Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 27, 2005, 08:03 AM
It's me Glacier Girl
Joined Aug 2004
868 Posts
FLy200,
There is a wall so to speak on the Stryker. Around 125mph. The lift from the wing and drag get you to the point where you are putting in so much down elevon to compensate, that you cannot go any faster with the stock body.
Can you go faster? Sure. But not with a stock body.
Plus everything needs to be upgraded, to handle the stress imposed on it.
If you have a lot of time and $$$'s. Build a copy of "Slayer", my ultimate Stryker.
It has a fully semtrical wing vs flat bottom. Cut down wing tips and tails. Fully glassed and C/C reinforced fuselage. All seams like the nose to fuselage and canopy to fuselage are flush fit. HD control arms and servo arms, with 4/40 stainless control rods.Le's were knife sharp.
4 hinges per aileron. TE is concaved to cut down any turbulance to the LE of the elevons. The elevons are basswood and glassed. Custom built motor mount.Finish on it is slicker then snot.Anything that caused drag was removed or cut back, look at the intakes, they were cut back at 60 degrees to airflow. Even the nose was sharpened to help.
Was faster then a muther, M/C said 146+.
But I found out it was no fun. At those kinds of speeds, it was out of sight in no time, so there wasn't a lot of playing around with it. As a matter of fact I only flew it twice.
It was built to collect a $2.00 bet. And it did collect the money.
All done and said I had somewhere in a Thousand dollars invested in it. Plus about 6 months of my time.

As for power I ran a Mega 16/25/3, turning a Graupner Cam Speed 7x7. Hitec 555 Rx,
Hitec 81 MG servos, Ultimate Ubec, CC 60 Esc, and a custom PQ 6s4400 pack.

For me it's more fun to fly right up to the wall, speed wise. I only have $500.00 in a $20.00 fuselage, so if I thump it, I just grab another fuselage, and rebuild. 1 day down beats 6 months down.
SHELBY1 is offline Find More Posts by SHELBY1
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2005, 01:28 PM
Mega Demon Twin
Central USA
Joined Nov 2005
173 Posts
Shelby1, that really helps me. $1000 in a Stryker? Didn't know that was possible. I have to let you carry the trophy on this one. Ha!!!! Most impressive build and speeds though! I guess "Mission Accomplished" is in order then for all of us. Not many can say they bought a plane and maxed out it's limits of flight!

My Stryker isn't flying 100mph though, so I would still like to know if the 4s LiPo pack would really help it enough to warrant higher temps and less flying.

Honestly, I am foaming at the mouth to buy something else this week. Looking at turbines really has me hot to get one. But, I need to fly a pattern plane or 40% Edge or 40% Extra before I go to turbines LHS said.

I am frustrated because I just bought the newest Futaba 6ch EX TX/RX package with 4 servos, charger, and everything. For Turbines, I need the Futaba TZ 14ch unit which runs $2200.

Anyone want to buy my new Futaba RX/TX package? Only used twice. Paid $189 before tax I think.

Thanks. Fly200...
Fly200 is offline Find More Posts by Fly200
Old Nov 28, 2005, 03:06 PM
Foamsmithing forever!!
Sugar Grove, Il.
Joined Aug 2004
2,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHELBY1
FLy200,
There is a wall so to speak on the Stryker. Around 125mph. The lift from the wing and drag get you to the point where you are putting in so much down elevon to compensate, that you cannot go any faster with the stock body.
Can you go faster? Sure. But not with a stock body.
Plus everything needs to be upgraded, to handle the stress imposed on it.
If you have a lot of time and $$$'s. Build a copy of "Slayer", my ultimate Stryker.
It has a fully semtrical wing vs flat bottom. Cut down wing tips and tails. Fully glassed and C/C reinforced fuselage. All seams like the nose to fuselage and canopy to fuselage are flush fit. HD control arms and servo arms, with 4/40 stainless control rods.Le's were knife sharp.
4 hinges per aileron. TE is concaved to cut down any turbulance to the LE of the elevons. The elevons are basswood and glassed. Custom built motor mount.Finish on it is slicker then snot.Anything that caused drag was removed or cut back, look at the intakes, they were cut back at 60 degrees to airflow. Even the nose was sharpened to help.
Was faster then a muther, M/C said 146+.
But I found out it was no fun. At those kinds of speeds, it was out of sight in no time, so there wasn't a lot of playing around with it. As a matter of fact I only flew it twice.
It was built to collect a $2.00 bet. And it did collect the money.
All done and said I had somewhere in a Thousand dollars invested in it. Plus about 6 months of my time.

As for power I ran a Mega 16/25/3, turning a Graupner Cam Speed 7x7. Hitec 555 Rx,
Hitec 81 MG servos, Ultimate Ubec, CC 60 Esc, and a custom PQ 6s4400 pack.

For me it's more fun to fly right up to the wall, speed wise. I only have $500.00 in a $20.00 fuselage, so if I thump it, I just grab another fuselage, and rebuild. 1 day down beats 6 months down.
Shelby 1,

How did you make the stryker's wing semtrical? How did it change the way it flys?

CTD
crash test dummy is offline Find More Posts by crash test dummy
Old Nov 28, 2005, 06:43 PM
non lottery winner
USA, PA, Levittown
Joined Oct 2005
234 Posts
hello,
Anyone have any ideas on an onboard cammera for a striker?? I read about the multipod 5n1, but they are not sold anymore. Cheap is good, anything for sale?
ltf
ltownflyer is offline Find More Posts by ltownflyer
Old Nov 28, 2005, 11:16 PM
(My website goes here)
Purvis, Mississippi
Joined Sep 2005
977 Posts
I'm too lazy to read through all 4 of these threads so maybe someone can answer this for me......Is the stock Stryker LiPo Friendly?????? If so, what size pack is recommended for 20-30min flights?
johndreid is offline Find More Posts by johndreid
Old Nov 29, 2005, 05:25 AM
It's me Glacier Girl
Joined Aug 2004
868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndreid
I'm too lazy to read through all 4 of these threads so maybe someone can answer this for me......Is the stock Stryker LiPo Friendly?????? If so, what size pack is recommended for 20-30min flights?
The newest version is. Recommend battery is a 3s2100 pack.
You must use the lipo prop, if you go this route, otherwise you'll toast the motor.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 05:49 AM
It's me Glacier Girl
Joined Aug 2004
868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy
Shelby 1,

How did you make the stryker's wing semtrical? How did it change the way it flys?

CTD
I sliced a portion off the top of the wing, epoxied slice to the bottom. Then sanded it top and bottom to give the semetrical shape. Used a bread knife to make the slice. Hope Mrs. doesn't find out I used her knife.
Lost a lot of lift, which for speed was good. But just like a jet, it did not stay up in the air at slow speeds, had to be landed hot. Lost the Strykers ability to float at low speeds. But also lost the problem with unwanted lift the faster she went.
The big flat bottom wing works well at giving lift, too well for high speeds. It's not needed when you are really cranking along.
I compensated for the lack of lift with the power plant. With 50++ oz of thrust, it didn't need wings to fly. It was more of a guided missile.
I did a lot of researching on wings, and actually it was pretty simple.
With tons of thrust and speed, you really only need the wings and vertical stabilizers as a steering device. Anymore is just unwanted drag.
Launches were different, ever see a Stryker waddle. Small wings and tails caused a loss of control effectiveness at slow speeds. She would shake her tail back and forth until she started moving out. But once the speed got up the smaller surfaces bit in and control was back to near normal.
But like I said, she was no fun to fly for me. Turns were no where like the original, long slow turns, due to speed mods. Had to give up one thing to gain another.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 03:21 PM
USA-VA-CRO
Joined Aug 2004
84 Posts
Hey guys,

Does replacement body for Stryker comes with a nose piece?

Thanks

-ig
ignacj is offline Find More Posts by ignacj
Old Nov 29, 2005, 03:33 PM
Check my blog-updated
Columbus,Ohio
Joined Nov 2005
2,133 Posts
Ignacj, it comes with the nose
Mayday!Mayday! is offline Find More Posts by Mayday!Mayday!
Old Nov 29, 2005, 06:11 PM
(My website goes here)
Purvis, Mississippi
Joined Sep 2005
977 Posts
I have the first genration stryker....Could I use a 3s lipo with it?
johndreid is offline Find More Posts by johndreid
Old Nov 29, 2005, 06:27 PM
Mr. ExperiMENTAL
Joined Apr 2004
1,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndreid
I have the first genration stryker....Could I use a 3s lipo with it?
Yup!
Wingtips24 is offline Find More Posts by Wingtips24
Old Nov 29, 2005, 11:44 PM
WLV, CA
Joined Aug 2005
2,146 Posts
How do you do the jumper mod?
IH8VTEC is offline Find More Posts by IH8VTEC
Old Nov 30, 2005, 12:51 PM
If it flies do it!
Mount Vernon, WA
Joined Oct 2005
95 Posts
I just flew with a TP-4s and OMG. OMG. OMG. I cannot believe the difference. Now I will need to go out and buy at least 2 more. The 4s made a world of difference with my CC45/Mega 16/15/4. The Stryker seems to go 20 to 30% faster maybe more.

It was one hell of a flight, right up until the hell that was coming down so hard it covered the sound of the plane Yes I know better, but couldnt wait.
BoboG is offline Find More Posts by BoboG
Old Nov 30, 2005, 05:22 PM
Foamsmithing forever!!
Sugar Grove, Il.
Joined Aug 2004
2,992 Posts
BoboG,

Sounds like you had fun!! 4 S will really make it come alive, I might upgrade this spring. Too many things sucking the cash up rite now. Have fun and don't let your hair catch on fire!!

CTD
crash test dummy is offline Find More Posts by crash test dummy
Old Nov 30, 2005, 07:15 PM
anaheim, ca
Joined Apr 2005
2,542 Posts
ack... hate to post a simple, quick question... just too much info to wade through.

anyone using an AXI BL outrunner motor? if so, how did you mount it?
lowdive is offline Find More Posts by lowdive