HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2005, 06:51 PM
Joined Feb 2005
17 Posts
Mini IFO Power? (need for speed)

I am getting a mini to go with my MK 3 for my birthday. What motor set up to use. I would prefer direct drive as the gearbox on my Mk 3 is a pain. I will get a brushless for sure. It must make the plane fairly fast with full vertical ability. My friend usually flies at 1/4 throttle.I was also thinking of modding the tail for rudder control. Anyone think thats a good/bad idea. I've seen the mod in the forums and think I could build it that way no sweat but was wondering if it was worth it??There are some manuevers that you can't do without a rudder.I'm asking the motor question because I'm pretty new at this and don't want to invest in the wrong set up. My Mk3 flies great but I wish I would have used a different motor to get more speed out of it. I love to go fast!!!
The dude is offline Find More Posts by The dude
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2005, 09:05 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,363 Posts
I fly several scratch built Mini IFO's which are approximaterly plus 10% size wise. They are built stronger tan stock one. I use seversl motors but my favorite is a LensRC CDR motor. 20 mm Totor 25T. I fly with a GWS EP 8X4.3 or GWS DD 8X4 Xprop and either 2S or 3S Lipolys .
LensRC is here.

Here is a photo with a APC prop on it but GWS ones do work better.

Added: You mentioned need for speed , 8X4 being turned 8,200 RPMs with 3S with is pitch speed of 31 HPH . I had to add another CF tube to the main frame to stop flexing / warping with high speed turns.

FYI : that motor has over 110 hours of run time on it since 10-19-04 and still runs like the first flight.

A post in the ParkFlyers would most likely get more responces.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Jun 26, 2005 at 10:43 AM.