SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 03, 2005, 08:27 PM
Sand it round!
Brisbane Australia
Joined Oct 2004
720 Posts
Combat wing design question.

Is it a good idea to have a slightly thicker tip section to aid in recovery and prevent tip stalling?
DennisRB is offline Find More Posts by DennisRB
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2005, 09:06 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,175 Posts
Dennis Ive found with my new Swept wing Spade design that it recovers very well from combat contact , it still carries 3 degs of washout and is stable as the proverbial
brick outhouse I do not think that thicknening the tip section would achieve much at all IMHO
SteveW
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Jul 03, 2005, 09:20 PM
Sand it round!
Brisbane Australia
Joined Oct 2004
720 Posts
I wanted to do it instead of adding washout. I thought 3 degrees of washout would add a fair bit of drag? (more than a slight increase in thickness)
Old Jul 03, 2005, 09:34 PM
C'mon more Energy
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2005
3,217 Posts
I had i faily thick home made combat wing with maybe about 3 degrees of washout and 10% mid cord and 12% tips and it did recover as good as anything i have ever seen or flown it was great in light lift and turned on a dime. It didnt keep up with the Zagis and Bees but it killed heaps of them beacuse it would recover after a big hit in about 2 metres. It was also very light but sufered from being to pitch sensitive. mmmmm if only i had the moded controler then.!
Swoopdown is offline Find More Posts by Swoopdown
Old Jul 03, 2005, 09:46 PM
Sand it round!
Brisbane Australia
Joined Oct 2004
720 Posts
mmm, well I am thinking of making something that is somewhere between a halfpipe and a zagi. That is fast and vertical, but strong enough to take hits, and have some hope of recovering. Its obviously never going to be as fast as a halfpipe AND as rugged and recoverable as a zagi. But I think a compromise can be reached. At Rosins the lift is so huge and the flying area is so massive that hits are rare, and I spend most of the time actually flying the thing, rather than crashing it, so flight performance is more important for me. It has to be able to recover though, it doesn't have to be in 2 meters, but it does need to recover.

If I were to make a pure combat plane, I would go for something like you made with thick sections and washout. But I wan't a speed combater. 90% flying fun and 10% combat. I am hoping the added energy it will have will help offset its less recoverable and heavy nature. I want to use the new PW51 foil on it. Its only about 1% thinner than the 5C foil anyway.
Old Jul 03, 2005, 10:09 PM
C'mon more Energy
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2005
3,217 Posts
sounds good. I must say the half pipe blew me away the other week. I will be building one for myself or Dad or friend very soon.
Old Jul 03, 2005, 10:14 PM
Sand it round!
Brisbane Australia
Joined Oct 2004
720 Posts
Sweet Oh yeah, its going to cost $30 just for shipping on the elevon stock, but I think if we stock up on it (lame pun) and get a heap, it may be worth it.
Old Jul 04, 2005, 12:09 AM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,086 Posts
Make it just like a Wing Warrior Raider, those are the best I've personally seen so far

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2005, 12:13 AM
C'mon more Energy
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2005
3,217 Posts
Wowings sells elevon stocks they are cheep and freight only cost 10 bucks. They are 12mm thick /70mm long and 1 mm thick at the trailing edge. If its cut down to 38mm (1 and 1/2 inch) the stock will be 7 mm thick whick i think will be on the money.
What do you think?? I need some epp from them so i may as well get some elevons.
Old Jul 04, 2005, 08:25 AM
Sand it round!
Brisbane Australia
Joined Oct 2004
720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfimp
Make it just like a Wing Warrior Raider, those are the best I've personally seen so far

Steve
Are you saying not to waste my time and just buy a WWR?

The WWR looks so chunky from pics I have seen. I have never seen one fly but I want my design to be much faster than a normal combat wing as it's main first priority will be speed, and combat second.
Last edited by DennisRB; Jul 04, 2005 at 08:40 AM.
Old Jul 04, 2005, 08:39 AM
Sand it round!
Brisbane Australia
Joined Oct 2004
720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoopdown
Wowings sells elevon stocks they are cheep and freight only cost 10 bucks. They are 12mm thick /70mm long and 1 mm thick at the trailing edge. If its cut down to 38mm (1 and 1/2 inch) the stock will be 7 mm thick whick i think will be on the money.
What do you think?? I need some epp from them so i may as well get some elevons.
Its close, 6.35 is 1/4 on an inch.
Old Jul 04, 2005, 12:40 PM
Oceanside CA
Joined Dec 2004
4,046 Posts
You really don't want speed for combat... and believe me, the raider can get haulin' when you want it to.
Mr. Innocent is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Innocent
Old Jul 04, 2005, 06:28 PM
Sand it round!
Brisbane Australia
Joined Oct 2004
720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Innocent
You really don't want speed for combat... and believe me, the raider can get haulin' when you want it to.
I know, but if you had not noticed. I wan't this plane to 90% speed and only 10% combat.

How thick is the raider airfoil?
Old Jul 04, 2005, 10:37 PM
MINE!
Australia, VIC, Point Cook
Joined Jul 2003
3,186 Posts
Raiders are cool
www.slopefun.com has sold them locally in Brisbane for a while, price has been good too PM Mafu on this forum to see if he has any left?
Mick Molloy is offline Find More Posts by Mick Molloy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2005, 11:43 PM
Joined Mar 2005
94 Posts
all to complicated!
zagiqld is offline Find More Posts by zagiqld