SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 23, 2005, 12:07 AM
Foamsmithing forever!!
Sugar Grove, Il.
Joined Aug 2004
2,992 Posts
OOps i didnt see that was on 4S

[QUOTE=Tumbler]CTD,

The low amp draw on the 4 turn is with 3 cells though. On your Himaxx is that 4 cells??

I read last night that guys are using the 7x5 with the 15/15/4 and getting insane speeds on flying wings. Anyone try it?[/QUOTE

I'm running 3S in my Himax. I just put a 7X5 on her and it pulled 28 AMPs @260 Watts. If the weather permits I'll try the 6X5.5 and then the 7X5 on the second pack.

CTD
crash test dummy is offline Find More Posts by crash test dummy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2005, 12:54 AM
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Feb 2004
32 Posts
F-27 w/ canard finished!!!

Final setup:
5 HS-81MGs
2 HS-55s
Phoenix-35
UBEC 6V
3s lipo 3000Mah
Mega 16/15/5
7x6 Eprop
auw: 31 oz
Ultracote
decals scanned, blown up, then edited in Photoshop, printed on mailing labels
COplanegeek is offline Find More Posts by COplanegeek
Old Nov 23, 2005, 12:06 PM
Foamsmithing forever!!
Sugar Grove, Il.
Joined Aug 2004
2,992 Posts
Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by COplanegeek
Final setup:
5 HS-81MGs
2 HS-55s
Phoenix-35
UBEC 6V
3s lipo 3000Mah
Mega 16/15/5
7x6 Eprop
auw: 31 oz
Ultracote
decals scanned, blown up, then edited in Photoshop, printed on mailing labels
That is one sweet Stryker!! I hope you are going to get some video. Have you maidened her yet? Cant wait to hear how all those control surfaces work. Did you clearcoat the belly to protect all those cool bombs?

CTD
Old Nov 23, 2005, 12:11 PM
Holy ___ there's 2 of 'em
Spokane
Joined Aug 2005
487 Posts
CO- that's awesome!!

That canopy is one of the coolest I've seen- what's it from??

Can't wait to hear about flight results!
Phantom5.0 is offline Find More Posts by Phantom5.0
Old Nov 23, 2005, 12:11 PM
Mr. ExperiMENTAL
Joined Apr 2004
1,715 Posts
Very very nice man great job!

Tips
Wingtips24 is offline Find More Posts by Wingtips24
Old Nov 23, 2005, 12:30 PM
Joined Oct 2005
177 Posts
Yes........Very cool...let us know how it flys.....and yes video would be nice
cnc custom is offline Find More Posts by cnc custom
Old Nov 23, 2005, 01:54 PM
If it flies do it!
Mount Vernon, WA
Joined Oct 2005
95 Posts
Wow. Now that’s a Stryker.

I noticed you added the air intakes as I did and was wondering how you handled the air escaping from within the plane. I just put a bunch of holes in the bottom of the plane and out the back where the motor is. I will say I have yet to feel anything warm on the plane, you wouldn’t even know it had ran if it wasn’t for the dead battery.
BoboG is offline Find More Posts by BoboG
Old Nov 23, 2005, 04:07 PM
Norway
Joined Mar 2005
1,137 Posts
COplanegeek

That Stryker of yours look awesome. It will be very interesting to read your flight report on this one.
iceman3 is offline Find More Posts by iceman3
Old Nov 23, 2005, 04:50 PM
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Feb 2004
32 Posts
Thanks gang.

Let me try and cover a few things. The bombs were printed on clear Avery lables, but they are actually kind of foggy clear and when applied, they didn't show to well. I left the backing on them, which is white and then covered them in 2" strips of clear packing tape.

Have not maidened as of yet. Just finished it last weekend and UBEC is on it's way. auw included that as it is onlu 20 grams

I will video and post will take a little while although and here's why: The flap to canard mix is enabled via a switch over my throttle. I cannot adjust the Mix ratio of flaps to canard while in flight. I will need a few flights to get these numbers where I want. I eyeballed them initially, but I have a habbit over setting my throws too high - It's how I like it

The air inlets exhaust exits via the holes I cut out on the back hatch. If this turns out to be not enough, I use an IR gun-thing, not sure what called to measure temp of my stuff after flights, I will mod then. I know the setup pretty well, I use it in another plane I have and the ESC is completely encased in hot glue and gets no air and is fine. Lipos are my only concern and I am usually right around the 120 mark.

The canopy is actually the top 1/4 of a F-16 style generic canopy a local HS (credit to Blue Yonder in Aurora, CO) makes. I cut at least 3/4 of it off to get it to the size I need. It is polycarbonate so I painted the inside black and attached with epoxy to forward hatch and rare earth magnets to fuselage, visible in the pic with hit off.

Keep an eye out for video coming soon.
COplanegeek is offline Find More Posts by COplanegeek
Old Nov 23, 2005, 06:37 PM
Foamsmithing forever!!
Sugar Grove, Il.
Joined Aug 2004
2,992 Posts
The weather prevented me from test flying the stryker today. Winds were 18 to 36 MPH. The Stryker could fly in those winds but i wouldn't be able to tell how it preformed so I'll have to put off the test flight until Friday AM. The weather says 10 MPH winds Friday, we'll see.

I put the 7X5 prop back on the bench today it pulled a solid 30 AMPs @275 watts. Can't wait to see how it does in flight.

CTD
Last edited by crash test dummy; Nov 23, 2005 at 07:04 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 10:36 PM
Lincoln, Ca 95648
Joined Sep 2003
142 Posts
I have a question on setting up a Stryker. Forgive me if it has been answered earlier in the thread, I did not see any conclusive information any where. I am running a MPJet brushless motor on the plane and all Hitec and Futaba equipment. No Park Zone equipment at all. I keep reading about A and B settings, but nothing on the actual distance of the throws in each mode. I even checked the instruction manual for the plane and found no substantial information. I am curious on how much throw to give the elevons on the high/low settings in fractions of an inch from center. I have the low rate toned way down to 40% and it still looks like too much throw. On 100% the elevons look like air brakes. I just about got it ready to maiden so I am trying to get those fine touches in. Also, where should the elevons be at the neutral position? Should they be a bit up or even with the center line of the wing? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mark
modlflr is offline Find More Posts by modlflr
Old Nov 23, 2005, 10:51 PM
Joined Sep 2005
32 Posts
COplanegeek..hanging out to see the sucker fly. If it flys half as good as it looks it will live up to double my expectations
bird-0f-prey is offline Find More Posts by bird-0f-prey
Old Nov 23, 2005, 10:53 PM
Joined Oct 2005
177 Posts
modlflyr

I would say if you are a accomplished flyer run as much as you can on your high rate...this is what I do...then you can start at 40 - 50% for your low rate and adjust it acordingly.....I think i run 1/2" up and down maybe little more...if you are still learning start at 3/8" for your high and 1/4" on your low setting and try it.......hope this helps
Old Nov 23, 2005, 10:59 PM
Joined Oct 2005
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by modlflr
Also, where should the elevons be at the neutral position? Should they be a bit up or even with the center line of the wing? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mark
That depends on your CG....I was way nose heavy on my maiden flight so my elevons were actually up alittle for straight forward flight....now that I have set the CG better the elevons are almost straight..maybe ever so slightly up
Old Nov 24, 2005, 12:11 AM
Lincoln, Ca 95648
Joined Sep 2003
142 Posts
Thanks for the help. This gives me an idea where to start my settings at. I knew it needed some tweaking when %100 throw was at like 75 degrees or even more. Thanks again.

Mark
modlflr is offline Find More Posts by modlflr