Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 02, 2005, 08:57 AM
United States, MN, St Paul
Joined Jun 2005
18 Posts
Tail boom slotting and push rods

Have a Bobolink and need advice about slotting the tail boom for the vertical stabilizer.

Safety? Tools? Surface preparation? Reinforcement after slotting? And while I'm at it... what about putting the the pushrods on the outside of the boom?
pgleich is offline Find More Posts by pgleich
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2005, 09:42 AM
Clearlake, CA. USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,020 Posts
Push Rods

Hi, Anywhere you make an opening in the CF Boom you weaken it...if you do wrap some nylon or thread around the boom just in front of and back of the openning and glue it with ca...you can take real fine sandpaper 320 and up and just break the glaze then wrap it and glue it....running the push rod sheaths down the boom on the outside is better as you don't have to cut the boom....just warp it every 3 inches or so with nylon thread and glue it with CA ....

Wylie S.
Wylie Shaw is offline Find More Posts by Wylie Shaw
Old Jul 03, 2005, 02:53 PM
London
Joined Apr 2004
699 Posts
I would recommend you do not slot the boom for the fin. Instead, cut two slots in the fin so that it can slot in to the boom. This way you do not weaken the boom and it is easier to get it vertcal IMO.

If you use bondable teflon outer tubing for your pushrods (and I think you should) then you should not wrap with nylon thread as you will crush the tube and add drag to the pushrod. It bonds very well with CA though.

Mike
MikeHLG is offline Find More Posts by MikeHLG
Old Jul 03, 2005, 03:48 PM
Joined May 2005
113 Posts
Mike,

what source do you use for teflon tubes.

thx,

mp
pitoniakmike is offline Find More Posts by pitoniakmike
Old Jul 03, 2005, 04:33 PM
London
Joined Apr 2004
699 Posts
Well. I live in the UK and get from http://dlg-supplies.co.uk/

I think you can get it form here http://www.tailboom.com/teflon.php in the States.

Mike
MikeHLG is offline Find More Posts by MikeHLG
Old Jul 07, 2005, 12:10 PM
United States, MN, St Paul
Joined Jun 2005
18 Posts
I appreciate all the ideas. I'll probably slot the boom although the slotless method is intriguing. The Bobolink boom is tapered and that makes me concerned that the stabilizer inside the boom will not bond as securely. Although the pushrod tubes are less attractive on the outside of the boom it seems like they can be attached more effectively reducing flex.
pgleich is offline Find More Posts by pgleich