Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 22, 2002, 08:04 PM
Roxboro, NC U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2000
714 Posts
removing a broken former from fuse

I was wondering if it would be worth while to visit the lhs and buy some CA debonder or not? I have to remove the F1 former from my cutie and replace it. Any tips or ideas? Or just go slow and work it out a little at the time with a #11 blade? I have ordered another former from SR already and want to be ready when it arrives. This plane flies great and I want to get it back in the air as soon as possible.
Mike C is offline Find More Posts by Mike C
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2002, 09:33 PM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,464 Posts
Personally, I'd just go the #11 blade method of cutting it out. Then I'd just make a new one out of lite ply (assuming thats what its made of) Using the debonder is going to take a while, and will probably take an entire bottle.

--Paul
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 23, 2002, 07:59 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Gosh.. how badly is it broken? I would usually just patch it with small pieces of ply, and fill the gaps with a little thick CA.. Trying to get it out may weaken the structure around it (side panels) enough to cause a problem later on.
I had to repair mine following a very early flight that I let my original R/C instructor fly - I have my models set up with maximum throws in most cases, and he wasn't prepared for that - see video on the squid-ink site! Anyway, a few patches here and there, and a new battery tray, and it's got dozens of flights on it now..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Apr 23, 2002, 10:18 PM
Roxboro, NC U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2000
714 Posts
Andy, there were several parts that I could not find of the former. It has a round hole in the top half of the former and the oblong hole below it. About half of the top of the former is missing from the hole where the hatch screw was to the edge and a small section of the piece between the holes is missing with the rest of that piece knocked out. The plane hit hard on the nose with the prop spinning. I think the motor went up and back while the batterydid a battering ram impression going forward. See the pic on a thread titled It's alive. the GB is totally destroyed even broke the nylon gear on the shaft. I asked Larry and he suggested either getting the complete former out, or trimming it flush and trimming the tabs off of the new one and putting it in with some wood behind it to support it from behind.
Old Apr 24, 2002, 09:32 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts

Good job on breaking your cutie (have you downloaded my video from the squid-ink site? My damage was different, but equally severe - an easy fix, however)..

In your position, I'd probably work slowly and carefully and cut out the old one too.. Good luck!
..a
Old Apr 25, 2002, 03:57 PM
Roxboro, NC U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2000
714 Posts
Thanks Andy! I've always said that after I watch somebody do something I can do it to!! I did go and find some more of the pieces. The spinner dug a decent hole into packed earth at the crash site. Maybe a huge rubber spinner is in order for me. The more I look at it I think it will be a quick repair fro me as well. I really want to fly this plane again soon!!
Old Apr 27, 2002, 03:26 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Ho Hum.. get out the glue again..
Old Apr 27, 2002, 03:31 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Fun fly today.. only electric, of course. Pretty gusty - 5-10 and variable. Did well in the events until the spot landing (most in a minute).

Was running an APC E 8x4 on the 400/22, on 8xCP1300.. nice performance, leaps off the ground, etc. However, for the spot landing competition, I switched to a Tornado 7x4 - nice and flexible for those bounce and go's where the prop catches (brake disabled, so it freewheels, so there's more chance of prop damage). So I told myself to keep the nose down a bit, which I did on takeoff, but after the first touch, I pulled up as usual (as I would with bigger prop), never let the speed pick up, and turned too slow - spun in from about 6' onto the asphalt.

If I'd been on the grass it wouldn't have hurt it nearly as much.

Of course, if I'd let it accelerate before turning, it wouldn't have happened at all!

Should be an easy fix, however.. Just bummed I broke the motor "mount" - a Graupner speed 400 GB makes a great 400-sized brushless mount.. until you break it..

..a
Old Apr 27, 2002, 03:32 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
FYI - here's the damage from the cutie crash video on squid-ink - my instructor was flying that one. That WAS a quick fix..

Now I have good reason to rework the nose to accomodate the 400/22 without a mount (put in a bulkhead)..
..a
Old Apr 27, 2002, 03:32 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Ooops.. here's the picture:
Old Apr 29, 2002, 10:07 AM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,335 Posts
So uh, did you hit the spot?
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Old Apr 29, 2002, 02:14 PM
Garland, Texas
Joined Jul 2000
339 Posts
No he hit a spot, a HARD spot
Rekit is offline Find More Posts by Rekit
Old Apr 29, 2002, 03:26 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
I hit the 25x400' black asphalt one.. Perfect..

On a bright note, an hour with thin CA and it's almost in good enough shape to fly. I'm going to rework the nose so I can drop motors in without using a mount of some kind.. Also need to brace the LG blocks with some triangle stock down the sides..
..a
Old May 03, 2002, 07:10 PM
New Zealand, Taranaki, Midhirst
Joined Feb 1999
3,424 Posts
Andy , Andy ,Andy.

Hey tough lil ship that one considering the damage indicated and as everyone no's we fly them wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy outside what they are designed for at times.

Cheers Sluf7
Sluf7 is offline Find More Posts by Sluf7
Old May 04, 2002, 09:14 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Here's a better pic showing the amount of damage it sustained.
..a