HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 22, 2002, 10:45 AM
Spittin' Sparx forever...
West Vancouver, BC
Joined Mar 2000
482 Posts
Halifax Bomber?

Does anyone know of a kit or plan available out there for a Halifax bomber? Thanks Guys...

DougB
DougB is offline Find More Posts by DougB
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2002, 11:55 AM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,475 Posts
Doug

I bought the Nexus 79'' Halifax plan plus their scale plan pack a few weeks back with a view of building a Halifax with four geared 480's. It needs changes to lighten the structure, but is a very good base to start from. There is a smaller control line model plan in their range if you want to go smaller.

I'm pretty sure there is no kit on the market.

http://www.nexusonline.com/pages/nexusdirect.cgi

PS - I even drove to an ex-Halifax base in the south of England when I was there 2 weeks back called Holmsley South to breath in the atmosphere !

Lots of luck

Chris
ChrisP is offline Find More Posts by ChrisP
Old Apr 22, 2002, 07:43 PM
West Vancouver, BC
Joined Mar 2000
482 Posts
Thanks Chris, I've passed it along to my buddy in Tasmania (really). He has a personal connection to the Halifax and is very interested in building one. Many Thanks,

DougB
Old Apr 22, 2002, 09:44 PM
Keremeos, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 1996
632 Posts
Good aircraft to model!

I spent a long time looking for the right multi project, and the Halibag is great: recognisable, slabsided, high tailplane, scale dihedral good, small nacelles, on and on. I have built a c/l (4 diesels) and an electric f/f (4 mini 6s) The c/l is no problem (good engines) but the f/f is yet untested, built off Aeromodeller scale plans. Now, of course, it is possible to r/c the beast, and I might do that; lots of wing area at 1/24th scale.
Terry Lyttle is offline Find More Posts by Terry Lyttle
Old Apr 23, 2002, 03:38 AM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,475 Posts
Doug

Pass this on as well..........

At the weekend I picked up a copy of the Osprey Combat Aircraft publication No. 14 called 'Halifax Squadrons of World War 2' written by John Lake. ISBN 1-85532-892-5.

Very highly recommended with 40 colour plates of all possible nose/tail/engine variants including both Tarrant Rushton and Holmsley South based Mark AV glider tugs, which is the direction I am drawn in. There are even 1/144 scale plans of all major variants included.

I tell you, when I was standing on the end of one of the derelict runways at Holmsley South I swear I could hear Merlins. Just imagine, they used to tow Horsa gliders with their Halibags from there (southern England) to Gibraltar ! And I have the nerve to complain about the poor comfort when I fly on package holidays.

If I can help your buddy more directly send me a private e-mail via Ezone.

Terry - All excellent reasons to build a Halifax - plus, if you have an aversion to making turrets, there's the Halton (freighter) version with no turrets at all and a neat pannier on the fuselage for the batteries !

All the best.

Chris
Last edited by ChrisP; Apr 23, 2002 at 04:48 AM.
Old Apr 23, 2002, 04:53 AM
NAS Whidbey Island/Oak Harbour, WA
Joined Jul 1999
335 Posts
I had the fortuitous pleasure of coming across the RCAF Memorial Aviation Museum in Trenton, Ontario while driving to visit relatives this past March. ~400 mi. east of Toronto and wary of impending snow squalls on my way back, i saw the sign post for it and had to find it.
It was a small but beautiful museum with a good selection of RCAF planes from WW2 forward. The displays & replicas inside were the best I've seen a long time and the best part was the Halifax under restoration in the back.

I don't recall its Sqdrn or # but it's crew had to bail over Norway after being stricken by AA; all survived the crash into a lake but only one, the tailgunner survived the frigid h2o in a dingy. The bird was pulled from the lake ~'92 and is being brought up to display quality. The surviving crewman has been a part of the project.

I was surprised to notice the high AoI of the wings and apparent "up-thrust" line of the engines when looking at the plane's profile. It must have flown w/a nose-down attitude.
Spaaro is offline Find More Posts by Spaaro
Old Apr 23, 2002, 05:05 AM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,475 Posts
Spaaro

Where else would you look other than : http://www.halibag.com/

A very appropriate site name !

And yep, you're so right about the thrust lines.

Chris
Old Apr 23, 2002, 10:39 AM
West Vancouver, BC
Joined Mar 2000
482 Posts
Hey Chris,

Thanks again,
I've passed along the link to my Tasmanian friend. You sure came up with some great info, thanks again...

DougB
Old Apr 23, 2002, 09:03 PM
Keremeos, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 1996
632 Posts
Halibag

Yeah, there was a documentary on that resto, I only saw some of it, but I also heard (rumour?) that it was destroyed in a fire; anybody in the TO area know about this?

I used the Halton version for my f/f version to get rid of the turret drag until I got it sorted out; installing turrets would be fairly simple, but I still plan to use the markings for the Berlin Airlift aircraft that I have. Next is a PSS at about 8', just for the hell of it!!!
Terry Lyttle is offline Find More Posts by Terry Lyttle