HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 30, 2005, 05:03 PM
Joined Oct 2004
3 Posts
Retracts for the Top Flite Contender?

Anyone ever put retracts on a Top Flite Contender? Sounds like it could work but I've never built one, so I don't know what the fit for all of the gear would be like. Any help would be appreciated. I'm thinking about buying one. It looks like a good flier. Thanks-Jeff.
Austex is offline Find More Posts by Austex
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2005, 10:40 PM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,276 Posts
Austex, Welcome to "The Ezone"!

Have you got a link or a picture you could share of a Contender?
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Jul 01, 2005, 08:09 AM
Belvidere, Northern Illinois
Joined Jul 2002
20 Posts
Retracts for the Top Flite Contender?

I built one of these from an original kit that I got back in the day and made it into a taildragger with a set of mechanical retracts. One (of several, see below ) mistake(s) I made was in not having the centerline of the wheel axle even with the leading edge of the wing which caused a fair number of nose-overs until I added shims to the mounting rails to fix the oversight. IIRC the wing was more than able to handle the depth of the retracts and then some; I'd imagine the newer version would do the same as long as it's still got that nice fat wing; this was one of the better flying planes I've had until I got too low and waaaaay too brave in a knife edge..................... which is something this bird REALLY didn't want to do unless forced to ......................... And I do believe we all know what that led to . I've been thinking of building another one as an electric for whatever it's worth. LRV

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHU90&P=7
mustang11 is offline Find More Posts by mustang11
Last edited by mustang11; Jul 01, 2005 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Add hyperlink
Old Jul 01, 2005, 11:34 AM
Joined Oct 2004
3 Posts
Contender pics

Here's the link to Top Flite's website. Good pics of the Contender here. Thanks for the info.

http://www.top-flite.com/airplanes/topa0210.html
Austex is offline Find More Posts by Austex
Old Jul 01, 2005, 12:16 PM
The high desert of Southern California
Joined Jul 2002
1,154 Posts
I also built the original with retracts. I did a tri gear setup so the space for fuel tank is limited I used some cheap no name aluminum retracts on the mains and an old Goldberg nose wheel.

I added a ply rib doubler to the out side of the ribs where the hard wood rails mounted. Here are the two mistakes I made. The center line of the main wheels did not match perfectly so it would pull just a tiny bit just before take off. The other mistake I made is I mounted the raills to the ribs before I made sure the mounting tabs on the retract bodies were even. I would mount the hard wood rials to the retracts, then glue the rial/retract assebly in place. This will keep the twisting of the retract to a minimum when you tighten the mounting bolts down.

I used balsa for the well where the wheel fit. I wrapped an aluminum can with wet balsa to get the shape just right.

Dru.

P.S. It took longer to mount, setup, adjust the retracts then it did to build the fuse, tail, and wing.
blvdbuzzard is offline Find More Posts by blvdbuzzard
Old Jul 02, 2005, 08:29 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blvdbuzzard
I also built the original with retracts. ....

P.S. It took longer to mount, setup, adjust the retracts then it did to build the fuse, tail, and wing.
I've found that when adding a set of retracts to just about any plane the build/fiddle time goes way up.

BTW Blvdbuzzard, Welcome to "The Ezone"! (After 3 yrs)
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG