HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2005, 12:19 PM
If it flies do it!
Mount Vernon, WA
Joined Oct 2005
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayday!Mayday!
Could someone help me with a question, I am setting up a BL with an Align 400LF 2500kv motor, CC 35amp esc, 3s 2100 20c polyquest lipo and my 30 days on motocalc ran out. Could you tell me the best prop and amps/thrust this setup would give me? Also if anyone could give me a clue how they have or would mount this motor would be sweet. Thanks Mayday
I don’t know about the BEST way to mount the motor but here is what I did and it seemed to work pretty good.

I picked up a 2 inch piece of brass and built my own clamshell mount. I found that the clamshell mounts that were on the market would not give me the angle of attack I was looking for so I made a custom one. The brass was easy to bend around the motor for a nice tight fit. Then I sandwiched the foam with some light ply and covered it with .50 fiberglass. When I build my next one I am going to take a coke can and cut out the sides and use the thin aluminum in place of the ply, it should be lighter not to mention look better. I have attached photos to help. As I said it may not be the best way, but when I maddened the plane yesterday “Lawn Dart” sure was a nice flight.

I was thinking about starting a new thread and call it “How I built my Stryker (Lawn Dart)” and in it I would provide step by step instructions I used to build it with photos and video this way I wouldn’t trash up this thread. I would also provide why I did what I did and things I would do different.
BoboG is offline Find More Posts by BoboG
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2005, 01:00 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
3,960 Posts
Quote:
Could someone help me with a question, I am setting up a BL with an Align 400LF 2500kv motor, CC 35amp esc, 3s 2100 20c polyquest lipo and my 30 days on motocalc ran out. Could you tell me the best prop and amps/thrust this setup would give me? Also if anyone could give me a clue how they have or would mount this motor would be sweet. Thanks Mayday
Mayday:

I would be glad to, but the specs are not in MC. I Googled it but could only find a max wattage (290W). That would be about 26A with a 3S pack. There are some references in Power Systems forum that this motor has some "quality issues" and should not be run too close to the max as it tends to run hotter than the Megas.

I would just start with a 5" prop, do a test flight and land after 2 or 3 minutes of hard flying. If the motor is cool, go up to the 6x4.

No matter what MC says, I do this kind of testing the first few flights anyway.... just to be sure.

"Attention.....Attention. The Smoking Lamp is lit. The Smoking Lamp is lit. That is all."

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Nov 20, 2005, 07:04 PM
Guelph, Ontario Canada
Joined Sep 2004
652 Posts
Quote:
Here is the mount I used for my Align 400LF, it doesn't look great but it's strong and was easy to build:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...44#post4160744

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...69#post4172269

The mount outlasted the motor. It Align came apart in flight, I lost the outside casing. I suggest keep an eye on the outer casing, and use CA if looks like it's getting lose.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...34#post4297134
LLoo is offline Find More Posts by LLoo
Old Nov 20, 2005, 10:45 PM
Joined Oct 2005
177 Posts
4S1P lipos = Speed

While at the field today I had a Guy offer for me to try his 4S1P TP Prolite pack......Its looks as though now I should not have done it Because it was so Fast that my 3S packs feel like its doggy now......used the 6X5.5 prop ...this pack fit right in with no mods needed to the battery bay.....Don't tell my wife But looks like I am going to have to Buy a couple 4S packs now.....
cnc custom is offline Find More Posts by cnc custom
Old Nov 20, 2005, 11:01 PM
Foamsmithing forever!!
Sugar Grove, Il.
Joined Aug 2004
2,992 Posts
CNCCustom

Were you running a seperate bec?? You will need it with 4S Lipos. You also have to make sure your motor is rated to run on 4S.

CTD
crash test dummy is offline Find More Posts by crash test dummy
Old Nov 20, 2005, 11:24 PM
Joined Oct 2005
177 Posts
No separate BEC...my CC 35 is Rated to 4s lipos just set it to 12v cutoff...everyone told me at the field the Mega would handle it no problem and it did........barly warm

I was just told that they did hook up a separate BEC....My Buddies were working on it ...I just fly it.........
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy
CNCCustom

Were you running a seperate bec?? You will need it with 4S Lipos. You also have to make sure your motor is rated to run on 4S.

CTD
Last edited by cnc custom; Nov 20, 2005 at 11:30 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 12:02 AM
Foamsmithing forever!!
Sugar Grove, Il.
Joined Aug 2004
2,992 Posts
Cool I forgot which motor you were running. The mega is made for 4S, they are great motors.

CTD
Old Nov 21, 2005, 12:07 AM
If it flies do it!
Mount Vernon, WA
Joined Oct 2005
95 Posts
I have been thinking about going 4 cell Li-Po and was thinking the TP 2100mah 4s . Is this what you guys would recommend?

If I go with a 4 cell Li-Po I will need to buy a charger as well. Any recommendations as to what charger and where I can get it?

Want to add a little more:

16/15/4 Mega
CC 45
Electron 6 receiver

Do I need a seperate BEC or can I just use what I have?
Last edited by BoboG; Nov 21, 2005 at 12:20 AM.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 10:45 AM
Foamsmithing forever!!
Sugar Grove, Il.
Joined Aug 2004
2,992 Posts
BoboG,

I think that ESC will require a BEC. Check the spec sheet to be certian. I really like my Triton by Great Planes, they are aboutr 130 bucks or you could get a Poly 4 by GP it is only 100 bucks and you can charge up to 4 Lipos at 1 time.

CTD
Old Nov 21, 2005, 10:50 AM
Joined Oct 2005
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoboG
I have been thinking about going 4 cell Li-Po and was thinking the TP 2100mah 4s . Is this what you guys would recommend?

If I go with a 4 cell Li-Po I will need to buy a charger as well. Any recommendations as to what charger and where I can get it?

Want to add a little more:

16/15/4 Mega
CC 45
Electron 6 receiver

Do I need a seperate BEC or can I just use what I have?
I am pretty sure thats the one I used...the specs look right..I tell you what once you try it you will never want to go back to 3S......I am kinda kicking myself for trying it because now I am going to have to buy a plane for my 3S packs ...$$$... I am kinda Biased but the Triton is a Great Charger...
Old Nov 21, 2005, 11:26 AM
Joined Oct 2005
177 Posts
Do I need a seperate BEC or can I just use what I have?[/QUOTE]

My instructions for my CC 35 says it ok up to 12 cells....but from what I understand There have been glitching problems in the past using 4S so to be safe most disable the BEC by snipping (or Unplugging )the red wire going to the Reciever..you may then use a BEC...They are very small and not too heavy..

Its alot better than losing a Plane

Though at the same Time....it appears MTwallet does not run a separate BEC..but I would rather be safe than Sorry
Last edited by cnc custom; Nov 21, 2005 at 12:45 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 11:56 AM
If it flies do it!
Mount Vernon, WA
Joined Oct 2005
95 Posts
Please excuse my “dumbness”, is a separate BEC a battery or a piece of electronics I can buy. Either way can someone direct me to where I can find them?
Old Nov 21, 2005, 11:56 AM
Foamsmithing forever!!
Sugar Grove, Il.
Joined Aug 2004
2,992 Posts
cnc custom,

Thats how I feel about the 4 cell too. I wont even let myself try one cause I know what will happen next. HE HE!! I'm replacing my 2815/3000 Himax with a 2815/2000 Himax that was in my F-16, which I'm retiring for the winter season. Time for some Mods on the F-16. I need a better elevator on the F-16. The elevator was fluttering in a high speed dive Sunday morning, so full balsa elevators are in order. I cant wait to get this motor on my Stryker. I run a 6X5.5 prop on that motor and it is silly fast on 3 cells. The 6 inch prop will be nice for the winder days that are coming this winter. The 6 incher has nice thrust when you compair it to the 5X3 I run on the 3000KV motor.

CTD
Old Nov 21, 2005, 12:32 PM
Joined Oct 2005
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoboG
Please excuse my “dumbness”, is a separate BEC a battery or a piece of electronics I can buy. Either way can someone direct me to where I can find them?
here is the 1 that the guy let us use....worked great...Oh its the 6 volt aircraft version
http://www.koolflightsystems.com/ultimatebec.htm
Old Nov 21, 2005, 12:41 PM
Joined Oct 2005
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy
cnc custom,

Thats how I feel about the 4 cell too. I wont even let myself try one cause I know what will happen next. HE HE!! I'm replacing my 2815/3000 Himax with a 2815/2000 Himax that was in my F-16, which I'm retiring for the winter season. Time for some Mods on the F-16. I need a better elevator on the F-16. The elevator was fluttering in a high speed dive Sunday morning, so full balsa elevators are in order. I cant wait to get this motor on my Stryker. I run a 6X5.5 prop on that motor and it is silly fast on 3 cells. The 6 inch prop will be nice for the winder days that are coming this winter. The 6 incher has nice thrust when you compair it to the 5X3 I run on the 3000KV motor.

CTD

CTD.....I tell you what I have been out of this Hobby for about 3 yrs and just got back into it and wanted something to just (PLAY with) on the weekend...Thats when the Addiction Hit and Hit hard...I read all 3 of these Threads and alot more and figured the Mega 4 turn will be plenty for me for along time to come.....after the first flight I said to myself this is plenty Fast......Well I haven't even had my Stryker a week and I want more.....Thats the Addiction.....WOW........let us Know how The 2000 KV motor works out for you............