HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2005, 10:51 PM
Watts the Point
KY,USA
Joined Jul 2004
1,866 Posts
Warbirds-RC/K&A Models F-84F Thunderstreak

I Contacted Markos after the RBC Contest on Warbirds and had him also send me the K&A Thunderstreak, I liked the way it looked and appeared to be a pretty nice kit for a Minifan 480 setup. There was one other thread that I found regarding building this kit but it seems to be fizzling out so I decided to start a new thread for mine. Here goes.....
The Kit as I recieved it consists of the fiberglass fuselage, two pre sheated wings a small sack containing some wood peices of various sizes and shapes and a 10 page set of instructions printed on 8.5 X 11. The construction looks pretty straight forward with the exception of the elevator wich between the servo mounting location and the linkage seems to be the only tricky part. The kit very much resembles the same construction process as my EAM Mig-17 Fresco I built a few years ago except that none of the formers are precut, the kit provides you with various templates that must be cut out of the supplied wood. No big deal although in this age of CAD, CAM, and CNC setups I had gotten use to nice precut pieces that required little more than a light sanding, but I'll live. The model calls for either a Minifan 480 or a 609 unit, the latter requiring a little chopping and grinding to get it on. Being that I am flying 480 size jets already and have some power systems available as well as a new Minifan I chose the 480 route. The controls are elevator and aileron although one might fit a rudder to it as all that would be required as to hook up some linkage to the rudder that must be attached to the vertical stab anyway. I will be going with the easy setup, aileron/elevator. As for Power systems I have a few choices available:

(A) Mega 16/15/2 on 3S2P 2000+ Lipos approx a 450 watt setup
(B) Het EDF 3W 3 Turn on 4S2P 2000+ Lipos approx 450 watt setup also.
(C) Astro 806W on a 3S2P 2000+ Lipo approx 480 watt setup.
(D) Kontronic 480-42 on a 3S 2-4P setup anywhere from 5300-6600 Mah total, approx 550 watt setup.

I'll worry about this as I appoach the motor installation portion.
netmechanic is offline Find More Posts by netmechanic
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2005, 11:07 PM
Watts the Point
KY,USA
Joined Jul 2004
1,866 Posts
The first thing I did was o pull everything out of the box so i could get a look at what i had to work with. The fuselage is very nice with a few pits from the molding process and the canopy is molded very nicely also, it is a two piece deal with the fiberglass framing and then a clear window section to go under the fiberglass. After running around the house for a few minutes with the fuselage making machine gun noises at my cat I moved on to the wings which were still packaged in their saddles from the sheating process. The first thing I noticed about the wings is how thick they are, they have a very meaty airfoil and the sheating job was done very well, the servo locations are marked and the servo wire groove is already cut, you must attach the leading edge and wingtips and sand to shape.
Old Jun 25, 2005, 11:11 PM
Watts the Point
KY,USA
Joined Jul 2004
1,866 Posts
I went ahead and attached the leading edges and wingtips to the wings using 20 min epoxy and then set them aside to cure, I'll save sanding them until I run out of other things to do as I hate sanding.
Old Jun 25, 2005, 11:23 PM
Watts the Point
KY,USA
Joined Jul 2004
1,866 Posts
Next I cut out the templates suppied in the instructions for the forward and aft formers. The wood supplied for these was 1/8" plywood and they give you no extra, the templates just barely fit onto the two supplied pieces, the wood is cut to fit and one is bigger than the other so pay attention. Also I made a copy of the templates before cutting them out so if I botched one I'd have a nice clean copy to clone again.

I glued the templates straight onto the wood using a very thinned out mixture of 5 min epoxy and alcohol and after drying trimmed off the excess plywood with some heavy duty scissors and then sanded the rest with 80 grit. Using my Fischer-Price little tyke circle cutter I cut about 80% of the way through on the inside of the formers where the ducting goes and after a little more fitting, thinking, and sanding i will remove the center sections.
Old Jun 25, 2005, 11:36 PM
Watts the Point
KY,USA
Joined Jul 2004
1,866 Posts
So far the one issue I forsee is the installation of the fan. The way the plans call for the fan to be mounted looks like a real pain in the A$$ to get the motor in and out. The plan calls for the forward former to be glued in at the root of the leading edge molding, this leaves the opening between that and the back of the canopy cutout very small and a very tight fit to get your hand or the fan into for screwing around with the guts.
Old Jun 25, 2005, 11:41 PM
Watts the Point
KY,USA
Joined Jul 2004
1,866 Posts
I think I'll make a copy of the forward former that I can mount about 5 more inches forward and cut the existing former down like a saddle. Then i can make a sleeve aout of the ducting that eill allow me to easily remove the motor/fan as I did on my Mig-17 Kit.
Well thats all for now, I'll post more pics as I progress
Old Jun 25, 2005, 11:59 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,047 Posts
Great, I'm liking this kit for sure. Thanks for posting.
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2005, 07:41 AM
Evil Genius
Loveland, OH
Joined May 2005
98 Posts
Wonder if this kit might be a candidate for the Minifan 480 and the new HET 2W-20 700W motor? Looks like it could handle the extra battery weight to support the big load motor.
rongreg13 is offline Find More Posts by rongreg13
Old Jun 26, 2005, 09:03 AM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,778 Posts
Wonder if this thing would also benefit from a split fuse like the Mig 17's for better placment and access?

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Jun 26, 2005, 09:35 AM
orlando fl
Joined Oct 2000
5,713 Posts
I thought I was the only one that ran around the house making machine gun noises from planes. We guys are a strange breed. I wonder if the 2 female modelers in the world to the same. keep the pics coming. I know it would be a big chance, but I wonder it the fuse could be split at the mid section to make the fan mounting easier? Perhap the manufacturer could look into this, as I would be very leery of cuting my fuse in half. A little engineering on how to join the fuse and retain the nessasary strengh would go a long way to making things like servicing the fan much easier. Good luck with the project.
dave morris is offline Find More Posts by dave morris
Old Jun 26, 2005, 10:53 AM
Watts the Point
KY,USA
Joined Jul 2004
1,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave morris
I thought I was the only one that ran around the house making machine gun noises from planes.
Nope your not the only one I also play with Star Wars action figures and recreate the battle for Hoth on my living room floor .

As for hacking open the fuselage, that wont be necessary, Ive already started on a 3rd former to go more in the front area of the canopy opening. With the one @ the leading edge root I'll just hack it down into a saddle leaving the top open, create a slip joint in the ducting and that way all I have to do is slide the small section of duct out and then I can remove the motor. I'll post some pics of my Mig-17 that shows the general idea.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 12:11 PM
Watts the Point
KY,USA
Joined Jul 2004
1,866 Posts
Here's some pics of the new former and it's intended location.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 12:41 PM
Watts the Point
KY,USA
Joined Jul 2004
1,866 Posts
Now all sanded down and with the holes for the ducting removed.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 03:16 PM
Watts the Point
KY,USA
Joined Jul 2004
1,866 Posts
Too hot to go melt lipos right now so I worked on the F-84 a little more this afternoon. Installed the fron section of ducting I made into the mouth of the intake. Used 20min epoxy and secured it in place, later I will sad the intake so it has a ice rounded lip. Modified the Kits former for easy access to the fan, The battery tray installation will tie the area together structuraly
Old Jun 26, 2005, 03:40 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,778 Posts
GMTA Dave. And I know what you, it's scarey hacking a fuse, but it works well for the K&A Mig17!

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000