HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 28, 2005, 12:01 AM
United States, NY, Saugerties
Joined Jun 2005
91 Posts
Gallery
Futaba RF Module Pinout

I'm working on a personal project and I'm trying to figure out the middle pin of this module(FP-TP-FM), so far I've come up with(looking at the back of the radio, with the module board installed, and calling the left most pin "1")

1 - PCM/PPM Signal from Radio
2 - V+
3 - ??
4 - GND
5 - RF Out

I'm not sure what pin 3 is, the signal on it looks like a weak copy of the RF out signal, is it perhaps the pin used to indicate to the radio that the module is plugged in? I'm going to throw it on a better scope at work and see what I come up with. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
jcaywood is offline Find More Posts by jcaywood
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2005, 05:16 AM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,179 Posts
Pin 3 is the RF output indicator. It pulls down to ground when RF is detected at the collector of the final amp.
Bruce Abbott is offline Find More Posts by Bruce Abbott
Old Jun 28, 2005, 08:34 AM
United States, NY, Saugerties
Joined Jun 2005
91 Posts
Thank you very much!
jcaywood is offline Find More Posts by jcaywood
Old Jun 29, 2005, 03:31 AM
Joined Dec 2004
32 Posts
Hi , Bruce
Do you have the full schematic of futaba rf module?
icedog is offline Find More Posts by icedog
Old Jun 29, 2005, 05:07 AM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,179 Posts
I have traced out the circuit of 60MHz unit, but only the part posted above has been translated into electronic form (the original drawing is very messy and may even be wrong in a few places).

Here is another drawing that I found on a Russian website. It's tidier than mine, and possibly more relevant as it shows a 72MHz version.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 02:06 AM
Joined Dec 2004
32 Posts
thank you ,Bruce.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 08:59 PM
I'd rather be flying...
Pittsburgh PA
Joined Jun 2004
13 Posts
I have a 9C on 50 MHz and I have access to a Spectrum Analyzer. My 9c is transmitting on 50.86 and it should be on 50.88. Can someone tell me which pot(s) in the RF module to tweak to bring it in line?

Thanks
Lew H.
n0kjf is offline Find More Posts by n0kjf
Old Jun 30, 2005, 10:26 PM
Manila, Philippines
Joined Jul 2004
1,203 Posts
nOKJF, I guess there is nothing wrong with your RF Modules......your transmitter is operating at 50.880 MHZ, but your Spectrum Analyzer is reading at 50.86, I guess the 20 Khz offset is due to the PPM modulation....you have to remove the modulation in order to get an accurate operating frequency....its a complicated task of tuning the Transmitter modules.

its not just simple removing the PPM modulation signal, you have to inject a proper modulating signal.

I guess, the absolute accuracy is not important here, its the Matching or Tuning of your receiver to its Matching Transmitter Modules.

If anybody know the procedure, about tuning the transmitter modules, It would be very interesting leard.
lazy-b is offline Find More Posts by lazy-b
Old Jul 01, 2005, 01:42 AM
Joined Dec 2004
32 Posts
I don't think so, remote control is narrow band, it only has no more than 10k bandwith, it should within 50.880M + 3k and 50.880 - 3k.

Isn't it ?
Old Jul 01, 2005, 06:07 AM
Man
Hong Kong
Joined Aug 2004
41 Posts
I have a FP-7UAPS transmitter. Recently, I had turn on the transmitter and found out there was not RF output. I immediately put another RF module for test. It is still not RF output. After reading Bruce Abbott’s full schematic of Futaba RF module, I tested transmitter pin 2 and pin 4; it is found that the pin 2 does not have any DC supply. I prepare to send the transmitter to Futaba for repair but they have already stopped to repair FP-7UAPS in 2003.
Can anyone help ?
Man is offline Find More Posts by Man
Old Jul 01, 2005, 06:11 AM
Manila, Philippines
Joined Jul 2004
1,203 Posts
Icedog, Yes, your right a 20 Khz difference is too large....any way my point is you can not just measure the output frequency with ppm signal modulating the carrier......the ppm signal has to be converted to steady constant DC voltages.......or a ppm can be replace by a 50% duty-cycle square wave, and using Spectrum Analyser to adjust for minimum side band splatter.

I guess a frequency counter would be a better equipment to check the Transmitter output frequency......by just putting the Futaba Transmitter near the Frequency Counter, you can monitor the actual frequency output, this will only work on PPM/FM only. my Frequency Counter can not lock on frequecy using PCM mode, I think due to PCM signal, that produce a random like signal that make difficult for frequency counter detect.

MAN, your problem might be due to PCB break in the terminal post that connect the Transmitter Modules and the Transmitter.

due to frequent INSERT and REMOVE of Transmitter Modules, the TERMINAL POST tends to create a hairline Break......lots of FUTABA 7UHP or FF7 owner experience this problem and cause Crashes. I use to have the 7UHP transmitter also, I have added an additional Stranded wire, by directly soldeing the wire from the Terminal post to the circuit.

all 7UHP and FF7 transmitter use a SINGLE SIDED PCB, this can cause a Hairline Crack on PCB.....its nice to know the FUTABA have already improve on the 9CHP transmitter, they use DOUBLE SIDE PCB, to avoid this problem any more.
lazy-b is offline Find More Posts by lazy-b
Last edited by lazy-b; Jul 01, 2005 at 07:55 AM.
Old Jul 01, 2005, 09:01 AM
I'd rather be flying...
Pittsburgh PA
Joined Jun 2004
13 Posts
To 20 KHz difference first showed up during a range test with a new receiver, we only got about 65 feet. After that we looked at the Spectrum Analyzer and saw it was calling the center 50.860 MHz. Anyway, I hate to just play around with unknown pots just to see what it does without knowing the potential side effects. We checked on PPM and PCM and it centers on 50.860 MHz on both. With the poor result on the range check, 20 KHz clearly makes a difference.

Thanks for the thoughts,

Lew H
n0kjf is offline Find More Posts by n0kjf
Old Jul 01, 2005, 08:40 PM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,179 Posts
20KHz isn't just a bit off, it's on another channel! Your receiver should not be responding at all. Before trying to retune, I suggest verifying the TX crystal's frequency. If the paper label is correct, peel it off and check that it matches the frequency marked on the can .

If the crystal is OK and the frequency really is 20KHz off, there is probably a fault in the modulator circuit which should be fixed rather than masked by retuning (assuming it is even possible to adjust out that much error). Bearing that in mind, here is the tuning procedure...

The modulator has two trimpots for adjusting the high and low frequencies, typically + and - 1.5~1.8KHz from the channel center frequency. Note that so-called 'FM' R/C transmitters actually use FSK (Frequency Shift Keying), therefore there is no adjustment for center frequency.

You need to disable the normal PPM/PCM input and apply fixed high and low signals. It may be possible to do this through the trainer port. When the PPM input is high, one pot will be more sensitive than the other. Trim the sensitive pot for the high frequency (eg. 50.8818MHz), then set the PPM input low and trim the other pot for the low frequency (eg. 50.8782MHz). Repeat until both high and low frequencies are correct. Your frequency measuring device should be accurate to +-100Hz or better.
Old Jul 02, 2005, 06:50 AM
Man
Hong Kong
Joined Aug 2004
41 Posts
lazy-b, I have tested PCB side of the RED pin and BLACK pin next to the TERMINAL POST and also does not have any DC supply. The problem still cannot be solved.

Thanks for your advice.
Man is offline Find More Posts by Man
Old Jul 03, 2005, 03:50 AM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2002
816 Posts
Check wires to the module board... all the way back to the regulator
SlopeKing is offline Find More Posts by SlopeKing