HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2006, 05:42 PM
Foamsmithing forever!!
Sugar Grove, Il.
Joined Aug 2004
2,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman65
Has anyone here had any experience with the HET 3 or 2 turn motors. They post some impressive numbers and excellent price but I havn't heard any realworld feedback. They have a 700 Watt model that I've been thinking about.

CTD, can't wait to see your new bird. You can't go wrong with Yell/org as far as visual reference against a blue or gray sky.

Tony
My buddy is running a HET 2 wind motor in his F-18 from Warbirds RC. He is running it on 4 cells 3100Mah 20C packs in a EDF. It pulls 40 some amps [I don't recall exactly] but i do recall that on my watt meter it put out an actual 600 solid watts. I would think that motor would pull hugh AMPs with even a small prop on it, just think about it. He is pulling 40++ AMPs @ 600 Watts and it is only spinning a 55 mm fan not a 4,5,or 6 inch prop! You had better look at that motor a little closer B-4 you spend the cash. Maybe check in the power systems thread with some of the gurus there.

BTW, i'll post some pix of the paint soon as I get a little more done on her.

CTD
crash test dummy is offline Find More Posts by crash test dummy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2006, 06:23 PM
Too fast for you!!
Thief River Falls
Joined May 2005
230 Posts
Mt wallet: Thankyou for your explanation about KV i still dont quite understand it all but i will visit the power forums.

CTD: No i am not using the stock motor. I am using an elctrifly s-600 with an electrifly 25-AMP Esc. Goes pretty fast(then again, never had a brushless) my knees were knockin at 55.

Ill post a video of it tommarow morning

edit:
i almost forgot! About the skreeching. I think i fixed it now. I used WD-40 on the bushings and ran it for awhile. Then oiled up the whole thing with WD-40 again, dried it off, and ran it for awhile. Problem solved!
stryker_111 is offline Find More Posts by stryker_111
Old Feb 27, 2006, 06:57 PM
Foamsmithing forever!!
Sugar Grove, Il.
Joined Aug 2004
2,992 Posts
Stryker111

Get some lite oil on the bearings too. The WD-40 will wear off fast. Oil will hold up to the heat and friction much better. You can use 3 in 1 oil or sewing machine oil will work too. Keep the bearings oiled every 10 to 20 flights, all you need is a small dot/drop.

CTD
Old Feb 27, 2006, 07:29 PM
Gotta have more cowbell!!
Clawson, MI USA
Joined Sep 2002
2,169 Posts
WD-40 is great for degreasing stuff, getting sticker residue off, and making squeaks temporarily dissapear. But it is NOT a good oil to use on anything for lubrication. Especially bike chains or bearings/bushings of any kind. It is great at attracting and holding onto dirt and grime and prematurely wearing out said chains and bearings.

If I were you, I would clean that motor with some electric motor cleaner (brake cleaner works well for this too) and oil the bearings/bushings with some 3-in-1 oil like CTD said. 1 drop on each bearing should do the trick.

MT
MTwallet is offline Find More Posts by MTwallet
Old Feb 27, 2006, 07:46 PM
Build, Fly, Crash..Repeat
St. Peters, Mo. USA
Joined Mar 2005
974 Posts
Thnx CTD, Thats kind of what I was afraid of. I havn't seen many people using them in their setups. That Himax looks impressive for a higher kv inrunner, maybe that is the way to go or stick with the dependable Mega but in a 3 turn.
Wingman65 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman65
Old Feb 27, 2006, 07:50 PM
Foamsmithing forever!!
Sugar Grove, Il.
Joined Aug 2004
2,992 Posts
Hey MT,

I'm racking my brain on how to paint the top of my stryker. I got yellow on the whole top of the fuse. However I'm not sure what else to do with it, so my question is.......do you know any sites that show wing designs. I have googled a bunch of stuff and have come up empty. I may end up just leaving it yellow.

CTD
Old Feb 27, 2006, 07:58 PM
Foamsmithing forever!!
Sugar Grove, Il.
Joined Aug 2004
2,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman65
Thnx CTD, Thats kind of what I was afraid of. I havn't seen many people using them in their setups. That Himax looks impressive for a higher kv inrunner, maybe that is the way to go or stick with the dependable Mega but in a 3 turn.
The Himax 2815/2000 is the sister to the mega motor, however I think the Mega is a 2200KV. The himax is about 10 bucks less $. I live about 40 miles from Himax, so I can get fast service from them if needed. Plus Himax took a bunch of my stupid newby [no offence meant to the newbys here] phone calls and helped me to understand how these brushless systems work. That means a lot to me, they were there when i needed info and help. Just try to call Great Planes or some of the other big comapnies and ask the people who answer the phone ANY tech questions. It's like I'm calling them and speaking another language, LOL!! Most of them have'nt a clue. They are just order takers.

CTD
Old Feb 27, 2006, 08:08 PM
Gotta have more cowbell!!
Clawson, MI USA
Joined Sep 2002
2,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy
Hey MT,

I'm racking my brain on how to paint the top of my stryker. I got yellow on the whole top of the fuse. However I'm not sure what else to do with it, so my question is.......do you know any sites that show wing designs. I have googled a bunch of stuff and have come up empty. I may end up just leaving it yellow.

CTD
LOL!!! Why you askin ME?!?!
When it comes to paint schemes, I'm flippin retar... er.. umm, "mentally challenged" (politically correct ) I do the simplest paint jobs around on my planes if I paint them at all.

So, no. Sorry dude, can't help ya there.
but thanks for askin.

MT
MTwallet is offline Find More Posts by MTwallet
Old Feb 27, 2006, 08:13 PM
Foamsmithing forever!!
Sugar Grove, Il.
Joined Aug 2004
2,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwallet
LOL!!! Why you askin ME?!?!
When it comes to paint schemes, I'm flippin retar... er.. umm, "mentally challenged" (politically correct ) I do the simplest paint jobs around on my planes if I paint them at all.

So, no. Sorry dude, can't help ya there.
but thanks for askin.

MT
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!! Brainstorming? Anyone, Anyone, Buehler, Buhler!

CTD
Old Feb 27, 2006, 08:20 PM
Build, Fly, Crash..Repeat
St. Peters, Mo. USA
Joined Mar 2005
974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy
Hey MT,

CTD

That's what happens to me everytime. Try to dream up a real cool design...Nothin. End up doing the same thing.
Wingman65 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman65
Old Feb 27, 2006, 08:24 PM
Foamsmithing forever!!
Sugar Grove, Il.
Joined Aug 2004
2,992 Posts
Part of the trouble is when you try to look at real airplanes there aren't any wings out there except Stealth jets and they are all black. Thats why my google search was for not.

CTD
Old Feb 27, 2006, 09:34 PM
Mr. ExperiMENTAL
Joined Apr 2004
1,715 Posts
Hey guys news flash I was testing out my mega with a APC 6.5.5 vs APC 5X6.5 and I must say I think the 5X6.5 is faster and at less amps too. She really whines with that thing. CYD I told you i would test the two and I really think it's faster. Now you get better vertical with the 6X5.5 but high end speed goes to the 5X6.5. CTD you may like that with your higher kv motor too. The only place I have seen that has that size APC is Azzar. Don't have the exact address but I can look into that if anyone is interested.

EDIT: Just realized I forgot to say this is on 4s not 3s. On 3s the 6X5.5 may be better, havent tested that yet.

Tips
Wingtips24 is offline Find More Posts by Wingtips24
Last edited by Wingtips24; Feb 27, 2006 at 09:39 PM. Reason: more data
Old Feb 27, 2006, 09:45 PM
Foamsmithing forever!!
Sugar Grove, Il.
Joined Aug 2004
2,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingtips24
Hey guys news flash I was testing out my mega with a APC 6.5.5 vs APC 5X6.5 and I must say I think the 5X6.5 is faster and at less amps too. She really whines with that thing. CYD I told you i would test the two and I really think it's faster. Now you get better vertical with the 6X5.5 but high end speed goes to the 5X6.5. CTD you may like that with your higher kv motor too. The only place I have seen that has that size APC is Azzar. Don't have the exact address but I can look into that if anyone is interested.

Tips
I think my LHS can get me any size APC I want. I'll have to ask him. I'm running a 5X3 now pulling about 22 AMPs. Julian, if you page back you can see some viedos I posted from the other day. I have just tried a 10 cell pack of 2/3rds A cells from CBP and I'm very impressed with them. The cells are IB1200 Mah cells that can be pushed to 30+ AMPs burst. This AM I put a 6X4 MAS prop on the 3000 KV motor and MAN did she go fast and it would climb like a monkey!!! The vertical was un real and I was only pulling around 27 AMPs and about 270 watts. i may have found the sweet spot with this motor. It's rated at 30 AMPs @ 275 watts. I'm rite there!!

CTD
Old Feb 27, 2006, 10:12 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
3,962 Posts
A little cheaper alternative to the Mega is the Medusa Research 28-32-2400. It is the same physical size as the Mega and is 2400 Kv rather than the Mega /4's 2300 Kv - less than 5% hotter wind. You can even go a little hotter with the 28-32-2800 which is a little less than the Mega /3 at 3000 Kv. All this for $79.95.

See http://www.medusaproducts.com/motors/028.htm You can do a Google search to see who sells them.

Re: Motor Lube. Most motors have sealed bearings and should require no lubrication during the life of the motor. If yours is asking for oil, it has a broken seal, usually the result of running too hot. In that case, you must either oil it, replace the bearings, or toss the motor (if it is a cheap can motor). Brushless motors are worth enough that replacing the bearings is the best option.

If you must oil it, the guys are correct about using just a tiny amount of a light weight oil, however a liquid or spray silicone lubricant will last longer at the high temps you are asking that bearing to deal with. Even better would be a drop of synthetic motor oil like Mobile 1.

Re: Painting. Dark on the bottom - light on top is the way to go. After that just use your imagination or drop over to the wings forum and fine something you like there. The Unicorn threads are full of examples. Most small bands or color changes are invisible at more than 50 ft, so I go for simple designs with neon colors. With my older eyes, seeing it in the air is more important than how it looks standing still

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Feb 27, 2006, 10:33 PM
Foamsmithing forever!!
Sugar Grove, Il.
Joined Aug 2004
2,992 Posts
Thanks Foam, I don't know why I didn't think of looking in the wings forum. I must be tired. Here is a picture of the belly, so far the top is yellow.

CTD