HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 29, 2005, 11:26 AM
Memphis, IN, USA
Joined Jan 2001
366 Posts
Profile Pusher Prop-Jet Plan Thread

Hi all

I think GPW had the idea to start a new thread that only talks about all of the wonderful profile FFF and depron pusher prop jet designs that have been coming up. Some examples are the SU-27 and the F-22 designs that have had free plans published. I'll bait the hook and start the thread so we can have details about these exciting planes and successful setups in one place. I'm thinking maybe a stat list similar to the successful power system thread may work once we have a successful setup, other than that, lets discuss the profile jet projects we are working on!

For example on the stat sheet, here is one of mine:

Model: FFF SU-27 built from Stringfly's plans
Motor: J250, 20519
ESC: CC pixie 20
Battery: Lipo, Polyquest 2s1p 1500
Reduction method / ratio: none
Prop: GWS 4x2.5 with silicon fuel tube ca to shaft
Amps: approx. 6 (not measured directly, got from another thread)
Watts: n/a
RPM: n/a
Thrust: approx 5.7 oz (not measured directly)
# Servos / type: (2) align 6 gram micro
Control surfaces: aileron/elevator linked, elevon enabled on radio
Basic airframe weight: n/a
Glue method: hot glue
All up weight (AUW): 9 oz
C/G (measure from tip of nose? let's decide on a standard for these that is easy for newbees): 19" from tip of nose
Typical flight duration: 10 minutes WOT. I bring it in with some reserve.

Comments: Fast yet stable jet design but my plane is not capable of vertical flight or loops. Will complete dirty axial rolls with some loss of altitude, that may just be some tweaking that I need to do. Still very fun, easy to build, and inexpensive.

Plans: Stringfly's SU-27 plans now attached. Hope you don't mind Stringfly, let me know if you want me to remove them.
glovesave39 is offline Find More Posts by glovesave39
Last edited by glovesave39; Jun 29, 2005 at 06:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2005, 09:28 PM
Go Sabres!
Laurel, MD
Joined Aug 2004
809 Posts
Subscribed

I love these too and hope others post.
savall21 is offline Find More Posts by savall21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Aerial Video of Cincinnati Ohio
Old Jul 17, 2005, 09:35 PM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,126 Posts
We always appreciate a new place to learn more things about airplanes ... Good luck ...!!! er, one thing .... you might want to ask first , then post the plans , I think that used to be the correct order.... keeps old guys like us from getting more points ....hahahahaha
I'm flying the same Su-27 with the BP-21/ 3cells/1200lipos /7x6APC ... and it's a real rocket ....and with all that power , climbs forever (well almost ) and does BIG loops ....FUN and funny how more power is a good thing ... ????
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
Old Jul 18, 2005, 02:47 PM
Memphis, IN, USA
Joined Jan 2001
366 Posts
Thanks guys..I actually PMd Stringfly to ask if it was cool to post his plans, but haven't heard anything back, so I'm assuming he is cool with it..

Nonetheless - my latest project is a scratch profile F-14 with wings fully swept (non-movable), 22" wingspan, 33" long with eps350c-b gearing on 9x4.7 prop. Battery is still 2s 1500 lipo mounted way up front. Control surfaces are tailerons. I've been test "flying" it over the weekend.. At first tailheavy, added 7 pennies to nose and it seems to be balanced much better now.. I got her to fly, was about 50 feet up, got some good speed, then it went into a dive and into the soybean field. Not much damage, just a pretty crunched nose. Cut it off, and replaced. I noticed that one of the music wire pushrods had enough flex that I'm guessing when it got up to speed it actually allowed one of the tailerons to flip upside down.. Replaced pure music wire pushrods with part music wire part bamboo skewer (used thread around wire parts and soaked with ca). No slop now! Flew it again yesterday, and woa is it touchy! I saw yet another storm off in the distance (a house a couple of streets over from mine got hit by lightning Saturday night and burnt down!) so I brought it in. Now I've adjusted the epa and made sure dual rates are turned off on the radio. Can't wait to fly her again. It was VERY fast, and that was half throttle! AUW was like 10oz, and according to GWS chart, this motor/gear/prop combe should give me 13oz of thrust at 8.5a. Can't wait to take it vertical! Will post pics and specs later.

Kyle

Here are a couple of pics, pre-"nose job"
Last edited by glovesave39; Jul 18, 2005 at 09:41 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 05:21 PM
Go Sabres!
Laurel, MD
Joined Aug 2004
809 Posts
Sounds cool, post some pictures. I can't believe nobody else is posting to this thread. There are so many of these planes in the groups.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2005, 09:48 PM
Memphis, IN, USA
Joined Jan 2001
366 Posts
Yes, it is surprising to me too that no one has really posted on this yet, but maybe it will get going before too long.

Another round of wind and storms rolled through this evening, so no flying tonight. Maybe tomorrow night things will be calmer (fingers crossed).. Will keep you posted how it does! I'm starting to think though that a mid-ship mounted cdr motor might be a better way to go - it's certainly do-able on the su-27, and I've got a twin tail f-16xl design sitting here waiting for a couple of servos and for me to install a j250 - maybe I will just go brushless on it. Balancing the f-14 with that "big" eps350 in the back is touchy. BTW, savall21, I noticed your avitar appears to be the Buffalo Sabres crest. Hockey fan?
Old Jul 20, 2005, 11:25 AM
Memphis, IN, USA
Joined Jan 2001
366 Posts
Got a chance to fly the f-14 last night.. All I can say is WOW. It does axial rolls pretty nicely, as well as fairly tight (inside) loops. Very fun to take it vertical and pull off a couple of rolls as its ascending. Almost crashed it flying inverted and got it into a tip stall, I let go of the sticks and then recovered it about 10 feet off the deck (boy that got my heart pounding). Maybe I was premature on my statement about the best way being the motor mid-ship. I do think the tailerons are a pain in the behind to get right though (I did not get them exactly right on this ship, but fairly close).

I'll post the spec sheet later tonight. I built this plane from plans I created using MS Visio. It will let me save it as a CAD file, so I'll try that and see if it is usable before posting the CAD, and then maybe someone can take that and convert to PDF. I'll also take some more pics of the setup. Maybe someone can improve upon the overall design and the tailerons!

Ok, spec sheet added. Flew it again tonight, really like this bird!

Model: FFF F-14 built from my own plans
Motor: GWS EPS350c-bs
ESC: CC pixie 20
Battery: Lipo, Polyquest 2s1p 1500
Reduction method / ratio: b gearing
Prop: GWS 9047
Amps: approx. 8.5 (not measured directly, got from GWS table)
Watts: 61.2 (from GWS table)
RPM: n/a
Thrust: approx 13.02 oz (from GWS table)
# Servos / type: (1) align 6 gram micro, (1) gws pico standard (its all I had on hand)
Control surfaces: tailerons, elevon enabled on radio
Basic airframe weight: n/a
Glue method: hot glue
All up weight (AUW): 11.6 oz (with nose repair, and 7 pennies on nose = .7oz)
C/G (measure from tip of nose): 20" from tip of nose
Typical flight duration: 10 minutes w/ some throttle management.

Comments: Fast jet design, capable of vertical flight and fairly tight loops. Will complete axial rolls with minimal loss of altitude. Due to differences in servos and tailerons, will roll to right very tightly, left rolls are a little dirty. Taileron position is critical as is amount of throw on both sides (I got neither perfect in this prototype, but it still flies well!). Doesn't like inverted flight much, but that may just be my piloting skills! Very fun, basic airframe easy to build, but taileron setup a total pain. Fairly inexpensive.
Last edited by glovesave39; Jul 20, 2005 at 08:19 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 05:14 PM
Go Sabres!
Laurel, MD
Joined Aug 2004
809 Posts
F-14 looks tight!! Plans??? Or at least a pointer to any templates?
Keep it up. If you post it they will come....
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2005, 08:18 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,126 Posts
Glov.... NICE!!!! another case for the spare nose ....
Old Aug 18, 2005, 11:55 PM
Yeah, I can fly...
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Jun 2005
2,506 Posts
Way cool!!!

Kyle,
This F-14 is sweet!! So when are you gonna make the wings swing, I(and everybody else on this site) would be really impressed....LOL Too hot to fly out here in AZ. When I do come back to IN, I'll bring something to fly.
Shannon
wyldkrd is online now Find More Posts by wyldkrd
Old Aug 19, 2005, 03:38 AM
Believer in Technology!
Kansas City, MO
Joined Aug 2004
1,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by savall21
Sounds cool, post some pictures. I can't believe nobody else is posting to this thread. There are so many of these planes in the groups.
May be because of this.
PrasadL is offline Find More Posts by PrasadL
Old Aug 19, 2005, 06:20 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,126 Posts
Be patient , they will come !!!
Building a pusher profile Space Shuttle now ....does that qualify ....???
Old Aug 19, 2005, 09:45 AM
Krued Up
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Jul 2004
4,504 Posts
P1111
cdrom w/ 3x3 prop

i will start another in the coming days and post pics.
snolord1 is offline Find More Posts by snolord1
Old Aug 20, 2005, 11:47 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,126 Posts
Mine's almost ready ....just looks fast , and it's LIGHT !!!!!
Old Aug 21, 2005, 03:47 AM
Hoofddorp, Netherlands
Joined Sep 2004
3,917 Posts
I believe there's already a sticky with pusher prop jet plans in the pusher prop jets forum. Just needs spedicifcation as to whether it is a profile, semi profile or full fuse setup.
Arthur P. is offline Find More Posts by Arthur P.