HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 29, 2005, 11:00 PM
RC is Lekker!
Johnson City, TN
Joined Feb 2004
879 Posts
My Girlfriend's GWS Beaver Build Thread (With Pics)

Well, I did what no other man has done. I got my girl hooked on electric flight! After flying my last plane, and doing very well, she has decided that she wants to build her own and learn how to fly. We decided on teh Beaver instead of the Slow Stick, as it is still a very docile plane, yet resembles a real aircraft. I will help her on a trainer cord and it shouldnt be a problem.

We picked up the slope glider version, as I already had an extra 350 and 300 motor laying around. Grabbed some servos as well and we were all set.

=====================

Started off by strengthening the rear of the fuse with some epoxy and 1/2oz cloth. Very minimal use to keep weight down. Glued the fuse together and installed the correct dihedral in the wings.

Laid down some of the basic paint as well. Yes, what you see in the pics is true - she wanted it painted pink. Looks great though, and matches her personality.

Let me make everyone aware that while I am offering guidance in this project, she is doing almost all of the work. She wanted this to be her plane and I think that is just fantastic.

Please, anyone who has any tips about this plane, please post them. This is her first plane, so we want it to be as good as possible. Should we be aware of any mods that are needed?

Hope everyone enjoys this thread - more to follow in the next few days.

Here are some pics of what has been done so far. That's my sweetie modeling the plane for me!

She loves the fact that her plane is called a 'Beaver' - makes her smile everytime we talk about it.

nitroaddict is offline Find More Posts by nitroaddict
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2005, 04:42 AM
Alpharetta, GA
Joined Sep 2004
460 Posts
That HOT pink looks really good!

Kevin
aV8ter is offline Find More Posts by aV8ter
Old Jun 30, 2005, 05:45 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,443 Posts
Will you let her fly with a GWS pink TX?
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Jun 30, 2005, 06:00 AM
ypsilanti mi
Joined Nov 2003
1,328 Posts
After you paint the wing I would get a 1/8 wood dowel 36 long dowel from any hard ware store about 50 cents and paint it what ever the color of the wing is, on top of the leading edge you will see a slight impression and this is where the rod will go, take very short pieces of cellophane tape and start taping from the center out about every 6 or 8 inches, then back to the center and go out to the other side tacking the rod in place, the wooden rod will bend to the shape of the dihedral, after this take the 2 inch packing tape and start from the center work out with one inch on top and the other inch of tape folded over underneath, don't rush it. the rod will reach just about where the wing strats to curve., If you want to pre bend the rod a little (buy 2 Just in case you break one) run it under very hot water and bend it slow to the shape of the dihedral
this will really strengthen the wing, with out it the wing will flutter bad and might break, the rod protects the leading edge and also the combo of the rod and 2 inch packing tape make's for a lot stronger wing,
steve ypsi mi is offline Find More Posts by steve ypsi mi
Old Jun 30, 2005, 06:28 AM
RC is Lekker!
Johnson City, TN
Joined Feb 2004
879 Posts
aV8ter - Thanks, I think it looks good as well. She wants some yellow lines on the plane as well. I think it may look better just pink and white - but it's up to her.

GWSCEO - She saw the pink dreamstarter in one of my magazines, and just loves it. We may go that route, or I may giver her my JR 5channel radio, as I am looking to upgrade. Not sure yet.

Steve - Thanks for the tip, that makes alot of sense, simliar to what I did on my old slow stick. I will make sure we add that modification. There was an addendum in the kit talking about doing the same thing with a smaller dowel on the rear horizontal stab.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 08:55 PM
Gravity is my downfall
El Mirage, Az.
Joined Oct 2003
733 Posts
You might want to check out the "Canada's Latest Beaver" threads in this forum. It is dedicated to the GWS Beaver and contains much useful information. There are a couple female pilots who post there. I am sure they would love to see a picture of your pink Beaver.

Ken
Tailspin Ken is offline Find More Posts by Tailspin Ken
Old Jul 01, 2005, 01:24 AM
San Jose ca USA
Joined May 2005
102 Posts
Wo,NICE BEAVER
Warbirdflyr is offline Find More Posts by Warbirdflyr
Old Jul 01, 2005, 06:36 AM
RC is Lekker!
Johnson City, TN
Joined Feb 2004
879 Posts
haha - warbird - we were taking bets when that comment would come up. LMAO!
Old Jul 01, 2005, 07:01 AM
Glue can fix that.
Sunny Miami
Joined May 2004
1,192 Posts
1. keep it light.
2. reinforce the wing. I rec. carbon fiber rod on the leading edge.
Brutus is offline Find More Posts by Brutus
Old Jul 01, 2005, 10:27 AM
Joined Mar 2002
631 Posts
Interesting colors. never thought i would see a pink and white Beaver. wonder if it will hard to see pink and white when its in the air??
burgan is offline Find More Posts by burgan
Old Jul 01, 2005, 12:46 PM
RC is Lekker!
Johnson City, TN
Joined Feb 2004
879 Posts
burgan - My E-Starter is orange and white, and I have no trouble seeing it up there, so I hope this will be fine as well.

She is painting some yellow on it as well, so I think it will be plenty visable when finished.

--------------------------------

To update everyone on the build, both of us have been busy closing out the month with our jobs, so the build was on hold for a few days. She cut out and sanded the cowl last night. We will see each other this evening and tomorrow, so I am sure I will have some more updates and photos to share tonight or tomorrow. Based on what is left, and how bad she want's to get it airborne, I expect it to be completed by tomorrow.
Old Jul 01, 2005, 01:51 PM
victim of the system
Home of the Toledo RC show
Joined Jul 2003
2,486 Posts
Nitro...Go ahead and give her the JR. What are thinking about upgrading to...I have a 6102 and love it ...Since I am building the Air Tractor now I want to upgrade to the 8103....Either or you can't go wrong with them....good luck and good flying to the young lady....Tom TT
TooTall is offline Find More Posts by TooTall
Old Jul 01, 2005, 01:56 PM
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Jul 2002
524 Posts
There are not many places left where a man invite you to look at his girlfriends beaver. In many parts, "dem iz fightin werds".
sa-10 is offline Find More Posts by sa-10
Old Jul 01, 2005, 02:01 PM
Joined Mar 2002
631 Posts
sa-10, when i see that picture of you in your avatatar i hear duelin banjos and pig squealin.
burgan is offline Find More Posts by burgan
Old Jul 01, 2005, 02:53 PM
Negative altitude hurts
Litchfield Park, AZ
Joined Feb 2005
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroaddict
To update everyone on the build, both of us have been busy closing out the month with our jobs, so the build was on hold for a few days. She cut out and sanded the cowl last night. We will see each other this evening and tomorrow, so I am sure I will have some more updates and photos to share tonight or tomorrow. Based on what is left, and how bad she want's to get it airborne, I expect it to be completed by tomorrow.
...patiently waiting for the next beaver shot...
m00se is offline Find More Posts by m00se