HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2005, 08:24 AM
Mr. ExperiMENTAL
Joined Apr 2004
1,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoboG
If the weather holds out I am hoping to maiden the plane this Friday. I am also hoping to have a video camera there to video the flight. My true fear is that she will be more plane than I can handle and I at least want a good crash video.

It is not that I am planning on crashing the plane but donít want to be disappointed if I do so I prefer not to get my hopes up on it surviving.

Just get her high and practice up there that way you will have time. When I started flying real fast I only gunned it when I was going straight and level or into and out of moves. Big wide sweeping moves are best at first. If it gets squirley and hard to control it could be because you have too much speed or too little. Your AUW is pretty good at 22 oz should be fast. Also is that TP a 20c pack as you will get around 28amps on a 6X5.5 and around 22-25 on a 6X4 which are the ideal props with the 6X5.5 being your rocket prop.

My only thoughts on your future stryker builds are the adding of a cross CF beam from wingtip to wingtip, this greatly reduces the bowing effect and keeps the foam from getting weak from stress. I think your on the right track in wanting to keep everything cool. Keep us informed on what you come up with. Can't wait to see some video. Man I wish I had a camera.

Off topic.. any one know of a real affordable but decent digital video camera. I want one but I know some folks have found some good deals out there.

Tips
Wingtips24 is offline Find More Posts by Wingtips24
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2005, 11:56 AM
Foamsmithing forever!!
Sugar Grove, Il.
Joined Aug 2004
2,992 Posts
BoboG,

If you were driving a Corvette that could go 170 MPH, that wouldn't mean you would have to drive 170 MPH. Like my buddy Wing Tips said take it slow at 1st then try some high speed runs up high. This Stryler will be sooooo much faster than your stock set up. Just take baby steps, in no time you'll be flying with your hair on fire like the reat of us. Good Luck, Can't wait to see a video. Also when shooting video, shoot short ones. Maybe 30 seconds long. When I 1st started shooting video, I made them too big to post. I dont have the software or the knowledge to edit them, mayby you do. GO FOR IT!!!!

CTD
crash test dummy is offline Find More Posts by crash test dummy
Old Nov 15, 2005, 02:17 PM
I love the smell of 100LL
Joined Oct 2004
314 Posts
I have had great success using the Multipod 5-in-1. Works rather well on my modified "Eye in the Sky" Styker survey plane too.

http://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/show...0&ppuser=42716

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingtips24
J

Off topic.. any one know of a real affordable but decent digital video camera. I want one but I know some folks have found some good deals out there.
monitor is offline Find More Posts by monitor
Old Nov 15, 2005, 02:29 PM
Foamsmithing forever!!
Sugar Grove, Il.
Joined Aug 2004
2,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by monitor
I have had great success using the Multipod 5-in-1. Works rather well on my modified "Eye in the Sky" Styker survey plane too.

http://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/show...0&ppuser=42716
Nice videos.

CTD
Old Nov 15, 2005, 06:17 PM
non lottery winner
USA, PA, Levittown
Joined Oct 2005
234 Posts
monitor,
great vids,, keep those comming!
ltownflyer is offline Find More Posts by ltownflyer
Old Nov 15, 2005, 10:07 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarner
I've been flying Kokam 2000 mAh 3 cell Lipos on my brushless parkzone stryker for the last 8 months with a MEGA 16/15/4 (rated at 25 amp draw)and 6x5 prop. She's been a screamer. I used to get 6 minutes flight time at near full power. In the last 5 flights I can't even get full throttle for 10 seconds but can fly at 1/3 throttle for 7 minutes. Batteries are luke warm after flying. My lipos have about 150 cycles each. Is that about all I can expect on battery life and do Lipos die very quickly once they start to fade?
Welcome to lipo land where the advertised claims always are less than what you get in real life. If you were flying at WOT for 6 min (.1 Hr) at about 23A (drain according to MotoCalc with that prop) you were pulling out .1 Hr x 23A = 2.3 Ah or 2300 mAh out of a 2000 mAh pack. You were draining them dry or probably down to at least 3.0V/cell - hopefully not more.

The wise graybeards on the Batteries & Chargers forum are convinced that the cells will do what the sellers claim (like 20C output and charge at 1C) but only for about 50 cycles. Even Thunder Power and Kokam now acknowledge that if you want to have the packs last about 250 -300 flights you must pamper them; run them at no more than 80%C discharge rate, drain them down less than full capacity (3.0V/cell may be too low) and charge at no more than 75%C. You have run them hard and they are showing the results. Check your charger to see how much an empty pack will take in mAh. If it is less than 80% of the original value, its time to replace the packs.

The other thing it could be is that it is colder now than it was in the summer in most parts of the country, and lipo performance drops off quickly below 70F.

Quote:
Anything I can do to revive them?
No. If they test out as weak, buy new ones.

Quote:
Both had died at about the same life and at the same time? I was thinking may be the bearings may be going on my Mega 16/15/4 but it doesn't get very warm. What's the best way to trouble shoot? Any suggestions are welcome.
See above to check the cells. If you want to run the packs that hard, go up in size to get the 80% discharge rate closer to what you are drawing. I have had good luck with the PolyQuest 2600N (N for narrow) packs. They are heavier, but last longer if you have a heavy thumb.

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Nov 16, 2005, 12:04 AM
Flying with a "higher power"
Bakersfield, CA
Joined Dec 2004
432 Posts
Dying Lipo Batteries

FoamCrusher - Thanks for all of the detail. What you say makes a ton of sense to me and I'd guess the 8 months and +150 flights I got out of these $70 Kokams was pretty good considering how hard I pushed them this summer in +90 degree heat daily. I did set volatage cuttoff at 9 volts on my CC 25 amp ESC. I ordered a 3s TP 2100 mAh Pro Lite with balancer which delivers

2100 mAh, 3 cells (11.1V), 4-pin balancer connector
Rating: 15C (33.6A) continuous, 24C (50A) burst
Output: 11.1V Nominal, 2100mAh
Dimension: 34mm x 98mm x 20mm (138gr)

Can't wait to get her back up zipping around.
rarner is offline Find More Posts by rarner
Old Nov 17, 2005, 11:31 AM
Foamsmithing forever!!
Sugar Grove, Il.
Joined Aug 2004
2,992 Posts
Holy Cow!! Who turned off the heat? I went out to flog my Stryker this morning and it was 6 degrees with 13 MPH winds. Even a hat and gloves weren't enough. Flew 1 pack, turned into a human popcycle and went home. Last week it was in the 60's!! I really envy you guys in the milder climates.

rarner,

I just got 2 of the TP 2100 3 cell Pro Lites, you are going to like them. I'm running them at 22 AMPs static WOT in my Stryker and after a flight they come out just warm. Foam Crusher is rite, run em at 80% or less and you will get longer life out of them.

CTD
Old Nov 17, 2005, 12:03 PM
Mr. ExperiMENTAL
Joined Apr 2004
1,715 Posts
CTD,

6 deg g g gg g reess wow thats pretty chilly man yea I don't envy that at all.

I have just about finished my new wing. No name yet but it is a blue core wing. I am hoping it will be pretty fast running on my permax 450T and either a 2600 or 2200 pack. AUW should be under 20 oz. She is a 40 inch wing with a 19 1/2 inch chord and is about 1.5 inches thick at the thickest part. I am hoping for about 55-60mph. She is also a prototype so not a bullet but still lightweight fun. No pics yet but I'll get some

Tips
Wingtips24 is offline Find More Posts by Wingtips24
Old Nov 17, 2005, 07:00 PM
Foamsmithing forever!!
Sugar Grove, Il.
Joined Aug 2004
2,992 Posts
Wingtips24,

I'll be looking forward to seeing some pix of that project. 6 degrees was what the feels like temp was. Actual temp was in the balmy 20's. I went out at 4:30 PM to my private air field near work and flew a pack in the Stryker. The winds were under 5 MPH, much nicer! I'm having a hard time adjusting to my new JR 8103. I've been playing with the expo. I hope to get it dialed in soon. Everything just feels weird.

Check out this video I did of my buddys Ultimate. The camera man [me] has nerves of steel!!! That was a close one. I told him the next time he gets that close I'd reach out and grab it like King Kong, we do have fun!!

http://media.putfile.com/Ultimate1733

CTD
Old Nov 17, 2005, 07:08 PM
Flying with a "higher power"
Bakersfield, CA
Joined Dec 2004
432 Posts
CTD -
How long are your flights on the TP 2100 pro lite 3s? What prop and motor are you using?
rarner is offline Find More Posts by rarner
Old Nov 17, 2005, 07:27 PM
Joined Oct 2005
177 Posts
hey guys on the newest version ...where is the C of G...I read it here somewhere but don't remember where....Thanks
cnc custom is offline Find More Posts by cnc custom
Old Nov 17, 2005, 07:27 PM
Foamsmithing forever!!
Sugar Grove, Il.
Joined Aug 2004
2,992 Posts
rarner,

I havnt timed my flights but I think 8 to 10 min unless I'm flying WOT the whole flight then maybe 7 to 8 min. I'm running a Himax 2815/3000KV DD with a 5X3 ACP it pulls 22 AMPs at aprox 214 watts static. I want to time the flights but every time I fly I think of it after It is in the air already.

CTD
Old Nov 17, 2005, 07:31 PM
Foamsmithing forever!!
Sugar Grove, Il.
Joined Aug 2004
2,992 Posts
cnc custom,

I dont have the new fuse, however if you tell me what your set up is I might be able to help. What equipment are you running?

CTD
Old Nov 17, 2005, 07:33 PM
Joined Oct 2005
177 Posts
Mega 16/15/4
555 rec.
3s1p Kokam 2000 and MaxAmp 2100 3s1p
cc 35
What else?

are the fuses that much different that the CG is totally different?
cnc custom is offline Find More Posts by cnc custom
Last edited by cnc custom; Nov 17, 2005 at 07:38 PM.