SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 22, 2002, 08:40 AM
Granbury TX
Joined Apr 2002
9 Posts
New indoor flyer need info on the pico stick!! Or Tiger Moth!!!!

I am 15 years old and have had a firebird, a skytek and currintly have a firebird XL. I am going to get a pico stick and start flying indoors, and i need help on what the best baterypack, motor,servose, ect if u have any thing that mite be usful to upgrade it or make it fly better than tell me.
Derek.C is offline Find More Posts by Derek.C
Last edited by Derek.C; Apr 22, 2002 at 11:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2002, 09:11 AM
Manitoba, Canada
Joined Jun 2001
286 Posts
Hi Derek, there is a ton of info available on the lite stik...just do a search.

My advice would be to replace as much of the plastic as you can with balsa and bamboo skewers and to put in some polyhedral about 4 inches from the wing tips with a heat gun. Try to get the weight under 7 oz.

Also if you can put in maximum throws and dial in some expo on your radio to tame it down a bit.

This combo should turn on a dime and work really well indoors.

Harry....
Harry Mueller is offline Find More Posts by Harry Mueller
Old Apr 22, 2002, 09:45 AM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,430 Posts
You might think about getting the Tiger Moth instead. I've flown both a Lite Stick and a TM indoors and the TM flies slower. Its higher wing area is what does the trick. The TM seems to becoming the GWS indoor plane of choice for many people.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Apr 22, 2002, 11:14 AM
Granbury TX
Joined Apr 2002
9 Posts
Thanks alot every 1 il do some reaserch on the Tiger Moth and see whitch 1 i like better!
Old Apr 22, 2002, 03:41 PM
United States, OH, Dublin
Joined Sep 2001
453 Posts
hey Derek,
check out my website at www.kpohlmeyer.com i have a lot of info on the litestick/pico stick and some videos.

-keith
pohlmeyr is offline Find More Posts by pohlmeyr
Old Apr 22, 2002, 04:48 PM
Pro Bro #495
Farmington NM
Joined Apr 2002
3,193 Posts
both the tiger moth and pico stick work well on rechargeable 9 volt batteries. I like sanyos if you can find them but other people have succesfully used rayovac. Incase you didn't know you can remove the casing and there will be a 6 cell 120 mah pack inside. the sanyos use a plastic casing so you don't save much weight but if it has a metal casing it will save a little weight. only 10 bucks for a 6 cell isn't bad
fwilly is offline Find More Posts by fwilly
Old Apr 23, 2002, 12:00 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,799 Posts
Derek, Welcome to the EZone!!

There is a ton of info, but it is in the Parkflyer forum more than the indoor area.

The LS fys great indoors but you must keep it lite! Built as stock with HS-50 servos and 7x300 nimh cells you can get 10 minute flights.

Cut the tail surfaces loose and use tape for a hinge. Use smaller wire for the controls and glue the control horn on. Add a little downthrust and go to an APC prop.

I fly 2 and they are great!!
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Apr 23, 2002, 07:03 AM
HoleDigger
Darwin
Joined Oct 2001
151 Posts
fred,

what size apc prop
firstdegree is offline Find More Posts by firstdegree
Old Apr 23, 2002, 07:21 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
If you're new, or just not good at greasing the landings, use a prop saver: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=prop+saver

There are some pictures of the easy way to do the polyhedral and some detailed shots of other mods on my picture site: http://photos.yahoo.com/genebond

Use the stock 10x4.7 prop indoors, use a 9x7 outdoors, or APC 10x4.7 or 9x6 slowfly.

Make sure to get plenty of dihedral in the Stik's wing, wether using the string pull-up, or polyhedral, so it will turn. The stock setup has way too much delay for my liking.

The fuselage version seems to have enough dihedral from the start, but is much heavier and a little more expensive. The TigerMoth is more expensive and more complicated to build. The PicoStik / LiteStik is whatever *you* decide to make it. The stock-built plane will fly, but it is only scratching the surface of it's capabilities...
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Apr 23, 2002, 07:31 AM
HoleDigger
Darwin
Joined Oct 2001
151 Posts
thanks for that info on the apc prop's genebond
firstdegree is offline Find More Posts by firstdegree
Old Apr 23, 2002, 01:28 PM
Granbury TX
Joined Apr 2002
9 Posts
ok, thanks allot for all the info, I think il go with the lie stick.