That looks good man I like the colors.

Tips
Wingtips24 is offline Find More Posts by Wingtips24
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2005, 01:23 PM
It's me Glacier Girl
Joined Aug 2004
868 Posts
Hey anyone looking over the mag racks, look for this months Jet International, I saw a Stryker clone in it, turbine powered.
SHELBY1 is offline Find More Posts by SHELBY1
Old Dec 12, 2005, 02:07 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,554 Posts
OK, I'm reading all sorts of different setups and opinions. I'm about to pull the trigger on two power systems for Strykers, one for me and one for a friend. I need to know if I'll be safe. We already have Phoenix 25 controllers. We already have TP 3S 2100 battery packs. We want to buy Mega 16/15/4 motors and APC 6x4 props. Will this work well? Are our batteries and controllers up to the task?

TIA,

Wiz
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Dec 12, 2005, 02:29 PM
Mr. ExperiMENTAL
Joined Apr 2004
1,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wizynajtys
OK, I'm reading all sorts of different setups and opinions. I'm about to pull the trigger on two power systems for Strykers, one for me and one for a friend. I need to know if I'll be safe. We already have Phoenix 25 controllers. We already have TP 3S 2100 battery packs. We want to buy Mega 16/15/4 motors and APC 6x4 props. Will this work well? Are our batteries and controllers up to the task?

TIA,

Wiz
Well you could do it. You will probably be right at 25 amps but it is a CC so it can take it. Should be a decent set up to get you in the 50-60 mph range I would think. Are those 20C packs. I am assuming they are otherwise your packs will be a problem.

Tips
Old Dec 12, 2005, 02:44 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,554 Posts
That's the kind of info I was looking for. Motocalc tells me that the system would only draw 19 amps and would give a pitch speed of 86 mph. After reading some threads here I saw that those numbers looked in conflict with what others have posted.

Lets say I want the planes to reach speeds up into the low to mid 80s. What will I need to get me there?

Wiz
Old Dec 12, 2005, 02:53 PM
Mr. ExperiMENTAL
Joined Apr 2004
1,715 Posts
Quote:
That's the kind of info I was looking for. Motocalc tells me that the system would only draw 19 amps and would give a pitch speed of 86 mph. After reading some threads here I saw that those numbers looked in conflict with what others have posted.

Lets say I want the planes to reach speeds up into the low to mid 80s. What will I need to get me there?

Wiz
You need to raise your mah to above 2600 mah on a 20C pack so it can sustain your voltage and use a 6X5.5 APC E Prop. The difference between your 6X4 and the 6X5.5 is just not even fair! LOL with a 6X5.5 you will pull around 29amps and you really will actually get about 70-80mph. It is also way more powerful of a prop. In this class it is my favorite. You will notice a time shortening but so goes the price you pay for speed.

Tips
Old Dec 12, 2005, 02:54 PM
Mr. ExperiMENTAL
Joined Apr 2004
1,715 Posts
BTW. How experience are you. How fast have you flown before?

Tips
Old Dec 12, 2005, 03:01 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,554 Posts
Experience with fast planes...... Well, I've reciently found out that maybe my planes haven't been as fast as I once thought they were. Basically, I've been flying RC since 1984. The vast majority of my planes have been glow .40-.90 size sport planes, with a hand full of giant IMAC ships thrown in. Lately, I've switched to all electric and my focus has been with 3D and a little pattern flying.

Do you think I have enough experience for an 80 mph plane like this?

Wiz
Old Dec 12, 2005, 03:10 PM
Gotta have more cowbell!!
Clawson, MI USA
Joined Sep 2002
2,169 Posts
Quote:

TIA,

Wiz
Wiz, go ahead and pull the trigger. That setup will be just fine. The Gen2 2100's will be fine with the 6x4 prop (about 21A) and even a 6x5.5 (about 26A) and prolites will be even better. You're a smart guy, so you should know these are static numbers and will likely never see them that high in flight anyway.
You may not remember, but last year at the Grand Blanc dome I was doing inverted harriers around the dome with my Stryker as Chris Jarman was yelling... "Hey, that's NOT a 3D plane!" That's were I first met you, you were with some guy with an electric heli, I believe. Anyway, I was using the exact setup you described above.

Mike
MTwallet is offline Find More Posts by MTwallet
Old Dec 12, 2005, 03:14 PM
Mr. ExperiMENTAL
Joined Apr 2004
1,715 Posts
Giant Scale you say...hmmnn hey here is a link to a thread I just started a few days ago. I'm building a large scale acrobatic plane. Check it out: Feel free to post there on this I don't want to take away from the Stryker thread

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=450106&page=3

For smaller planes they will definitely seem fast and they are not as easy to fly as the larger ones so the same 60 mph can seem like a handful. The great thing about the Mega 4 turn is that it can take you to levels from 50mph to 160mph with the right set up. Have you flown your stryker stock yet or is this right out of the box first time on the plane. If you are really just putting this together I think I would suggest a larger 7X4 prop to help you get use to flying it and you will have plenty of power to get yourself out of harry situations. Then as you feel nore comfortable (bored) you can jump to the 6X4 which will be a big change. Then you can go to the 6X5.5. Reall it has to do with your comfort with wings. If you have not flown one it may be worth taking it a bit slower cause they are different. Not necessarilly harder just different and it takes a moment to get the hang of it. If you have just done a stock stryker the 6X4 is a nice change of pace. you will know on the first flight if it is to little a step. What is your experience with wings/stryker?

Tips
Old Dec 12, 2005, 03:44 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,554 Posts
Thanks, Mike.

I don't recal your Stryker at the GB dome. Any chance you'll bring it up to the GB dome this Thursday evening? I don't know if you know Ed Kincer or not, but he and I are looking to put a couple of these together for some high speed formation flying. We flew our Venus' in formation for a couple of seasons and are now looking for something new.

I'm going to go ahead and give the Mega 16/15/4 a try with what we've already got. If we need to upgrade to get the speed we want that we'll cross that bridge when it comes. It's probably a good thing to have the planes a little on the slow side in the beginning anyway.

Tips,

I'll check out your giant scale thread in a few minutes. As for flying wing experience, this plane will make my 4th. My fastest wing was a Saito 1.00 powered Delta Vortex. That wasn't a very fast plane, but that's the best I have to go on.

Wiz
Last edited by Mr. Wiz; Dec 12, 2005 at 04:23 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 03:54 PM
Mr. ExperiMENTAL
Joined Apr 2004
1,715 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, Mike.

I don't recal your Stryker at the GB dome. Any chance you'll bring it up to the GB dome this Thursday evening? I don't know if you know Ed Kincer or not, but he and I are looking to put a couple of these together for some high speed formation flying. We flew our Venus' in formation for a couple of seasons and are now looking for something new.

I'm going to go ahead and give the Mega 16/15/4 a try with what we've already got. If we need to upgrade to get the speed we want that will cross that bridge when it comes. It's probably a good thing to have the planes a little on the slow side in the beginning anyway.

Tips,

I'll check out your giant scale thread in a few minutes. As for flying wing experience, this plane will make my 4th. My fastest wing was a Saito 1.00 powered Delta Vortex. That wasn't a very fast plane, but that's the best I have to go on.

Wiz
Cool well I think getting used to a wing is half the issue so if you are comfortable with them them you have a leg up on the matter. Sounds like you have a decent amount of experience so you should be fine.

Tips
Old Dec 12, 2005, 06:50 PM
Foamsmithing forever!!
Sugar Grove, Il.
Joined Aug 2004
2,992 Posts
Hey MTwallet!!!

Havn't seen you here in a while, hope all is well with you and yours. I see you are still flogging the Stryker. Are you still running the CD motor? Are those motors kits only? have a great holiday season.

CTD
crash test dummy is offline Find More Posts by crash test dummy
Old Dec 12, 2005, 08:12 PM
Gotta have more cowbell!!
Clawson, MI USA
Joined Sep 2002
2,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy
Hey MTwallet!!!

Havn't seen you here in a while, hope all is well with you and yours. I see you are still flogging the Stryker. Are you still running the CD motor? Are those motors kits only? have a great holiday season.

CTD
Hey CTD, I'm having a battle with a cold right now but otherwise doing well, thanks.
This thread went from a "How far can you take it" to "Beginners central" thread for a while so I got a little bored with it, but I see you have stayed the course and helped many guys here. Nice goin. I still peek in here to see what's happening now and then though.
Yup, still running the CDR motor (same one), still rocks too. I need to build a new Stryker though, my current version is pretty beat up.
As far as I know, CD motor works is still only selling them as kits but they are not hard to build. I don't have ANY patience, and if I can do it, anybody can.
Merry Christmas to everyone!

MT
MTwallet is offline Find More Posts by MTwallet
Old Dec 12, 2005, 10:33 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingtips24
Well you could do it. You will probably be right at 25 amps but it is a CC so it can take it.
Just to be a little contrary....and to speak from some experience, that ESC is RIGHT at the edge with a 6x4 prop. I started out with a CC25 and the set up you describe, and it was fine for winter and spring, but then came summer with ambient temps in the 90's F. The ESC would reach its thermal limit a few minutes into the flight and cut out.

I tried adding cooling vents in the turtle deck and opening up a small vent in the nose foam, and it help a little, but the only real cure was to go to a CC35.

The CC35 is only a few more $ than the CC25 (try the used equipment board and do a "wanted" and you can probably get one a the price of a new CC25) and in that application it will never overheat.

(Those flying in England can ignore this entire post )

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher