HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 26, 2005, 04:25 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,859 Posts
Tailboom repair

Well, I have an F3F plane on which I've cracked the tailboom, right at the wing saddle. It's been sitting idle for way too long. Time to repair, me thinks!

Here are some pics of the injured item. Am I missing something, or would you have extended the Kevlar farther forward if you had been laying this up yourself??
Notice where the Kevlar ends (it's gold colored), where the break is, etc. I intend to make it stronger in this area, hopefully not finding a new "weak" spot...

T
target is offline Find More Posts by target
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2005, 05:33 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,859 Posts
What's for lunch???

Carbon!

I made a pattern out of posterboard first, to get the tapered area aft of the wing saddle correctly sized and shaped.
Then the reinforcement was cut out of 4.1oz uni-carbon, after it got a light spray of 3M77 to keep it from unraveling after cutting.
The 3M spray also allows me to attach it to the fuse in the correct place, or pull it off, and re-attach it, before I break out the West Systems....
Then the West was mixed in a dixie cup in the proper weighed proportions. After a thorough mix, then it was poured on a plate, so it wouldn't "go off" too fast. I used the 205 hardener/105 resin.
Brushed on with a 1" throw away brush. Use gloves!

I made one mistake-
I should have cut and tacked my inner patch of Kevlar, and had it in place, then did both epoxy applications at once. Oh well, not the end of the world.

T
Old Jun 26, 2005, 05:35 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
My fix would a layer of 6 oz cloth epoxied from the nose to the same distance aft of the break, on the outside.
CF might be useful here, but I have little experience with large amounts of CF.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Jun 26, 2005, 05:46 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,859 Posts
SP-
I'm still planning on backing up the outside repair with an inner piece of Kevlar; but, if you look closely at the first group of pics, this fuse design incorporates an inner nose, which slides into the tailboom. So, I will have to be very careful not to bugger up the inner area where they overlap. Otherwise, I'd have prefered to make a "pretty" repair all inside. Of course, the break is about 1/2"- 1" after the overlapped area.

But, function IS beauty, they say. At this point, I'm interested in flying the plane, and hopefully not having future problems.
Feel free to point out any helpful advice; it's all appreciated.

Target
Last edited by target; Nov 23, 2005 at 03:54 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 06:18 PM
It's alive, alive!
Cambria, Ca
Joined Apr 2004
366 Posts
Target,

Go man, go.

Get that trini back in the air where it belongs.
jfseaman is offline Find More Posts by jfseaman
Old Jun 26, 2005, 06:59 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by target
SP-
I'm still planning on backing up the outside repair with an inner piece of Kevlar; but, if you look closely at the first group of pics, this fuse design incorporates an inner nose, which slides into the tailboom. So, I will have to be very careful not to bugger up the inner area where they overlap. Otherwise, I'd have prefered to make a "pretty" repair all inside. Of course, the break is about 1/2"- 1" after the overlapped area.

But, funtion IS beauty, they say. At this point, I'm interested in flying the plane, and hopefully not having future problems.
Feel free to point out any helpful advice; it's all appreciated.

Target
Lightweight Spackle and sandpaper makes beauty again..
Where at you get the CF cloth?
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Jun 26, 2005, 07:14 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,859 Posts
Actually it is what they call 80/20 CF; it's CF in one direction, and glass the other.

I got the 4.1 oz at Aircraft Spruce and Specialty in Corona, CA. It's in the "Composites" section of the online catalog. They also have great prices on 1/32" ply for PSSer wing skins.

I also purchased some lighter 3.5 oz for wing skins at CarbCom in Hawaii, a while back.

T
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/newordership.php
Old Jun 26, 2005, 09:19 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,859 Posts
So, the repair to the outside is complete. Why spackle and paint; I think I like the "Carbon Accents"....
I made another patch on the inside out of 2.0 oz Kevlar, which I probably didn't need, but what the heck, right?
Here are the pics:

T
Last edited by target; Jun 27, 2005 at 12:18 AM.
Old Sep 04, 2005, 05:01 PM
Ain't Dutch? Ain't Mutch!
Southampton, UK
Joined Oct 2001
3,384 Posts
Nice. Thanks for the thread!

What did you end up painting it with? Or did you not paint it?

J.
Kimble_Schmitz is offline Find More Posts by Kimble_Schmitz
Old Sep 04, 2005, 06:05 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,859 Posts
No paint, badge of courage, baby.
Plus, the grip is much better with the texture.

T
Old Sep 04, 2005, 06:07 PM
Tryin not to be a hack!!
SoCal
Joined May 2004
1,797 Posts
Scared me Target ......Dude....thought this was a new thread for a minute!!!!

Phweeeeew
Aerobat152A is offline Find More Posts by Aerobat152A
Old Sep 04, 2005, 06:09 PM
Ain't Dutch? Ain't Mutch!
Southampton, UK
Joined Oct 2001
3,384 Posts
Lolll

Yeah, your repair area is in the grab location. Makes sence!

Cool!

J.
Kimble_Schmitz is offline Find More Posts by Kimble_Schmitz
Old Sep 05, 2005, 01:39 AM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,527 Posts
If you do decide to do body work, nitro-stan is a great spot filler. Wait till you see the repair on my Ellipse.
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Sep 05, 2005, 12:02 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,859 Posts
No bodywork, here, for the reason noted above. It's a race plane, so who cares? The rest of the plane is in good shape. Everyone who's launched my plane has noted how nice a grip the carbon patch is to hold....

Did you maiden that F3B Trinity yet, David??

T
Old Sep 05, 2005, 12:44 PM
Yorba Linda, Ca.
Joined Oct 2003
2,191 Posts
Maiden?

Target:

Yes he did yesterday it flew awesome it was quite the spectacle in one particular turn...bit of heavy handed turn and a flat spin recovery that was awesome. It met with a broken servo arm in a later landing easy repair.David needs to remember to pull up those barn doors a bit sooner... no worries easy cheap repair opposed to replacing a servo the plane look's great in the air and is very fast. His Ellipse looks great he indeed has a talent for repairs as well as racing F3, I lack both but I did have fun.

ALan
Terminator is offline Find More Posts by Terminator