HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2005, 08:03 PM
Joined Oct 2005
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoboG
It is a privately owned LHS, they donít have a web site or anything. They have a tendency to give me things close to their cost; I think it is because I am doing some cutting edge stuff as far as they are concerned or maybe it is the PC help I give them. I did find the TP2100-4SPL for $89.60 at
http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/mai...gid=tp&sort=PL which is only $9.00 more than what I am buying it for. It is the best I have found.

Thats a Good Price too........
cnc custom is offline Find More Posts by cnc custom
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2005, 08:23 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,944 Posts
Hey kids!

I haven't followed this thready for a while but been using the 4 turn HET on 4 cells and a 6x4...................whats the latest and great set up for more power.....motor, cells, prop??????

Thanks,

Brian
Tumbler is offline Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old Nov 21, 2005, 10:28 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,086 Posts
Mega 16/15/4 on 4S lipos....but you better use BIG ones because it is going to suck some electrons.

I used a /5 on 4S and it was FAST. Gave it up because it made the plane too heavy for my taste. YMMV.

BTW, I have TP Gen2, TP-ProLites, PolyQuest, MaxAmps, TrueRC and Kokam packs (plus a few knock-off Chinese packs). The TP have the best voltage under load, the Kokam's run cooler at the same load, but both are great cells. The TP's are a little more fragile to shock and puff for no reason more often, but you cannot beat that narrow form factor for many planes. I wish Kokam would make narrow packs in the 2100-2600 size.

The PQ 2600 narrow is a good pack, but does not hold its voltage as well as the TP/Kokams. The MaxAmps are much cheap, although as pointed out they are heavier and they are "second tier" AFAIAC.

All I buy now are TP-PL. More $$$ but you get what you pay for. Weight is performance. Two ounces doesn't sound like much, but at 32 oz of plane it is an increase of ~7% in AUW.

If you don't believe that is much, try taking whatever you fly now and add 7% of the AUW in lead and see what it does to how the plane flys. I bet you won't like it.

I'm with CTD, once you try lipos it is tough to go back to anything else. I still keep some 10-cell NiMH packs for my Unicorn wing, but it needs the extra weight to balance properly. Plus I can abuse the out of NiMH packs and they still hold up....even doing dumb stunts close to zero altitude.

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Nov 21, 2005, 10:59 PM
Joined Oct 2005
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamCrusher
Mega 16/15/4 on 4S lipos....but you better use BIG ones because it is going to suck some electrons.

I used a /5 on 4S and it was FAST. Gave it up because it made the plane too heavy for my taste. YMMV.

BTW, I have TP Gen2, TP-ProLites, PolyQuest, MaxAmps, TrueRC and Kokam packs (plus a few knock-off Chinese packs). The TP have the best voltage under load, the Kokam's run cooler at the same load, but both are great cells. The TP's are a little more fragile to shock and puff for no reason more often, but you cannot beat that narrow form factor for many planes. I wish Kokam would make narrow packs in the 2100-2600 size.

The PQ 2600 narrow is a good pack, but does not hold its voltage as well as the TP/Kokams. The MaxAmps are much cheap, although as pointed out they are heavier and they are "second tier" AFAIAC.

All I buy now are TP-PL. More $$$ but you get what you pay for. Weight is performance. Two ounces doesn't sound like much, but at 32 oz of plane it is an increase of ~7% in AUW.

If you don't believe that is much, try taking whatever you fly now and add 7% of the AUW in lead and see what it does to how the plane flys. I bet you won't like it.

I'm with CTD, once you try lipos it is tough to go back to anything else. I still keep some 10-cell NiMH packs for my Unicorn wing, but it needs the extra weight to balance properly. Plus I can abuse the out of NiMH packs and they still hold up....even doing dumb stunts close to zero altitude.

FC
I agree you do get what you pay for but I figure I saved at least 2 oz. by not glassing my fuse and only adding a CF rod at each TE...I flew my stryker with 10 cell nimh and didn't really tell the difference weight wise.........
cnc custom is offline Find More Posts by cnc custom
Old Nov 21, 2005, 11:08 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamCrusher

FC
So nothing better thN THE 16/15/4??? Thats pretty much what i am using...HET 4 turn is almost the same motor. What about the 16/25/3? any more performance.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 11:46 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler
So nothing better thN THE 16/15/4??? Thats pretty much what i am using...HET 4 turn is almost the same motor. What about the 16/25/3? any more performance.
I think ChuckD tried that and it was a rocket but very heavy. Try doing a search on this thread only for that motor.

Another combination that has been reported to do very well is the Mega /3 on 3S. That is/was the consensus choice for the Projeti - a much faster airframe, so it may be just wasting electrons heating up the air due to drag on a Stryker.

The power - speed issue is a mathematical one. To double the speed requires you square the power, even with an ideally slippery airframe, which the Stryker is not - too many bumps. At some point a larger motor needs heavier packs which requires more power, which makes the plane heavier, increasing the wing loading, which requires more power etc. Pretty soon, it takes rocket packs to launch it because the wing loading is so high.

The trick is to find the "right" combination of motor/pack size that works on a reasonable current so you can use reasonable packs (as in weight) that still gives that plane decent flying characteristics, acceptable duration and of course reasonable cost. Set ups that can do about 100 to 125 W/lb seem to do real well on the Stryker. There are lots of combinations that will do more than that, but those who have deep wallets and have tried numerous combinations keep coming back to the Mega /3, /4 or /5 on either 3S or 4S. {I am sure there are Hackers or Lehners that are ever so slightly more efficient than the Mega's, but at significantly increased cost. I learned racing sailboats that speed costs money. More speed costs cubic money and I cannot compete very well when racing checkbooks}

As lipo technology continues to improve, the ideal package will change as the packs get higher current limits at the same weight. If that keeps going up, the best motor may well change. Right now I would stick with one of those combinations or motors with roughly the same KV and weight and you will know you will have a fast plane that works.

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Nov 21, 2005, 11:53 PM
Foamsmithing forever!!
Sugar Grove, Il.
Joined Aug 2004
2,992 Posts
Tumbler, welcome back to the thread, long time no see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler
Brian,

I was running a 2815/3000 KV Himax with a 5X3 ACP on 3S 2100 TP PL. I dont think its any faster than the 16-15-4 Mega unless i put a 5X5 on her but then the AMP and watts go way above specs. I don't recall the exact #'s.

Tonight I installed my 2815/2000KV Himax [robbed the motor from my F-16], this motor is real sweet on a 6X5.5 ACP. We'll see how it preforms in the Stryker. The Stryker is a FAT PIGGIE compaired to the F-16. The weather says 14 MPH winds tomorrow, the Stryker is up to it but a clam day is better for judging speed. We'll see.

CTD
crash test dummy is offline Find More Posts by crash test dummy
Old Nov 22, 2005, 05:19 AM
It's me Glacier Girl
Joined Aug 2004
868 Posts
Thumper,
More thrust or speed?
16/15/4, 4s, APC 6x4 29.4 amps, 27.8 thrust, 91.2 prop speed
16/25/4, 4s, APC 8x6 28.4 amps, 33.3 thrust !, 82.8 prop speed
16/25/4, 4s, GCS 7x7 22.3 amps!, 23.4 thrust, 102.7 prop speed!
This was the motor Chuck recommended.
SHELBY1 is offline Find More Posts by SHELBY1
Old Nov 22, 2005, 01:07 PM
If it flies do it!
Mount Vernon, WA
Joined Oct 2005
95 Posts
I am running a Mega 16/15/4 and a CC 45. Currently I have a TP 2100 3 Cell and just ordered a TP 2100 4 Cell that should be in by weeks end.

I am looking for raw speed. My goal is to be the fastest thing on the field. I am real close to that now but there are a few people that are close to my speeds, gas of curse. I am currently running a APC 6x4 and have a APC 5x4 that I havenít used yet, but am willing to buy another if need be. Is the 6x4 the best prop for my setup or would something like a 6x5.5 or a 5x7 be better? What brand is recommended?
BoboG is offline Find More Posts by BoboG
Old Nov 22, 2005, 01:29 PM
Foamsmithing forever!!
Sugar Grove, Il.
Joined Aug 2004
2,992 Posts
Can that be rite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHELBY1
Thumper,
More thrust or speed?
Shelby1,

I thought the 16-15-4 W/ 6X4 prop pulled a low 19 to 20 AMPs. My 2815-2000KV which is the matck to the Mega just pulled 23 AMPs at 230 Watts with a 7X4 on her. I also run the 6X5.5 on that motor but don't recall the #s rite now.

BoboG,

The 5 inch wont be good for that motor stay with the 6 inch. I like the 6X5.5. I'm going to test the 7X4 soon, I'll let you know how it works out. The 7X4 won't be as fast as the 6X5.5 but the thrust will be awsome.

CTD
crash test dummy is offline Find More Posts by crash test dummy
Old Nov 22, 2005, 01:55 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHELBY1
Thumper,
More thrust or speed?
Thanks for those numbers....very good info!!

102.7 is the best we can get? I don't know a ton about this stuff but as I think that works..........prop speed is the speed the plane would be at zero drag???

Thanks,

Brian
Old Nov 22, 2005, 01:56 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy
Shelby1,

I thought the 16-15-4 W/ 6X4 prop pulled a low 19 to 20 AMPs. My 2815-2000KV which is the matck to the Mega just pulled 23 AMPs at 230 Watts with a 7X4 on her. I also run the 6X5.5 on that motor but don't recall the #s rite now.

BoboG,

The 5 inch wont be good for that motor stay with the 6 inch. I like the 6X5.5. I'm going to test the 7X4 soon, I'll let you know how it works out. The 7X4 won't be as fast as the 6X5.5 but the thrust will be awsome.

CTD
CTD,

The low amp draw on the 4 turn is with 3 cells though. On your Himaxx is that 4 cells??

I read last night that guys are using the 7x5 with the 15/15/4 and getting insane speeds on flying wings. Anyone try it?
Last edited by Tumbler; Nov 22, 2005 at 02:08 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 03:59 PM
It's me Glacier Girl
Joined Aug 2004
868 Posts
CTD,
Mega 16/15/4 is 2300 kv vs your 2000 kv. So it would run higher amps. Also different props, mfg wise, will affect also.

Tumbler,
I used kind of a reverse technology. Lower Kv motor on higher voltages, to spin a bigger prop for more thrust and similar speeds then the high kv 16/15/4.
Similar amp draw. I can vertical all day long, plus I can out pull the 15/4 on launch.
I reasoned the 15 to be a jet, will go fast but needs a bit to get there. The 25 has the same speed, but can be there long before the 15, because of the thrust.

I'm working on an EDF version now, same principal, recommended motor is around a 16/15/3 to spin the mini 480 fan. 45amps, need big parralled packs to run it.
I did my magic, 16/15/6. on 6s1320 packs, pulls 9 amps. Per M/C 3" intake and 2" exhaust, will be in the 140+ mph range.
SHELBY1 is offline Find More Posts by SHELBY1
Old Nov 22, 2005, 04:21 PM
Colorado
Joined Jul 2005
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoboG
I am running a Mega 16/15/4 and a CC 45. Currently I have a TP 2100 3 Cell and just ordered a TP 2100 4 Cell that should be in by weeks end.

I am looking for raw speed. My goal is to be the fastest thing on the field. I am real close to that now but there are a few people that are close to my speeds, gas of curse. I am currently running a APC 6x4 and have a APC 5x4 that I havenít used yet, but am willing to buy another if need be. Is the 6x4 the best prop for my setup or would something like a 6x5.5 or a 5x7 be better? What brand is recommended?

BoboG - I am currently running the 16/15/4 with an APC 6x5.5 prop (cc35 esc, tp3s2100pl). I have also run the APC 6x4 with that setup, and it just doesn't seem to have the "oomph" that the 6x5.5 has. In my opinion, the 6x5.5 is the perfect prop for the 16/15/4 ... a great balance of speed & vertical. Plus, it only pulls ~25A & produces about 260W of power. I really like this setup. With a 4s setup & a 6x5.5 prop, your Styker ought to scream

Flyboykg
FlyboyKG is offline Find More Posts by FlyboyKG
Old Nov 22, 2005, 05:06 PM
If it flies do it!
Mount Vernon, WA
Joined Oct 2005
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyboyKG
BoboG - I am currently running the 16/15/4 with an APC 6x5.5 prop (cc35 esc, tp3s2100pl). I have also run the APC 6x4 with that setup, and it just doesn't seem to have the "oomph" that the 6x5.5 has. In my opinion, the 6x5.5 is the perfect prop for the 16/15/4 ... a great balance of speed & vertical. Plus, it only pulls ~25A & produces about 260W of power. I really like this setup. With a 4s setup & a 6x5.5 prop, your Styker ought to scream

Flyboykg
Right on. Thanks for the help. It sounds like I am going to have to buy myself a prop when my 4s comes in, just to get the feel of real speed .

I will be honest as far as this plane goes it already beyond my abilities as a pilot. Let me put it this way; it is a good thing that I am on a very large field, and the other pilots know I am a beginner (flying for only about 3 months) and would prefer to only fly when no one else is in the air, so I wait for clear field . Everyone understands. I just like speed and I like making my eyes go buggy as well as everyone elseís I know I donít have to have to fly TWO but it sure is impressive at about 6 feet off the ground. Some of the gas boys are even considering going electric now Ha Ha He He .
BoboG is offline Find More Posts by BoboG