SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Jun 26, 2005, 11:41 PM
Team Tracon !!!
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Jan 2003
2,747 Posts
Canada's Latest Beaver VII

Welcome to Canada's Latest Beaver VII !!!

There is always hope....Do your part and bring a GWS Beaver back to life !!!

Sam
Tracon is offline Find More Posts by Tracon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2005, 12:39 AM
BFU Pilot
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Apr 2005
514 Posts
Somehow, I doubt that Beaver would fit on my building table...
EdrickV is offline Find More Posts by EdrickV
Old Jun 27, 2005, 12:46 AM
Team Tracon !!!
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Jan 2003
2,747 Posts
Glad to see you over here....

When I get back from commercial fishing this summer, I'll be building another Beaver...

Sam
Tracon is offline Find More Posts by Tracon
Old Jun 27, 2005, 01:33 AM
Crossville, TN
Joined Dec 2004
2,907 Posts
Radiobum,after PM ing you,remembered something...the 300C is 'happy' with a 1080...in the same manner that the 350C seems to do better with a 1047.My first Beaver came with the 300C/1080 set up and it performed well.The last Beaver came with the 350C/1047 set up...it ended up as a replacement/upgrade in a 100C Beaver that a flying buddy got from Tower.The original 300C ended up in the latest Beaver and is still happily turning a 1080.The original Beaver got the wheels cut off and the added floats.The 300C did a great job off the water.It was replaced with a Park 370 out runner when I got seduced into the brushless/lipo thing...oddly enough,the off water performance didn't change that much.It is alot quieter.
L8TR art
Art Schmitz is offline Find More Posts by Art Schmitz
Old Jun 27, 2005, 07:49 AM
Mike
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Joined Nov 2004
540 Posts
I was pleasantly suprised with the 300,,,, my BBB is on the heavy side with paint, LG mod, wing spar and repairs,,,, I few it with a very heavy 1600 mil nimh pack (6 oz.) and it was very OK,,,, reminded me of flyng a 75 hp Champ,,, Not too much power but any less would not get the job done,,,,

In some ways it is easier to fly with the 300 rather than the 350,,,, a little more tame,,,

Oh,,, I spent my Father's Day money at the LHS,,,, bought a GP Rimfire and ESC,,,, Then I got a deal on a used Park 400 which is going in my Corsair,,, So that frees up the Park 370 too,,,, So now I have to select which one goes into BBB-3,,,,,

Mike
Radiobum is offline Find More Posts by Radiobum
Old Jun 27, 2005, 07:54 AM
What power line?
Rocky Mountains
Joined Aug 2004
3,507 Posts
See? I gave this guy a few hints and tips to paint his plane and it came out fine! Thanks Sam for putting up a picture that I can see the detail on. You know, those doors look, well, different than the door I have (with a half moon carved out of it). Now I can see the detail. Pretty thin foam they use, eh?
Welcome home, Art. Haven't torn up your struts, or the plane attached to them. Haven't even broken the prop! Put THAT in you pipe and smoke it! Still flying with my thumbs. Gotta give up this smoking so I can hold the Tx properly. I could probably funnel my tobacco money into the modeling world. And be healthier? Who knows.
Battery's on charge for my early morning flight. Happy Monday to all.
PoudreDerf is offline Find More Posts by PoudreDerf
Old Jun 27, 2005, 07:56 AM
What power line?
Rocky Mountains
Joined Aug 2004
3,507 Posts
Just noticed. Do I see THREE Beavers in the picture? Two fuselages and one elevator? Where are these planes? Why can't I get one?
PoudreDerf is offline Find More Posts by PoudreDerf
Old Jun 27, 2005, 08:18 AM
rc transports rule!
new brunswick canada
Joined Jul 2002
1,301 Posts
geees
i didn't know GWS made BIG beavers
wanna donate one to me?
LOL
i'm the kind of nut that would tackle building a big beaver like that too
lol
i found a souce for depron here in canada now
WEEEEEEEEEEE
i can get 1.5mm,2,3,5mm
also carbon fibre
guys name is Steve Burgess
http://www.remote-control-rc-hobby.com/index.html

in case anyone is interested

i just made an inquiry to the total shipped to me
well i guess it should go back to work on my scratch building of the beaver

btw
a friend of mine here in town also fell in love with the beaver
i'm gonna scratch build one for him too
he saw mine in progress and can't wait for his
i think i'll just give mine to him and build the second for myself
feels good to help others doesn't it
ahh, another freebee leaving soon
lol
derailed is offline Find More Posts by derailed
Old Jun 27, 2005, 10:03 AM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
I'm In guys! I'll be starting my build very soon.
TeamTEOR is offline Find More Posts by TeamTEOR
Old Jun 27, 2005, 11:57 AM
rc transports rule!
new brunswick canada
Joined Jul 2002
1,301 Posts
thought i'd post a link

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...84#post3950436

i started a thread showing my scratch building of the DHC-2 beaver
as usual, any comments or/and assistance always welcome
derailed is offline Find More Posts by derailed
Old Jun 27, 2005, 12:14 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
Congrat's Edrick on your maiden flights. Always love to here these little flying stories esp when it's a new plane. Now you can start 'improving' things as they take normal wear and tear. Keeping the battery in with tape just as you did is a simple enough fix.
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Learn the ICAO alphabet anyone?
Old Jun 27, 2005, 12:28 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
Flew my Beaver for the first time since dunking it in the lake at Chilliwack. I'd used up my batts on the Pete so a fellow EEF member, Victor, offered the use of his 2s 850mAh Lipo. Had to stuff the battery compartment full of foam (soft mattress type stuff) to keep it from flopping around. Sure was light! Set the timer for 6 minutes 'cause my esc is not LiPo 'aware'. Man did it fly great 2oz lighter! Wow! Just can't believe it. Lots of scale like climbouts, stall turns and cruising around at 70-80% throttle. All to soon someone called '2 minutes', then '30 seconds'. I cut power and banked into the 'canyon' letting it drop steeply gliding toward the lake. Then powered back up a bit (where are those flaps eh?) and leveled off nice and low looking for the perfect spot, watching for deadheads . It touched the water - er - grass and started to slide. I throttled up some more to taxi it in and it stopped a few meters from us 2 seconds before the timer started beeping.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 27, 2005, 05:44 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
Volume VI

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365085

And for those wishing to read some history...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87022
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 27, 2005, 07:32 PM
BFU Pilot
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Apr 2005
514 Posts
Managed to get the one strut mount off the wing and glued both of them on, rotated 90 degrees, with epoxy. In the process I found out that queue tips don't work that well with epoxy. But we've got some little bamboo fork things (no idea why) and the back of them works alright. Think I'll reuse the pin holes that are in the strut and drill new holes through the clevises. I hope. Tape to hold the battery in is good as a quick fix, but I'm not sure how much I trust the tape we have. It isn't the reinforced type. Looked into the idea of using a rubber band from strut mount to strut mount to hold the battery in, but the rubber band isn't centered. Adding the battery hatch helps that a little bit, but it's still not all that secure. Am thinking that using velcro to hold the battery in and not using the battery hatch at all may be my best option.

I did reinforce the rudder tape by putting some of that clear packing tape over it. (Too many fit adjustments weakened the tape I think.) Rebent my rudder's z bend. Not sure it's much of an improvement. For my second Beaver (and other planes) I'll be looking into alternate means of securing the pushrods to the control horns. Something easily adjustable (without having to bend/unbend wire) that can handle multiple wire sizes would be perfect.
EdrickV is offline Find More Posts by EdrickV
Old Jun 27, 2005, 08:56 PM
Electric since 1990
East Central Ohio, United States
Joined Jun 2004
3,735 Posts
Dubro Easy Connectors come in different sizes for different size wire and work well.
Foamaholic is offline Find More Posts by Foamaholic
Closed Thread