HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 03, 2005, 08:58 PM
Gotta have more cowbell!!
Clawson, MI USA
Joined Sep 2002
2,169 Posts
windface, I'm sorry but I'm not 100% sure I understand your question. So I'll do my best. In the video in most of the passes the Mega powered plane was in front and traveling at an angle towards the camera giving it the appearance of being faster than mine that was traveling in a straight line across the field. You can see towards the end we finally got him to fly straighter, and in the second the last shot mine is the one that does the loop trying to get on line with my buddy's (he is not used to racing and doesn't yet know how tho slow down and line up I guess.) In the final shot mine was the one nearest the bottom of the screen and pulled into the vertical upline at the end. That all said, my motor is now faster than it was in that video, plus, my Stryker is not exactly in tip top shape as you can see from the pics above and in order to maintain level flight at high speed I need to hold heavy left and a little up or else it will bank hard right and nose into the dirt. This control deflection at high speed creates a lot of drag to the airframe, so even if it looks like he is beating me... just wait till I build a new (straight) Stryker.

Mike
MTwallet is offline Find More Posts by MTwallet
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2005, 12:50 AM
Clawson, MI USA
Joined Sep 2002
2,169 Posts
Well just about done with my latest Stryker. Just need to make a canopy for it and it's done. I call it "The Stryker with Blue Elevons and Asymmetric Paint Job"
Should be a fast one. We'll see in the next day or two.
Have a happy 4th everybody!!!

Mike
Last edited by MTwallet; Jul 04, 2005 at 12:56 AM.
Old Jul 04, 2005, 05:55 AM
San Juan Marin Intl, Puerto Rico
Joined Jul 2002
765 Posts
OK I see .excelent! good job Mike
windface is offline Find More Posts by windface
Old Jul 04, 2005, 08:58 AM
Registered Plane Abuser
Illinois
Joined Jul 2005
219 Posts
Newbie here. I've read through all 4 threads and have learned a lot. Been flying a stock Stryker for about 3 months and feel the need for speed. I have parts on order thanks to what I've learned from you guys.
I still need to get a good radio and find the choices to be a little overwhelming.
I'd like to get one that's first of all reliable and second has a few mixes so I can do the elevon adjustment thing at full throttle if I need to. Third would be the price, I can't spend 500 for an Evo so do any of you experienced guys have any suggestions?
DonJuan is offline Find More Posts by DonJuan
Old Jul 04, 2005, 09:13 AM
Clawson, MI USA
Joined Sep 2002
2,169 Posts
If you plan to stay in the hobby and advance to bigger more complex planes, I would go with a Futaba 9C. It will do just about anything you'll ever need it to do. The rule of thumb is to get the best radio you can afford. I don't know what your finances are but if you can at least afford the Hitec Optic 6, then that's not a bad choice either. Whatever you do make sure you get a TX that has dual rates and expo on all 3 main channels (aileron, elevator, and rudder, excluding throttle) if you get into 4+ channel planes (esp. 3D/pattern planes) down the road, you'll be happy to have expo on the rudder.

Mike
P.S. Welcome to RC Groups!!
Old Jul 04, 2005, 11:07 AM
Clawson, MI USA
Joined Sep 2002
2,169 Posts
I have added another little slpash of color in honor of today's Holiday, and since the maiden will take place today also, I have renamed her "Born on the 4th of July"

Mike
Old Jul 04, 2005, 12:35 PM
Flying Free
Utah
Joined Aug 2001
1,938 Posts
Stryker maiden today need setup info ASAP

I am throwing together my year old stryker from parts, so I can maiden it today.

I need to know what the throws on the elevons should be???

What holes are you guys using for the servo arm and the elevon control arm?

I was thinking closest hole on the servo arm and the furthest hole on the control arm.

Setup
Gen II fuse
Stock elevons, control arms, push rods, canopy & hatch, and fins.
HS 81MGs
Mega 15/16/4T
5.5x4.3 graupner cam prop
3S or 4S Tanic 2220
CC Phoenix 45
Hitec 555

Thanks,
Eric
erashby is offline Find More Posts by erashby
Old Jul 04, 2005, 01:19 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erashby
I need to know what the throws on the elevons should be??? What holes are you guys using for the servo arm and the elevon control arm?
erashby: I use the outermost hole on an extra long arm from ServoCity and the second from the top on the stock elevon arm, but then I have dual rates to make the controls less touchy for take offs and landings, and I have a Tx that has exponential on all channels ( both are adjustable on the fly from a knob). What you would use depends on how good a "touch" you have on the sticks and what you can electronically soften.

The elevon end is easier to adjust so start about 2nd from the top on the servo end and high on the elevon end and change as you like.
Quote:
Setup
Gen II fuse
Stock elevons, control arms, push rods, canopy & hatch, and fins.
HS 81MGs
Mega 15/16/4T
5.5x4.3 graupner cam prop
3S or 4S Tanic 2220
CC Phoenix 45
Hitec 555
Good set up. If your cells can stand the added current draw (your ESC certainly can), you may want to try an APC 6x4e or Aeronaut 6.5x4 (still more current). They are a little slower but give more thrust for climbing. I like the Aeronaut for flying when it is very windy.

FC
FoamCrusher is online now Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Jul 04, 2005, 02:04 PM
Clawson, MI USA
Joined Sep 2002
2,169 Posts
I generally go for the max amount of throw I can get. Then I tone down the sensitivity some with expo if needed (is usually needed).

Good luck on your maiden (or re-maiden as it could be said).
Mike
Old Jul 04, 2005, 03:04 PM
Build, Fly, Crash..Repeat
St. Peters, Mo. USA
Joined Mar 2005
975 Posts
Nice motor mount Shelby. Does your motor run any hotter enclosed like that? I just finished reconstruction of a stryker crash victim with some reinforcement mods. Three carbon fiber rods,one straight down the middlle from tail to nose and two at 45 deg angle out from motor mount area to center of wings then glassed motor mount area and entire cockpit area using carbon fiber. The motor mount area is a lot stronger without too much weight added.

I want to run a different motor than the Mega. What was that CDR you had in the video MTWallet? That sucker smoked!

PS>>> All aircraft deserve to be named, whether we like the name or not is preference.

PEACE
Wingman65 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman65
Old Jul 04, 2005, 06:49 PM
Foamsmithing forever!!
Sugar Grove, Il.
Joined Aug 2004
2,992 Posts
Wingman65,

My Stryker has the mod where I put the rods in the motor mount aera [2 rods] and 2 rods in the front going back along the air intakes. My brother crashed mine into the ground from 50 feet. She still flys today. Although I also glassed the front nose section and all around the battery compartment with .75 FG cloth and 2 houe epoxy. Even just the rods make it much stronger. When my Bro nosed it in the motor didn't come off!!!

CTD
crash test dummy is offline Find More Posts by crash test dummy
Old Jul 04, 2005, 07:43 PM
St. Peters, Mo. USA
Joined Mar 2005
975 Posts
Crash Test

Thanks for the crash test report I hope mine holds up as well. It doesn't seem to take much to damage the motor mount area. It is far too weak by design and a slight impact will change the motor angle but I think the carbon fiber rods will eliminate the problem.
Old Jul 04, 2005, 07:45 PM
Clawson, MI USA
Joined Sep 2002
2,169 Posts
Wingman, The CDR I have has been turned into a kit by the guy I bought the parts from. You can find the kit here.

Mike
Old Jul 04, 2005, 07:53 PM
Clawson, MI USA
Joined Sep 2002
2,169 Posts
I gave my new "Born on the 4th of July" Stryker it's namesake maiden this afternoon. I must say I did a fine job on this one. She tracks straight and true, is fast, for sure faster than the mega 4 turn Stryker (even without a canopy) on 3 cells and on 4 cells. Checking the motor out immediatly after landing... barely warm, 4 cell battery was purtty warm tho. Might have to recheck my current draw. Even with the horsepower she's got, at only 18.5 oz, she floats in for landings at my feet like my old faithful, beat up Stryker did. Another winner. See ya.

Mike
Old Jul 05, 2005, 10:21 AM
St. Peters, Mo. USA
Joined Mar 2005
975 Posts
Thanks MT, I found my new powerplant. Nice site, good prices

What battery pack are you running with that setup? I was thinking of running 2 TP 1320 packs in par so I can use them separately for other planes. One can go broke buying single purpose packs for every project.