HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 14, 2001, 08:32 AM
Joined Mar 2000
406 Posts
***Park Flyer Towing Micro Hand Launch Glider!***

Well, sound interesting? Let me know if you would like to see pics and hear about how its working out. I have just finished the glider, its a STAND OFF SCALE CESSNA CI-JET! Flying weight came out under 4oz. We (myself and flying buddy Bluebuck)plan on towing it with his Miss Bohemia. We'll take some pics if you guys would like to see it....Let me know, and wish us luck! Chris
Chris Rust is offline Find More Posts by Chris Rust
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2001, 08:41 AM
Bayville, New York
Joined Jun 2001
126 Posts
Chris,
Would love to see some pic's! Fingers crossed.
Cheers,
Brandon
Taniwha314 is offline Find More Posts by Taniwha314
Old Jun 14, 2001, 09:27 AM
mercer Island
Joined Apr 2001
120 Posts
same here, i really wanted on of those MHLG a while back. still think i'll buy one, they're so cheap.
cheapflyr is offline Find More Posts by cheapflyr
Old Jun 14, 2001, 10:14 AM
Bayville, New York
Joined Jun 2001
126 Posts
Hey guy's,
Where could I find one of those?
Cheers,
Brandon
Taniwha314 is offline Find More Posts by Taniwha314
Old Jun 14, 2001, 10:48 AM
Springfield, Missouri USA
Joined May 2001
54 Posts
I can't remember where he got it!?!?!? I do know that there are some nice balsa HLG's at http://www.radicalrc.com ... really cheap too.... most of them are made of balsa sheet so i'm not sure how easy it would be to put a radio system in them!
Catch Ya later,
Boone
BleuBuck is offline Find More Posts by BleuBuck
Old Jun 14, 2001, 11:17 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,464 Posts
Dymond out of Wisconsin is a Robbe dealer and in response to an e-mail I sent he advised that he will soon have the little Robbe foam scale glider that can be towed and flowen by our indoor electrics. He advised price of the Robbe kit at about $60.00. Michael Heer
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 14, 2001, 09:34 PM
Atlanta GA
Joined Mar 2001
59 Posts
I bought one of these "little uns" when I was stocking up on Wally Bombers. I put it together and did some glide testing and was not impressed. The is not enough vertical stab and the horizontal stab has too much " nose up " incidence. Plus, all that nose out in front of the cg is a destabilizing influence { per Stackhouse }.

I am going to use just the wings with maybe 6 or 8" of extra wing in the middle and try the Lite Stik motor & gb.

I have a DJ Aerotech Nymph MHLG that I would like to carry aloft by some means. It weighs 3.5 oz ready to fly.

Ray
Ray Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Ray Brooks
Old Jun 15, 2001, 12:00 AM
Joined Mar 2000
406 Posts
$60.00....NUTS! I got a whole $2.00 in my glider. Total for the complete system, radio/covering/servos/plane/pushrods....The works ready to fly....<Drum roll please>....$96.35 from first idea, to ready to go.

Here are the specs for the glider:

Wing Span: 25"
Wing Area: 0.5625sq.ft.
Flying weight: >4oz.
Fuse Length 18"
Wing Loading: 6.0-7.5oz.sq.ft.

Radio gear:

Hitec Focus II AM Tx
Hitec Shredder 2 channel AM MICRO RX
Hitec HS-55's(2)
Duracell Lithium 6 volt RX battery(28L)

The GLIDER is a Stand Way Off scale Cessna Ci-Jet from.....WAL-MART! Its $1.97. Looks nice with all the stickers and ready to go. I'll get some pics ASAP! The only other items need are some 1/16 balsa for the elevator and rudder, and 1/32 ply for the control horns. And white covering for hinges, tail feathers and bottom of the fuse for some added protection in case you happen to land gear up!

This has been a fun and fast project. I only hope its as much fun flying. BleuBuck can give you all the details on Miss Bohemia, she's his regular ride. Were going to tow from her, with the tow string attached at the rear wing bolt, about 20' long, with a #64 rubber band in the middle of the tow line. I have a tow hook on the nose of the Ci-Jet. Now....IF THE WIND WILL QUIT BLOWING, we'll be set! Wish us luck. Chris
Old Jun 15, 2001, 09:17 AM
Fayetteville,NC. America
Joined Jun 2001
37 Posts
Sounds cool to me,Hey BlueBuck can you email me and give me your advice on the Miss Bohemia? I'm a newbi and am thinking of getting one.
Thanks, Grizz.
Grizzly Greg is offline Find More Posts by Grizzly Greg
Old Jun 15, 2001, 10:01 AM
Joined Mar 2000
406 Posts
Well, we are just waiting for the wind to die off here! Had a storm come thru last night and postponed the Flight Testing on the MHLG! I'll do the testing today, and maybe try for some towing Sunday before work. We'll keep you posted....Chris

P.S....Finaly weight, 3.75oz. Wing loadiing, 6.5oz.sq.ft! Should FLY GREAT!
Old Jun 15, 2001, 11:31 AM
Springfield, Missouri USA
Joined May 2001
54 Posts
Hey Grizz... I sent you some mail!
Good luck with the flight testing Chris... let me know how it goes!
Boone
BleuBuck is offline Find More Posts by BleuBuck
Old Jun 15, 2001, 06:05 PM
Joined Mar 2000
406 Posts
How do you handle the cable release?
Jeff

Well.....Its got a hook mounted on the nose, and the tow line just slips on it. To release from it, you just give it some down and fly off it.

************** FLIGHT REPORT **************

Finally got time to take to the air! The Ci-Jet flies like.....well....A Ci-Jet! Handles nice at high speeds. Really likes to go fast! Just kinda mushes around when flying slow. Really would be a nice flyer for a slope. Now, if I just had a slope! All in all, I'm happy with it. Far as thermal flying, nah...Not going to happen with this plane. But I do think it would be alot of fun on a slope with some good wind. I'm in hill country, with lots of trees and don't have alot of good places for flying slopes. Should be alot of fun for towing with Miss B, if ole BleuBuck can stay ahead of me !! We'll keep you guys posted! BleuBuck, how is PEE WEE? Hope he got a clean bill of health at the Vet's. Later....Ace

Old Jun 16, 2001, 12:56 AM
"Simplify, then add lightness"
Raleigh,NC
Joined Nov 2000
2,701 Posts
How do you handle the cable release? Do you have a remote release, or do you just count on slowing the tow plane and slipping the tow cable off the hook?

Jeff
jeffs555 is offline Find More Posts by jeffs555
Old Jun 19, 2001, 10:04 PM
Joined Mar 2000
406 Posts
Well Guys....

This isn't dead yet, just slowed down alot! I flew this set-up for 2 days, and then retired it to the ceiling of my little boys room! It would be great for a slope, but I dont have one!

I have the plans blown up full size for the BUG from RCM June 2001, and ordered the carbon fiber spars and fuse boom today! I have started cutting out parts, and getting ready to start framing it. We'll be towing something, somehow....SOON! If I can keep ole BleuBuck from killing all his battery packs(but thats another story!! )I'll keep everyone posted to the progress! Should be flying the new glider soon.

As for the 25" Ci-Jet....Well, I guess it was worth the $2.00 bucks for the experience! I'd say the big one would fly better than this one. I'm not sure why, but it really would fly nice FAST! Slow down, and it just mushed. The wing loading was only 6.5oz. I would have thought that it would have been much better than what it was! I could get all of 3-5 second flights TOPS! Later......Chris