HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2005, 10:05 PM
Kansas
Joined Sep 2003
1,291 Posts
Fly boy look up the difference between a balancer and a charger. I do not think any balancer in the world will charge a battery. I keep reading the word "charge" in the quote you pulled up never once saw the word "balance"

Brian
RC Toys USA is offline Find More Posts by RC Toys USA
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2005, 11:23 PM
Lifetime Member
Providence, RI, USA
Joined Dec 1996
2,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD Blakeslee
Right on, John.

A prototype, using Multiplex six-pole plugs, has been built:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236246

That thread is also referenced in post #6.

- RD
Yes, I had seen this thread awhile back and hoped that this would prompt a Lipo manufacturer to build packs like this.... still waiting...

John
JohnM is offline Find More Posts by JohnM
Old Jul 02, 2005, 07:10 AM
Joined Jan 2002
6,586 Posts
A tip: If you've got a pack charged and you're not going to fly it right away, leave the parallel charging connector (Figure 3.) on it. That keeps all the cells at equal voltage for connection in series before flying.

But leave the cells disconnected from time to time, to check for cell(s) which have microshorts that are getting too large to be safe. Such cells will be at significantly lower voltage after a day or two. In other words, they will self-discharge faster.

- RD
RD Blakeslee is offline Find More Posts by RD Blakeslee
Last edited by RD Blakeslee; Jul 04, 2005 at 06:48 AM. Reason: clarity
Old Jul 04, 2005, 06:45 AM
Joined Jan 2002
6,586 Posts
In the series-charged pack balancer threads, various interpretations of what the balancer's LEDs are doing are discussed to find a weak cell in a pack.

With XS series-discharged packs, the voltage of individual cells can be measured AFTER DISCHARGE. A bad cell will be significantly lower in voltage.

- RD
Old Jul 04, 2005, 07:33 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,512 Posts
Each cells voltage can also be measured in a series wire battery by way of the taps/connector. I find it much simplier to just plug in the TP-205 and let it do all of the work. I only have to make one connection and it takes a grand total of 5 seconds to determine the battery's overall condition as to imbalance or adnormal low voltage cells.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jul 06, 2005, 01:19 AM
WORK!
Joined Jul 2002
407 Posts
RD,
Maybe someone is listening to you! Here is a new $60 parallel charger: http://www.amondotech.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=849. I've listed a subset of the product description.
Howard
hweird is offline Find More Posts by hweird
Old Jul 06, 2005, 01:52 AM
Cogito ergo fly!
Kansas City, MO
Joined Jul 2004
266 Posts
Sheesh, you guys are hard to keep up with! I spend most my time reading and not enough building!

RD - I really like your approach, mon. Your solution(s) look realistic and easy to understand. I am going to give it a try. Don't give up!

Tom
TubaTom99 is offline Find More Posts by TubaTom99
Old Jul 06, 2005, 08:23 AM
Joined Jan 2002
6,586 Posts
Yo, Howard -

Looks like the common ground problem has been solved and the cells can be permanently connected in series for discharging through the pack's ESC plug, while the pack's charging input plug can remain permanently attached to the pack.

Good news! Simple, therefore inexpensive. Reverse polarization protection. Others will follow, I'm sure.

- RD
Old Aug 27, 2005, 08:23 AM
Mesa, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,848 Posts
I've converted my cells to the single-cell form using 3.5mm bullet connectors from Electrifly, thought you all might like to see a picture - shows a single cell, I used male on the batt pos and female on the batt neg, my parallel adapter which will handle four cells, and a 3C pack that's set up for the nose of my zagi wing.
bsoder is offline Find More Posts by bsoder
Old Aug 27, 2005, 08:42 AM
Baptised Heathen
Bundaberg, Qld, Australia
Joined Jun 2002
1,365 Posts
I have been thinking about charging packs in a similar manner to this. However, what I was going to do was to put taps on each cell and bring the taps to one connector. The cells stay connected in series at all times but are charged in parallel. This way you have just two sets of connectors from the pack, one to charge and one to supply power. I haven't done this yet but it should work. What are your thoughts on this?
batman is offline Find More Posts by batman
Old Aug 27, 2005, 11:30 AM
Mesa, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,848 Posts
you can't do that - I asked about it before, if you draw it out it's obvious. you're making complete circuits between the two sets of wires, connecting all pos and neg poles together. that's a bad thing. Do it externally to the pack, and all is well, as you only connect in series or parallel not both.
bsoder is offline Find More Posts by bsoder
Old Aug 28, 2005, 09:49 PM
Baptised Heathen
Bundaberg, Qld, Australia
Joined Jun 2002
1,365 Posts
Hmmm, that theory didn't last long. You are right of course. Oh well, back to the drawing board.
batman is offline Find More Posts by batman
Old Dec 06, 2005, 06:50 AM
Joined Jan 2002
6,586 Posts
The "Cheap, Easy Pack Balancing While Charging" system avoids the problems discussed here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=449295

- RD
Old Dec 06, 2005, 12:26 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,512 Posts
Here is another solution . Seperate parallel(?) charging of cells wired in series while only using one charger. Yes you still need taps and connectors but this will work with factory built packs.

http://www.amondotech.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=849

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Sep 05, 2006, 01:01 PM
Joined Jan 2002
6,586 Posts
K.I.S.S principle applied - TrueRC 4000 setup in a 2m fun-fly sailplane:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...90#post6020878