and it would take a lot of work to lighten the entire airframe, Soooo I going to put my enya 15 in the plane and just find another model for my electric set up, Thanks all for the input. Marcos , I tried to put this zero image in , beecause this was a hard to do coversion also.COLOR=firebrick]Marcos[/COLOR] --
Marcos is offline Find More Posts by Marcos