HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 05, 2005, 10:10 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,733 Posts
Pat's New Stinson Reliant Design

Pat Tritle sez that he's about to start designing a 42" w/s Stinson Reliant for a future Dare kit. He plans to design it for lightness and rudder/elevator
/motor control via small brushed motor/geardrive like his other designs with options for brushless/lipo/ailerons, etc. This should be a great addition to the series . Yay Pat!!!!!!
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2005, 01:26 PM
Joined Sep 2003
1,180 Posts
added!!!
gearup is offline Find More Posts by gearup
Old Jul 05, 2005, 07:01 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,456 Posts
Stinson Reliant

Sounds like a great project. Will it be the straight wing SR-5 or one of the gull wing SR-9/10?

Hope it is the straight wing, like them much better than the gull!!

Can't wait to see how it turns out!!

Brian Allen

Veni Vedi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Brian Allen is offline Find More Posts by Brian Allen
Old Jul 05, 2005, 08:48 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
Wow, it doesn't take long for word to leak out! But that's OK, a little "pre-design" excitement is always good. Actually, I've been thinking about the size a good bit since this idea was presented to the Guys at Dare, and am thinking that about a 48" span would be good, for geared S-280 and Lipo. The flat windscrean SR-7 Gull Wing would be my first choice. I have tons of good 3 view and tech data on the whole SR series, so will have to dig it out and have a look-see.
PAT
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Old Jul 06, 2005, 01:52 AM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,196 Posts
Pat how about some 3 views of a nice Cessna 152 aerobat!

Scott
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Jul 06, 2005, 07:18 AM
Joined Sep 2003
1,180 Posts
Pat, no one has done a Stinson Junior.. you have to admit, its big, ugly and has a great history as early airliner... maybe next year??
Old Jul 06, 2005, 08:02 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,547 Posts
Egad! Pat, a little word leaks out and you end up with more requests! Good for business, eh? I guess I should up my balsa order

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jul 06, 2005, 08:17 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
Looks like I better stoke up the computer and get going!!!
Old Jul 06, 2005, 08:48 AM
Joined Sep 2003
1,180 Posts
LOL well I held my breath for the past 14 months figuring Pat would gin up a Globe Swift after the Luscombe, Waco and Cessna 140.. looks like I am going to have to get teh brown paper bag and #2 pencils out and see what I can hack up... ( you know , PAts design would fly MUCH better than mine (HINT HINT)!
Old Jul 06, 2005, 09:06 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,733 Posts
Sorry Pat, I couldn't keep something this big quiet!! The SR-5 straight wing is nice too but the fat and sexy gull wing, bumpy cowl, and huge wheel pants add a lot to the art-deco look, I fell in love with the gull-wing Reliant after building a couple of the Comet kits 50 years ago.

Ideas: Lengthen the nose structure a little to make balance easier, extend the gear legs and lengthen tail wheel leg a little so large diameter props won't strike the ground, use pull-pull and light structure rearward of cabin to avoid tail heaviness. Make tail-wheel steerable or castering if possible. Cowl ring could be made easily removable with velcro etc. to insert and remove lipo packs extending through firewall to achieve balance. I mounted 8 KAN 1050's to the front of the firewall using a ply ring around the motor to get my 42 Berkely Reliant balanced with AXI 2212/20 and 8" diameter props. A design allowing 9" or larger diameter props would allow many more power system choices.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Last edited by E-Challenged; Jul 06, 2005 at 10:00 AM. Reason: additions
Old Jul 06, 2005, 10:24 AM
Independence, KY and Brandon, MS
Joined Jun 2000
697 Posts
Pat -

How nice to hear that you are considering the SR-7 as a new project. The gull wing Reliant is one of my favorite airplanes. I started a drawing for a 50" SR-7 several years ago and have just not gotten it finished. Mine started as a blow up of the 25" Comet kit. Once started I realized the Comet kit made more compromises than I wanted, so I went off on my own. I would sure prefer to take advantage of your talents rather than invest more time on my drawing. I look forward to hearing about this great project.

Paul Bradley
PaulBrad is offline Find More Posts by PaulBrad
Old Jul 06, 2005, 10:43 AM
Lockport, Ill
Joined Aug 2003
182 Posts
Pat,
I like the 48" wing but with a geared 280 it will have to be very light. That would limit the flying time to dead calm only. Is there any way to brow beat you into desiging a "heavy" airframe? Seems like the winds in the Chicage are always blowing, either from nature or the politicians.
Rich
houndsfour is offline Find More Posts by houndsfour
Old Jul 06, 2005, 11:00 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,547 Posts
Rich,

Pat's idea of heavy would probably still be too light for you! OTOH, you can always build it heavier. When I added ailerons and flaps to his Bird Dog it went from 9oz to 14oz. From IPS power to geared sp280. You could do the same with his sp280 design and upgrade it to a brushless or sp400.

Beware! When raising the weight of a design, a bit of thought needs to go into which pieces need to be built out of larger size wood, adding shear webs, load bearing wing struts, landing gear mounting, etc. Not too difficult if you think about it ahead of time. The good part is the fuse designs of the 'stick and tissue' types end up being very strong for their weight.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jul 06, 2005, 11:09 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Mmmmmmmmmmm... Stinson Reliant. Having flown one, I'd have to bash the SR-7 into an SR-9E though

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Jul 06, 2005, 09:50 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
Sounds like we stumbled across a winner here. Might be a good idea to get started real soon.
Rich, I know what you mean about the Windy City. I lived there twice myself. But Charlie's right, It's easy to make a light airplane heavy, but it's tough to make a heavy airplane light.
Paul, Great to see you lurking about out there. Somehow I'm not surprised that the SR-7 would tickle your fancy. I too have concidered upscaling the old Comet kit once or twice, but also believe it would be easier to start with a blank sheet of paper.
Meanwhile, I think I'll go dig out the drawings and get something going!
PAT