HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2005, 07:04 PM
Gotta have more cowbell!!
Clawson, MI USA
Joined Sep 2002
2,169 Posts
CTD's setup is a good one and not a bad price either but you can still save some $$$ if you use a GWS Naro Rx (I know it's only single conversion but it's been working for me for a year now in my Strykers) and also take a look at winding your own cdrom motors. Look here for more on that. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389111
I think you could save another $75 with this setup.

Mike
MTwallet is offline Find More Posts by MTwallet
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2005, 09:41 PM
Foamsmithing forever!!
Sugar Grove, Il.
Joined Aug 2004
2,992 Posts
MT,

I didn't even think about the CD motors you have been playing with, good call. That would save a boat load of cash!!!

CTD
crash test dummy is offline Find More Posts by crash test dummy
Old Jul 21, 2005, 12:01 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,188 Posts
The Electron 6 and the 555 are good Rx's but more channels (and therefore larger) than you really need, unless you plan to put it in a full house glider or hot liner later. If you can find a used Berg DSP-4 or can wait until the new Castle Creations produced Berg 4L comes out, you will get a much much better Rx at a lower price. Right now, the Bergs have been out of production for about 6 months and are difficult to find, but once you own one you will never fly anything else because they are so glitch free.

Having taken more than one plane home in a bag because of either a glitch at the wrong time or someone turning on their Tx on my frequency, I would rather get the best Rx I can get, even if it costs a little more. My time spent on repairs is more than the added cost of a great Rx. YMMV

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Jul 21, 2005, 01:27 AM
Foamsmithing forever!!
Sugar Grove, Il.
Joined Aug 2004
2,992 Posts
Hey everyone,

I think Windface needs a groupe hug. After his maiden flight went bad, we havn't herd from him. I can't imagine what happened, I was looking forward to hearing about a Stryker with a fan @ 1000 watts.

Hey Wind........ya out there?

CTD
Old Jul 21, 2005, 01:32 AM
Foamsmithing forever!!
Sugar Grove, Il.
Joined Aug 2004
2,992 Posts
Bergs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamCrusher
The Electron 6 and the 555 are good Rx's but more channels (and therefore larger) than you really need, unless you plan to put it in a full house glider or hot liner later. If you can find a used Berg DSP-4 or can wait until the new Castle Creations produced Berg 4L comes out, you will get a much much better Rx at a lower price. Right now, the Bergs have been out of production for about 6 months and are difficult to find, but once you own one you will never fly anything else because they are so glitch free.

Having taken more than one plane home in a bag because of either a glitch at the wrong time or someone turning on their Tx on my frequency, I would rather get the best Rx I can get, even if it costs a little more. My time spent on repairs is more than the added cost of a great Rx. YMMV

FC
FoamCrusher,

How much do the bergs run? Do the Bergs protect you when someone switches on their transmitter and they are on the same freq? Or did I misunderstand?

CTD
Old Jul 21, 2005, 06:35 AM
Clawson, MI USA
Joined Sep 2002
2,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy
FoamCrusher,

How much do the bergs run? Do the Bergs protect you when someone switches on their transmitter and they are on the same freq? Or did I misunderstand?

CTD
I must admit that the Bergs are great Rx's but as far as protecting you from another Tx on the same freq. is concerned, the protection is there but it is marginal. Just ask my FFF 3D plane that went in last summer 'cause my buddy with a Hitec Eclipse (w/spectra) turned on to my freq by accident (no he didn't ask or announce his intentions) Luckily it just a FFF plane and nothing more. A word of warning too, DO NOT use a Berx Rx when using an external BEC (for 4 cell or greater operation)!!! I had a Berg 5 in my Seducton Freestyle that I converted from glow to electric and it went in and turned into toothpicks due to the Rx stopped responding to my inputs, I believe it was from some kind of interference from the UBEC. In my latest conversions, I have switched to an Electron 6 and no more problems.

Mike
Old Jul 21, 2005, 07:31 AM
Electric RC for Me
Alexandria, VA
Joined Jul 2005
254 Posts
Floor It

"Hair on Fire" Club

Thanks for the advice Crash and others!

Hmm, so what is a CDRom motor? Looks like one you build from parts you buy? Oh I see, you start with a CDRom motor and build it up...genious.

If so, where and what do you buy?

Please forgive me, I've only just returned to RC after 15 years, the changes are amazing. didn't know foam and electric motors had so much more power.

I'm gearing up to build a SuperXtra by 3Dfoamy now, but I also want a stryker for smaller space flying and...I like the looks of it and the speed....

Are Berg's compatable with JR TX?

How about the JR R61ouL Ultra Lite RX?

And least I forget, sorry Windface, That took some moxy to try. Bet it will work with a bit more enginering and test flights. Impressive attempt, don't give up.

Mike
MikeVictor is offline Find More Posts by MikeVictor
Last edited by MikeVictor; Jul 21, 2005 at 08:04 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 11:33 AM
Tree Fodder
Mount Holly Burlington, New Jersey, United States
Joined Sep 2004
986 Posts
Mike..

Here is all the info on the Berg RX units. They should be out "real soon now"

http://www.castlecreations.com/produ.../bergpage.html

Here is the link for the outstanding CDRom, custom made for the Stryker. Of course, you have to wind it, but for the price, you just can't beat it.

http://cdrworks.com/product_info.php...b7cf502e14aa17

-MB
MumblinBerk is offline Find More Posts by MumblinBerk
Old Jul 21, 2005, 12:45 PM
Electric RC for Me
Alexandria, VA
Joined Jul 2005
254 Posts
Well now look at that would ya

Very interesting motor, indeed.

It appears to have everything to build the motor from scratch and mount it on the plane.

Is that right? Or are there other parts,wires, etc needed to compete the build so all that is left is to plug it into the ESC and put on the prop?

Amazing,

Also, are the Berg receivers compatible with JR TX's?

Thanks much

Mike
Last edited by MikeVictor; Jul 21, 2005 at 12:56 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 01:37 PM
Tree Fodder
Mount Holly Burlington, New Jersey, United States
Joined Sep 2004
986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVictor
Also, are the Berg receivers compatible with JR TX's?

Thanks much

Mike
The Berg's aren't available yet. But your JR TX uses "Positive Shift". Whatever receiver you choose, make sure it is the Positive Shift flavor. You have to specify, when ordering.

Until the Bergs start shipping, I use the Electron 6. The glitch-risk isn't worth the few bucks saved on a cheap RX, for me.

As for using 3-cell Lipos on the stock motor, yeah, it will toast the motor more quickly, but adding a heat sink (GWS $2) works well to keep the temp down, add a little throttle management (yeah, right) and have a snoot full of fun while you're waiting for your brushless set-up to arrive.

(video coming shortly)

What the heck. At $10 bucks for the motor, buy TWO, and toast 'em!

If you want to take the time, a water break-in will also give the stock motor some extra life. But brushless is really the only way to go.

-MB
MumblinBerk is offline Find More Posts by MumblinBerk
Old Jul 21, 2005, 01:42 PM
Pro Bro #1008
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Sep 2003
4,676 Posts
ok..so now i want one of these..

buddy has a the fuse for almost nothing..NIP replacement part..what else do i need for the airframe..?

i have a 16/15/3 with a 5x5 CF, 3S, 4S, 5S, and 6S 2200's, and 2600's to use, phx HV45, but then i have to use a ubec or medusa..no biggie..the electron 6 donesn't draw much, neither do 81MG's..

so what do i need..from reading, so i "need" to make my own elevons?..

what do you guys suggest..?
birdie_in_texas is offline Find More Posts by birdie_in_texas
Old Jul 21, 2005, 01:58 PM
Electric RC for Me
Alexandria, VA
Joined Jul 2005
254 Posts
Is this the RX you're talking about MT?

http://www.hobbiesandbeyond.com/suns...l-Pins-JR.html

I have ordered one of your CDrom motor kits, need to send a check. I understand that the kit has everything in it I need to build the motor, from end to end. Is that right?

Can you recommend an ESC, battery & servos with high value/dollar/performance in mind? I currently have 2 TP 2100mah narrow battery packs in hand (for my SuperXtra).

Thanks MT , Mumblin and others!

"What the heck. At $10 bucks for the motor, buy TWO, and toast 'em!"

Mike
Last edited by MikeVictor; Jul 21, 2005 at 02:07 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 03:28 PM
Foamsmithing forever!!
Sugar Grove, Il.
Joined Aug 2004
2,992 Posts
Birdie in Texas,

You will need balsa elevons, mount them with CA hinges for best result.
Also stock or custom made vertical stabs. Thats about it for the air frame.

I'm running a Himax 2815/3000KV DD motor with a 5X3 ACP prop on 3 cell Lipo 2100 TP or 3 cell 2170 Apogee. I'm pulling about 22 AMPS at 200+ watts. She go's like a bat out of Hello!!!!!

Birdie, you will love this little foam plane. I flys so good it is almost boring....thats why we all souped it up so much. The 1st few flights will get your heart pumping double time. If you havn't flown something this fast before also bring a change of underware. Enjoy and good luck, shout out if you have any other questions.

CTD
Old Jul 21, 2005, 04:30 PM
Clawson, MI USA
Joined Sep 2002
2,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVictor
Is this the RX you're talking about MT?

http://www.hobbiesandbeyond.com/suns...l-Pins-JR.html

I have ordered one of your CDrom motor kits, need to send a check. I understand that the kit has everything in it I need to build the motor, from end to end. Is that right?

Can you recommend an ESC, battery & servos with high value/dollar/performance in mind? I currently have 2 TP 2100mah narrow battery packs in hand (for my SuperXtra).

Thanks MT , Mumblin and others!

"What the heck. At $10 bucks for the motor, buy TWO, and toast 'em!"
Mike
Nope. This one...http://www.hobbiesandbeyond.com/suns...TICAL-PIN.html
I just wanna get one thing straight... This is not MY motor kit, I do not sell them or get any kind of kickbacks from the sale of these kits (heck he doesn't even give me a discount on motors and parts) he just saw that I built a motor from his parts, saw a video of it that was posted and decided to make a kit for it. From what I gather, he has a pretty small business right now kinda new I guess, I just try to help him out when I can. If you order a kit now you might have to wait a while to get it, I believe he is out of town for a little while, but you can get parts to build one from http://www.gobrushless.com/ccp51/cgi-bin/cp-app.cgi and
http://www.strongrcmotors.com/ and
http://customcdr.com/
for esc... I use a CC Phx35 but a 25 will do fine. Iuse a 35 so I can run 4s packs without a ubec.
batteries... TP2100's or PQ2200's
servos... HS 55's, 56's, 81's all work well

Just one more note, you might find that your Superextra is more of a small field flyer than a brushless powered Stryker. Don't get me wrong, I have flown mine indoors at the local golf dome in the winter but when you have brushless power you'll WANT to use more field. Ya know what I mean?

Mike
Old Jul 21, 2005, 04:42 PM
Electric RC for Me
Alexandria, VA
Joined Jul 2005
254 Posts
Where are the Fuselages anyway

OK, I'm getting zero'd in more each time.

Now can you tell me where I can buy the stryker fuselag at a good price. Perhaps I should buy a couple of them. I know there are kits as well with everything but the electronics.

Any suggestions? I'm getting closer to placing some orders.

Mike