Old May 13, 2006, 07:13 AM
Tree Fodder
Mount Holly Burlington, New Jersey, United States
Joined Sep 2004
986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visc
CTD

Is there a product out there that works well as a filler for foam???

Visc
Depends on what you're filling, but there are 3 good ones:

1) There are very light-weight spackles. "Patch-N-Paint" from Home Depot, and Red Devil brand makes one available elsewhere. It's feather light, great for filling shallow areas.

2) Gorilla Glue, or other-brand polyurethane glue. Pre-mix it with 25 to 30% water until it begins to foam. Pour off any excess water, coat the area to be filled, cover with plastic wrap, and WEIGHT IT DOWN TIGHTLY. It will expand many times original volume and fill gaps. Great for imbeddded things like motor mounts, and cf spars.

3) Spray foam "sealants" like "Dap-tex", several different kinds. Messy to work with though, but good for really large areas that need filling with something light-weight. Some are stiff, some remain flexible, read the can.

Hope that helps;

-MB
MumblinBerk is offline Find More Posts by MumblinBerk
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2006, 09:10 AM
UH-60 Blackhawk Mechanic
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Feb 2004
2,913 Posts
I am not sure of the C rating of the packs, I think there around 15 or 20, I'm pretty sure there 20. he is a dealer for alot of the battery pack distributers. he also is wondering about outrunners? any suggestions? if he was to get the warp4 or the 450th what ducted fan should he use? sorry for the novice questions he always comes to me needing help on what motor to use for what and all those technical questions but I'm a heli expert, not an airplane expert I appreciate the help guys. also, is there a formula out there I can apply towards airplanes so I can find out what motor with what prop will work for what size aircraft... thanks again guys.

Brandon
helifrek is offline Find More Posts by helifrek
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3D printing!
Old May 13, 2006, 09:42 AM
Joined Dec 2005
52 Posts
Ducted fan for the Warp motor including adapters :

http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=2795
krediax is offline Find More Posts by krediax
Old May 13, 2006, 10:11 AM
Foamsmithing forever!!
Sugar Grove, Il.
Joined Aug 2004
2,992 Posts
Visc,

MB answered your question, I can't think of any other fillers. I think he covered it pretty well. After running the short fins, I'd never go back to the stock ones.

CTD
crash test dummy is offline Find More Posts by crash test dummy
Old May 13, 2006, 10:55 AM
UH-60 Blackhawk Mechanic
Joined Feb 2004
2,913 Posts
that looks sweet. so with that ducted fan, a warp4 and a 3S lipo do you guys think this thing would perform as well as one with a prop? or would it be better with the warp4 and a prop? thanks.

Brandon
RCG Plus Member
Old May 13, 2006, 11:20 AM
Foamsmithing forever!!
Sugar Grove, Il.
Joined Aug 2004
2,992 Posts
Fans will not out perform a prop. At least not without a bushel basket of money to throw at motors and bastteries. One guy here put a 1000 Watt set up in his Stryker and it was fast, but it cost a ton of money to do, and the battery was so heavy he had to bungee launch it.

CTD
Old May 13, 2006, 02:25 PM
Joined Dec 2005
52 Posts
1000 Watt?!? ouch.. let's fly a month income..
Old May 13, 2006, 02:43 PM
Foamsmithing forever!!
Sugar Grove, Il.
Joined Aug 2004
2,992 Posts
There was a guy that my buddy saw at the air field who was running a plane [he didn't know what kind of plane it was.]with 6 EDF's putting out 1500 watts each. He was running 12S 7000 Mah packs!!!!! Talk about a months income!! That sounds more like a years income!!

CTD
Old May 13, 2006, 03:38 PM
Joined Dec 2005
52 Posts
To pay a year income for a plane you only can see after bungee 0,04 sec is pretty much.
Old May 13, 2006, 07:36 PM
UH-60 Blackhawk Mechanic
Joined Feb 2004
2,913 Posts
holy crap, thats crazy. I guess it would be better to stick a prop on for performance. thanks for the help. I think a warp4 with a what? 6X4 would work good on 3S? thanks again guys.

brandon
RCG Plus Member
Old May 14, 2006, 02:12 AM
It's a climb'n!
Gold Coast
Joined Nov 2005
51 Posts
MB

Thanx for the suggestions I'll be sure to check them out.

CTD

The stock fins are to flimsy and too high in profile for the 70mph+ versions.

Visc
Visc is offline Find More Posts by Visc
Old May 14, 2006, 02:28 AM
Joined Dec 2005
52 Posts
@Helifrek :

a APC 400 EP PROP 4.75x4.75 on a Hyperion SHORT 3.0mm Collet ADAPTER M5 will do
Old May 15, 2006, 07:52 AM
Too fast for you!!
Thief River Falls
Joined May 2005
230 Posts
Hey parkzonekid, I just realized that i have the heli version of the 450th, the one with the 3.2mm axle. That explains why i can never get any of my 3mm prop adapters on it. I have searched everywhere and i cant find a 3.2mm prop adapter. Any ideas?

Ohh, and about the qestion about motor and props. Usually manufacturors will have some info posted on how the motor will perform. Unfortuanetly until the manufactururs settle on a standard way of labeling mtors, every motor is going to be different and can get very confusing. In fact I dont even know how to buy the right motor.

But i do know about props. With props it is basicly the larger diameter: the more thrust, The larger pitch:the more speed. To get more speed you need high rpm and high pitch ex: 5x5@ 25000. For more thrust it is generally a lower rpm with a high diameter ex: 8x4 @15000. Or something like that. So if you want more thrust you get a prop with a larger diameter, BUT! if you want to keep the amps the same you have to get a smaller pitch. Vise versa to get more speed
stryker_111 is offline Find More Posts by stryker_111
Last edited by stryker_111; May 15, 2006 at 07:58 AM.
Old May 15, 2006, 08:35 AM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
This will fit.

Jim
BrunswickOH is offline Find More Posts by BrunswickOH
Old May 15, 2006, 12:34 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Mar 2006
113 Posts
[QUOTE=stryker_111] I have searched everywhere and i cant find a 3.2mm prop adapter. Any ideas?

rcworldofplanes.com
for $3.95, knurled to grab prop better
greykat is offline Find More Posts by greykat